2 year study visa, just got back to my country, now back to Thailand, will they ask questions?

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Many countries do not even provide visa exempt entries.

It's a very sweet deal that Thailand provides for many countries.

With a Western passport? Tons of countries allow 90 days no visa. Many countries in Asia allow 90 days as well. I don't think 45 days is even slightly generous. Just my opinion. 

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A new passport with the same identity info? Or one with new credentials and a different name? Unless that person has not been to Thailand for many years and there is no information in the data base such as a photo or finger prints, or any matching Information to assist the IO then one might get lucky. The days of changing a passport are over....

The immigration officer flipped through every single page of my new passport when I entered Thailand 3 weeks ago. They did this with my old passports as well. I know what you are saying about they can see info on us but Im not really sure if all of it is in front of his face on one page. After this he spent more time with my tourist visa as well. I thought that was what he would look at first. If they really see all your entries easily on their screen why all the page flipping? 

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

With a Western passport? Tons of countries allow 90 days no visa

I'm Oz (western passport) 

I require a visa for Cambodia, Laos , Vietnam.......just few examples.

Currently Vietnam has taken 3 month multi entry off the table.

All I can get now is a 30 day single entry Visa. 

Cannot do border bounce etc.

Unlike the many that do that in Thailand. 

On 12/8/2022 at 8:21 PM, E020 said:

Lol. maybe if you do this for 10 years. I just did this for 2 years and have blank passport pages. But thanks for the fearmongering, you must be fun at parties

Blank pages don't help in any way. All your travel entries, extensions and exits are in the computer and will be available for review.

11 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Please name one that's as good or better than Thailand. Hint: it's not Malaysia.

I don't really think of countries As good or bad but obviously you do. I think Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong all allow 90 days for many passports. I've only lived in Japan before. It's quite an amazing country with a standard of living that is incredible. Much higher than Thailand and most countries. Also the point I was making has nothing to do with your silly comment.  

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm Oz (western passport) 

I require a visa for Cambodia, Laos , Vietnam.......just few examples.

Currently Vietnam has taken 3 month multi entry off the table.

All I can get now is a 30 day single entry Visa. 

Cannot do border bounce etc.

Unlike the many that do that in Thailand. 

What about Japan , Korea, Malaysia, Taiwan , Hong Kong and Singapore? Asia is more than bordering countries to Thailand. Also Indonesia has VOA for at least 30 days for many countries and Philippines. Which was similar to Thailand. Remember the 45 day scheme is just till 3/31/23. Vietnam offers many countries in Europe too. The countries you listed are not exactly popular entry points from ANYWHERE in the West as well. 

Edited by alex8912

17 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I've only lived in Japan before. It's quite an amazing country with a standard of living that is incredible

Japan is a fantastic country.

We visit 2-3 times per year 

Think comparison to Thailand is slightly silly.

BTW my Thai partner receives 15 day visa exempt entry to Japan.

Anyway done with this off topic chat. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Japan is a fantastic country.

We visit 2-3 times per year 

Think comparison to Thailand is slightly silly.

BTW my Thai partner receives 15 day visa exempt entry to Japan.

Anyway done with this off topic chat. 

The poster I was commenting on asked me if there was a " better " country for n Asia ( than Thailand) and as you must have read my comment I said I don't judge countries like that etc 

I remember years ago, when Bangkok main immigration was still at Suan Phlu, an officer at the counter next to mine looking at a young foreigner's visa in passport... it was ED visa renewal time... Apparently the guy studied Thai language... officer looked at him, then said: big fish eat small fish... farang looked clueless... so officer said again: big fish eat small fish... still confused silence... lastly the officer said: alien is here to have fun, not learn.... again nothing.... extension rejected.

So it could happen. But not at the airport. They only see visa type, but don't have all the paperwork on what the applicant is studying. It could be asked, however, and if foreigner says Thai, it could be tested right there. But not if tourist is entering on a tourist visa. Why would officer be asking tourist about what the reason for his previous trips to Thailand was. Entering on another ED visa of course gives immigration a reason to ask what is being studied.

It is immigration officer's job to filter out those who are trying to game the system or come with non-genuine intent. And just this forum is enough to see they are doing a rather poor job given how many members work around the rules, change visa types and use agents to get them visas and extensions they certainly should not be getting. And that's a big benefit to those breaking rules, but it adds stress to genuine tourists and travelers, as they get quizzed or even rejected for doing nothing wrong.

Fire off...

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Haha 1