Jump to content

Scammed by landlord


Recommended Posts

Hi, I made a huge mistake and paid for a condo that turned out to be filthy. I wanted a monthly retreat in another city and found one on fb. Looked good, so I paid 14k baht for 1 month and then later I signed a contract with an agent. I also paid 14k in deposit.

 

Contract was never signed by the owner as apparently she is abroad on a business trip.

 

Condo turned out to be dirty and infested with ants. I had them clean it but it didn't help so I moved out after 3 nights. Owner has returned me the deposit but is refusing to return the rent and she is also saying we never signed any contract.

 

Can I get the money back, is there any chance? Will I waste the money and time on lawyer and police? I understand I will probably loose it, even if on lawyer fees, but I want the landlord to bear the consequences of being a scammer if possible.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

I paid for clean and nice room, not bugs infested

 

Contract never signed

 

Why would I be grateful about deposit? It's normal to return it in case nothing got damaged

You didn't inspect the apartment first?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

   Ants are quite common in condos and to get rid of them you just have to remove the food source and they will go elsewhere 

Ant poison is also very cheap and very effective, killing the queen ants in each hive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Clearly the place was not what was promised.

 

You’re being extremely harsh on the Op... its not his fault the place is filthy,

So why did he choose to move in if it was so filthy?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

He wanted to rent an ant infested room? The agent informed him before renting that the room is ant infested? I don't think so, so he didn't get what he paid for.

 

 

If you have enough free time you can file a police report. If there will ever be any outcome ..... who know....

But while you do the police report (and you have printouts of the chat etc. on the table with the police offer), you might want to take some pictures of it, and send this together with the police report to the land lord to inform him that you reported him to police, maybe he gets scared and decides to refund the money.

Yeah, right.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So why did you choose to pay and move in, then?

Often its to save on a few nights hotel bills .

Instead of moving to an area and spending a few days looking around at properties , they cut corners and book online without seeing the place first , saves money on a few nights at hotels

Link to post
Share on other sites

Facebook looks sketchy with what looks like people taking out yearly leases and subletting, or just regular people posing as agents. I'm going to stick with a brick & mortar agency.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Often its to save on a few nights hotel bills .

Instead of moving to an area and spending a few days looking around at properties , they cut corners and book online without seeing the place first , saves money on a few nights at hotels

I know that, I was asking him why he chose to move in if it was as sh1tty as he claimed, no one forced him to, I don't think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know that, I was asking him why he chose to move in if it was as sh1tty as he claimed, no one forced him to, I don't think.

They take great photo's and fool people, or even photo's of a different unit, or mis-represent it to make a sale.
Many people don't have the time to check every little detail on everything before they commit.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

He wanted to rent an ant infested room? The agent informed him before renting that the room is ant infested? I don't think so, so he didn't get what he paid for.

 

 

If you have enough free time you can file a police report. If there will ever be any outcome ..... who know....

But while you do the police report (and you have printouts of the chat etc. on the table with the police offer), you might want to take some pictures of it, and send this together with the police report to the land lord to inform him that you reported him to police, maybe he gets scared and decides to refund the money.

File a police report as there are ants. ROFL

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

They take great photo's and fool people, or even photo's of a different unit, or mis-represent it to make a sale.
Many people don't have the time to check every little detail on everything before they commit.

Where have you seen the photos of the condo ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Where does it say that the owner agreed to a certain level of cleanliness ?

Thats a silly comment - its like writing “where does say the toilet flushed”....  

There is a perfectly reasonable assumption that a place is clean and liveable. 

 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

  As the Condo was cleansed as requested by the OP and he wasn't happy, that suggests the condo was old .

It had an ant-infestation... 

 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

  He really should have had a look before agreeing to live in the condo

Agreed...  naive of the Op.. but that doesn't place him the wrong. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...