Jump to content

Two women in Pattaya duped out of 100,000 baht by scam call center gang


webfact
 Share

Recommended Posts

image.jpeg

 

By Tanakorn Panyadee

 

Pattaya —  A scam call center defrauded two women in Pattaya out of 100,000 baht.


The two victims filed police reports at the Pattaya police station yesterday, December 7th. The first victim, 29-year-old Ms. Anita Teajantuek, said she was lured to fill in a form about her travel agency business by the scam call gang disguising themselves as officials from the Department of Business Development, Ministry of Commerce.

 

The scammer convinced Anita to transfer 83,041 baht from her bank account and cut off contact with her. The victim said she had no money left and was in deep trouble.

 

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/12/08/two-women-in-pattaya-duped-out-of-100000-baht-by-scam-call-center-gang/

 

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-12-09
 

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

 

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, nightfox said:

The 25-year-old victim then transferred her money to the scammer’s bank account out of confusion. However, she realized only when it was too late that she never had a credit card, so she was confident that she had been scammed.

 

You can't fix stupid. 

I guess you can't avoid your details being stolen by hackers as it happens in Australia or all over the world, but this is just plain stupid 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Won't people ever learn :coffee1:

 

Gullible, easily led, greedy.

Victim blaming really.....

We are isolated from it, they seem to pick on Thais, but I get quite a few random phone calls, as does my Mrs. Yes some of the victims are naïve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nightfox said:

she realized only when it was too late that she never had a credit card,

Heh, face saving coverup. No way she was that dumb. Likely the real reason was:

1. Investment scheme with high return

2. Romance scam

3. Supposed fine for some wrongdoing, which she'd then have to admit to

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, webfact said:

by the scam call gang disguising themselves as officials from the Department of Business Development,

Thai's fear their authorities . There have been enough stories about innocent people being harassed for not paying bribes .

Somebody Thai just has to put on some official looking clothes and a " don't you know who I am ? " attitude , and their victims are already submissive . Why did she not ask to see the identification from the " officials " before paying ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Why did she not ask to see the identification from the " officials " before paying ?

Even those cannot be trusted, I wouldn't know one from a Thai Gym membership card! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Even those cannot be trusted, I wouldn't know one from a Thai Gym membership card! 

Show your Sainsbury Nectar card to a cop and he will believe it's an International Driving Licence.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The victim said she had no money left and was in deep trouble.

Yes, stupidity is known to do that little thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The only greed is the scammers - these calls are often threats by people posing as officials who could put them in jail for all kinds of false charges.  

The greed is that of the victims who think they can make 'easy money'.

 

Zero sympathy, if it sounds too good to be true then...........

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Victim blaming really.....

We are isolated from it, they seem to pick on Thais, but I get quite a few random phone calls, as does my Mrs. Yes some of the victims are naïve. 

I would be inquisitive of the phone calls your Mrs is getting.

Maybe the brother calling?🙃🙃

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

The greed is that of the victims who think they can make 'easy money'.

 

Zero sympathy, if it sounds too good to be true then...........

There are a couple of types of scam going round. Ones offering the opportunity to  make money, others whereby the victim is told they are in trouble for something and money is demanded. The latter act in fear rather than greed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lucky Bones said:

I would be inquisitive of the phone calls your Mrs is getting.

Maybe the brother calling?🙃🙃

After all these years even they don't call asking for money. She gets the odd scammer call... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, jacko45k said:

There are a couple of types of scam going round. Ones offering the opportunity to  make money, others whereby the victim is told they are in trouble for something and money is demanded. The latter act in fear rather than greed.

Irrespective, if they are threatened with being in trouble surely it's logical to check all the facts before sending 80K baht?

 

Oh hold on, i mentioned logic - i understand now....

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The scammer convinced Anita to transfer 83,041 baht from her bank account and cut off contact with her. The victim said she had no money left and was in deep trouble

Idiot

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"The scammer convinced Anita to transfer 83,041 baht from her bank account ........The victim said she had no money left and was in deep trouble."

 

seems the travel agency business is not too lucrative these days

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Thai's fear their authorities . There have been enough stories about innocent people being harassed for not paying bribes .

Somebody Thai just has to put on some official looking clothes and a " don't you know who I am ? " attitude , and their victims are already submissive . Why did she not ask to see the identification from the " officials " before paying ?

Wasn't it done over the phone?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...