Scammed by landlord

Hi, I made a huge mistake and paid for a condo that turned out to be filthy. I wanted a monthly retreat in another city and found one on fb. Looked good, so I paid 14k baht for 1 month and then later I signed a contract with an agent. I also paid 14k in deposit.

Contract was never signed by the owner as apparently she is abroad on a business trip.

Condo turned out to be dirty and infested with ants. I had them clean it but it didn't help so I moved out after 3 nights. Owner has returned me the deposit but is refusing to return the rent and she is also saying we never signed any contract.

Can I get the money back, is there any chance? Will I waste the money and time on lawyer and police? I understand I will probably loose it, even if on lawyer fees, but I want the landlord to bear the consequences of being a scammer if possible.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Ants are quite common in condos and to get rid of them you just have to remove the food source and they will go elsewhere 

Ant poison is also very cheap and very effective, killing the queen ants in each hive.

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

He wanted to rent an ant infested room? The agent informed him before renting that the room is ant infested? I don't think so, so he didn't get what he paid for.

If you have enough free time you can file a police report. If there will ever be any outcome ..... who know....

But while you do the police report (and you have printouts of the chat etc. on the table with the police offer), you might want to take some pictures of it, and send this together with the police report to the land lord to inform him that you reported him to police, maybe he gets scared and decides to refund the money.

Yeah, right.

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So why did you choose to pay and move in, then?

Often its to save on a few nights hotel bills .

Instead of moving to an area and spending a few days looking around at properties , they cut corners and book online without seeing the place first , saves money on a few nights at hotels

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Often its to save on a few nights hotel bills .

Instead of moving to an area and spending a few days looking around at properties , they cut corners and book online without seeing the place first , saves money on a few nights at hotels

I know that, I was asking him why he chose to move in if it was as sh1tty as he claimed, no one forced him to, I don't think.

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know that, I was asking him why he chose to move in if it was as sh1tty as he claimed, no one forced him to, I don't think.

They take great photo's and fool people, or even photo's of a different unit, or mis-represent it to make a sale.
Many people don't have the time to check every little detail on everything before they commit.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

He wanted to rent an ant infested room? The agent informed him before renting that the room is ant infested? I don't think so, so he didn't get what he paid for.

If you have enough free time you can file a police report. If there will ever be any outcome ..... who know....

But while you do the police report (and you have printouts of the chat etc. on the table with the police offer), you might want to take some pictures of it, and send this together with the police report to the land lord to inform him that you reported him to police, maybe he gets scared and decides to refund the money.

File a police report as there are ants. ROFL

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

They take great photo's and fool people, or even photo's of a different unit, or mis-represent it to make a sale.
Many people don't have the time to check every little detail on everything before they commit.

Where have you seen the photos of the condo ?

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Where does it say that the owner agreed to a certain level of cleanliness ?

Thats a silly comment - its like writing “where does say the toilet flushed”....  

There is a perfectly reasonable assumption that a place is clean and liveable. 

As the Condo was cleansed as requested by the OP and he wasn't happy, that suggests the condo was old .

It had an ant-infestation... 

He really should have had a look before agreeing to live in the condo

Agreed...  naive of the Op.. but that doesn't place him the wrong. 

• Like 1