Three killed, one injured after train collides with car on Hua Hin Soi 94

webfact

Years ago a good friend of mine from Sweden was killed at

the same crossing.

He was on a small motorbike,he was not drunk or stupid.

He had just left my place and went to say good bye to some other

people.

Still a mystery to me why that happened.

The train never stopped,they just called in that they hit some one.

Edited by jvs

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

The train conductor will likely be traumatized for life. Avoiding numskulls is part of what they are trained for. This has to be their greatest nightmare. There is absolutely nothing he could have done, yet this could have been so easily avoided by the driver of the car, who exercised no survival instincts, no intelligence, no patience, no wisdom, no driving skill, nor any regard for those in the car with him, nor their families. A true simpleton, and a real danger to society. It is no surprise the driver was a high ranking policeman. 

cute-style-cartoon-thai-police-officer-illustration-standing-saluting-122585671.jpg

The other one you need to feel sorry for is the crossing guard whose job it is to push the barriers out on both sides as the train approaches and then rolls them back....he/she must have had a hell of a time dealing with the fact some moron tried to squeeze through and lost at playing frogger. The carnage....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theoldgit said:

"Investigators are working to ascertain how and why the accident occurred"

Soi 94 is at the edge of a popular bar area in Hua Hin, maybe there's a link.

"One of the deceased was a senior officer from Hua Hin Police Station"

????

I drive over that crossing frequently but I can’t remember if they have manually operated sliding gates, at 04.00, or automatic gates, either way it shouldn’t have happened.

They have automatic gates, along with red flashing lights and loud sirens at all times. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 300sd said:

No excuse running flashing red lights at a controlled crossing. Although the units pulling these trains mostly do not have working whistles, or they are barely audible.

No, you can hear the klaxon all over Hua Hin on the Khao Takiab side, which is where this train was approaching that crossing from  (excuse  poor English).

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And just how do you know that?

Oh. Too bad it's not that obvious to you. I listened to them going by for about 10 years and not once did I ever hear a whistle of a unit that really worked well. In the West they work, it's law. Here the whistles are pathetic. Hope that answers your question.

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

Oh. Too bad it's not that obvious to you. I listened to them going by for about 10 years and not once did I ever hear a whistle of a unit that really worked well. In the West they work, it's law. Here the whistles are pathetic. Hope that answers your question.

No I'm afraid it's not obvious to me because the nearest trainline to me nowadays is around 260kms! But having said that I used to hear them load and clear when I lived close to the line and a level crossing in Udon Thani, so they're not all duffers. And I also remember the horn be sounded many times when I travelled between UD and Bangkok a couple of times.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do not think high speed trains here would be feasible, or realistic without elevated platforms. So, in reality they would likely be alot safer than the antique trains currently in use. 

I agree. It is doubtful if the high speed trains are viable here but Thailand seems to want them.

2 hours ago, 300sd said:

Here in the Khao Tao area I hear them every time the train is rolling trough the area.  Be it during the day or when it wakes me like at 4 am this past morning.....some people just learn to tune them out, me its a relaxing sound to hear the trains coming or going past my house on the tracks and then of course the horns....so I will agree to disagree with you.

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here in the Khao Tao area I hear them every time the train is rolling trough the area.  Be it during the day or when it wakes me like at 4 am this past morning.....some people just learn to tune them out, me its a relaxing sound to hear the trains coming or going past my house on the tracks and then of course the horns....so I will agree to disagree with you.

Some of their whistles work but not as they should. I did hear them most nights but they are not like in the West where a train can usually be heard before it gets to the crossing. Here, the ones I have heard, do not work very well. Guess it would be interesting to know if that one was working. Perhaps they have repaired some in the last couple years. We do have a mutual agreement though, I love that far away sound at night.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, theoldgit said:

"Investigators are working to ascertain how and why the accident occurred"

Soi 94 is at the edge of a popular bar area in Hua Hin, maybe there's a link.

"One of the deceased was a senior officer from Hua Hin Police Station"

????

I drive over that crossing frequently but I can’t remember if they have manually operated sliding gates, at 04.00, or automatic gates, either way it shouldn’t have happened.

the must be automatic because they were down and the dumb cop tried to drive around the boom gate. You can see that quite clearly in teh video that was on the news on tv.