How much did it cost you to have a laptop cleaned?

csaba81

Not all laptops are the same obviously. Some are fiddly to get open and don't lend themselves well to cleaning. Last time I had one done it was a dual fan ASUS with backlit keyboard so probably more work than your average. Cost 1500 Baht. I had it back in 2 or 3 hours. 

1 minute ago, patman30 said:

Apart from very old laptops or very new modular laptops
the vast majority of laptops the CPU cannot be removed
whilst you may remove any heatsink or fan to clean
the CPU itself cannot usually be removed

*FYI, i work with computers, building, stripping them etc.????

Sorry, I did mean CPU heat sink, just left out the heat sink part.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, patman30 said:

literally is.

not if you're all thumbs like me. I've got an Intel NUC that needs the fan cleaned and there's no way I'm going to try following the internet tear-down instructions.

any suggestions for a competent, reasonably priced place in Bangkok that will do it for me? 

Costs me nothing. I wipe the screen with a damp cloth occasionally, and vacuum the keyboard. If I was game to go into the inner workings, I guess a vacuum cleaner again.

I would question the need for this operation, my laptop is at least 8 years old, works fine, and has never been opened up for the kind of cleaning the OP mentions.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, patman30 said:

1500 baht to remove the back and blow the dust out LOL

LOL, like 

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Oh that it could be that simple.

Exactly. I used to clean out my own desktop PCs years ago. I don't think ppl realize just how tight everything is in modern laptop and getting them open can require a heat gun and black magic.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Costs me nothing. I wipe the screen with a damp cloth occasionally, and vacuum the keyboard. If I was game to go into the inner workings, I guess a vacuum cleaner again.

I would question the need for this operation, my laptop is at least 8 years old, works fine, and has never been opened up for the kind of cleaning the OP mentions.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Many people use laptops in ways that generate a lot of heat like gaming, 3D, video productions and music composition. Dust inevitable gets in and everything gets hotter which means early equipment failure - even with a good cooling pad. High end notebooks can cost over 100k Baht and you don't need one failing on you years too early because you didn't do some maintenance every year or two.

Edited by csaba81
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, csaba81 said:

Many people use laptops in ways that generate a lot of heat like gaming, 3D, video productions and music composition. Dust inevitable gets in and everything gets hotter which means early equipment failure - even with a good cooling pad. High end notebooks can cost over 100k Baht and you don't need one failing on you years too early because you didn't do some maintenance every year or two.

Mine gets used for emails and surfing the internet, so I guess it doesn't heat up that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

Just run it under the tap ???? no fan in a Mac Airbook so no dust

1 hour ago, proton said:

You work in PC sales?

• Haha 1

1500 Baht is a bit rich, 500 would be a reasonable price for a clean. As others have said, its a couple of screws to get the back off, a bit of compressed air to blow dust away etc.

I got a new keyboard fitted to a dell laptop recently, the keyboard and fitting it cost 1,000 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, csaba81 said:

LOL, like 

Exactly. I used to clean out my own desktop PCs years ago. I don't think ppl realize just how tight everything is in modern laptop and getting them open can require a heat gun and black magic.

It's not the getting it open that's a problem. It's getting it back together and ever working again!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

OP was talking about a laptop not an Apple fan boy's toy...

Pun was not intended but now seems appropriate ???? 

Edited by soi3eddie
Comment regarding pun

1 minute ago, soi3eddie said:

OP was talking about a laptop not an Apple fan boy's toy...

Pun was not intended but now seems appropriate ???? 

Are you just jealous as can't afford one? faster, stronger and the best sound on a laptop you can buy ????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

not if you're all thumbs like me. I've got an Intel NUC that needs the fan cleaned and there's no way I'm going to try following the internet tear-down instructions.

any suggestions for a competent, reasonably priced place in Bangkok that will do it for me? 

Exactly. I had an Acer that was shutting down due to overheating. took the back off and couldn't get anywhere near the fan. Watched a couple of Youtube videos and decided against it.

I have had phones apart and not scared of electronics but these days some of the plastic parts used are very flimsy and easily broken, not worth the hassle. I scrapped it in the end.

Finding someone you can trust to do a good job is easier said than done, despite what some keyboard experts would make out.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Exactly. I had an Acer that was shutting down due to overheating. took the back off and couldn't get anywhere near the fan. Watched a couple of Youtube videos and decided against it.

I have had phones apart and not scared of electronics but these days some of the plastic parts used are very flimsy and easily broken, not worth the hassle. I scrapped it in the end.

Finding someone you can trust to do a good job is easier said than done, despite what some keyboard experts would make out.

I'm hopeless at pulling electronics apart, something always snaps off or I shred the screw heads or drop the bloody thing. 

I asked that one fella if he could recommend a place but he hasn't responded. Not sure if that's because he's all talk and no trousers or because he's off on a bender ????

In the meantime I found an Aseannow thread from last year that gave me some suggestions for Bangkok. Hopefully they will charge a reasonable price to access and clean my fan otherwise I might be tempted to do it myself and brick the thing ????

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Hopefully they will charge a reasonable price to access and clean my fan otherwise I might be tempted to do it myself and brick the thing ????

I live out in the sticks near Chonburi city so nothing is easy. I have thrown away a few desktops and printers in the past after they have supposedly been repaired.

I take a similar view, I will have a go if prepared to brick it. I still have the Acer and may get round to it one day, but spare time with brain in gear is not that readily available, always something a bit more urgent.

฿100 and that was a tip.  As he didn't charge me anything, as there was nothing wrong to fix.  Took it in because it was shutting down.

Shutting down ... yea, embarrassing, the fans were that clogged up ????