Best bedroom air filter ….considering cost of replacement filters and noise…

mikey88

On 1/23/2023 at 1:50 PM, CaptainSplod said:

Thanks - now THAT looks very good!  ????

Cheers

Arrived today. Took the PM2.5 level in my office down from 35 to 7 in about 30 minutes on it's lowest setting. Mobile app is fantastic too.

Air doesn't feel any different ???? but if the numbers are true it's doing a great job and for the cost I'm totally impressed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to use 3M filter material on the aircon, but aircon fans are quite expensive to run and the filcrete does impede airflow. I found it best to buy 2 standalone Sharp filters. put one in the lounge and one in the master bedroom and leave them running on low 24/7. Change the filters every 6 months or so (approx. 200 THB from Lazada) and give the intake side a run over with the vacuum cleaner now and again.

Works for us!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 2:19 PM, Woof999 said:

Mobile app is fantastic too.

What does the app do for you?  I have a xiaomi smart air purifier 4 compact.  I d/l the app and tried 3 valid email addresses. Each was flagged invalid email address. 

Is it worth pursuing? 

4 hours ago, amexpat said:

What does the app do for you?  I have a xiaomi smart air purifier 4 compact.  I d/l the app and tried 3 valid email addresses. Each was flagged invalid email address. 

Is it worth pursuing? 

I used Facebook to register. I pretty much never use Facebook for Facebooky type stuff, but it's handy occasionally for logins to other apps.

App gives you full control over 1 or more filters, child lock, scheduled on/off, estimated filter life and a reasonably pretty display of the current PM2.5 level, temp and humidity. It also gives you firmware updates for the machine, which probably doesn't mean much if you don't use the app.

If you don't need schedules or child lock or any need to not walk over to the device to turn it on/off then you're not missing too much, especially if you only have the 1 machine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 4:10 PM, KhunLA said:

Agree, and any restriction, add HEPA sheets, which I've done, and or not cleaning those or the ones with the AC, will restrict air flow, put a strain on the compressor & fan ... along with increasing your electric bill because of it.

Been there done that.

Just get a decent air purifier, I can definitely, posted, recommend ours, Xiaomi brand, from Xiaomi 'flagship' store on LAZ:

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/xiaomi/?spm=a2o4m.common-error.search.1.48af38b2BB11jI&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_sis&sis_suggestion_click=Xiaomi Flagship Store%2Cxiaomi&sugg=xiaomi_0_1

Really does work well.  Had to stir up some dust as -0- just doesn't look believable ????

image.png.63f978b33ff0ba6d5d16b94a54345248.png

image.png.a2a2961517e0dc606e5c1d28c77221cc.png

Outside is a wee bit better than earlier:

image.png.e9eea28021a9bc5fc1cbe30f5b51ca03.png

Is this your model?:

"฿2,490.00

LazMallXiaomi Smart Air Purifier 4 Compact เครื่องฟอกอากาศอัจฉริยะ ขนาดเล็กกะทัดรัด รองรับ Google Assistant"?

Edited by JimmyJ

On 1/26/2023 at 2:08 PM, stuartd1 said:

I used to use 3M filter material on the aircon, but aircon fans are quite expensive to run and the filcrete does impede airflow. I found it best to buy 2 standalone Sharp filters. put one in the lounge and one in the master bedroom and leave them running on low 24/7. Change the filters every 6 months or so (approx. 200 THB from Lazada) and give the intake side a run over with the vacuum cleaner now and again.

Works for us!

"I found it best to buy 2 standalone Sharp filters. put one in the lounge and one in the master bedroom and leave them running on low 24/7."

You bought 2 Sharp Air Purifiers?

If you recommend them, what model numbers are they?

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Is this your model?:

"฿2,490.00

LazMallXiaomi Smart Air Purifier 4 Compact เครื่องฟอกอากาศอัจฉริยะ ขนาดเล็กกะทัดรัด รองรับ Google Assistant"?

No, ours are their first version/release, then the 2nd release, I think 'S' model.  At least 2 newer models since, if on #4.

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, lopburi3 said:

But replaced with cheap Sharp FP-J30TA last month (due AP-12 making clicking noise) which less than 2,100 baht and seems to keep air cleaner (ppm lower).  At night mode they claim 2 year filter life (filters available for less than 300 baht).  It is PPM only (Harari had charcoal for smell also) but seems to work very well and we run at normal speed day/night and no real noise (background white noise at most) and very good air flow.  

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sharp-23-fp-j30ta-abp-i261886938-s403171139.html

I have a similar model from Sharp. And it's been performing like a trooper in our main bedroom the past couple years. Sharp HEPA replacement filters are available in BKK from a local Sharp affiliated supplier.

The HEPA filters are supposed to last a year or so. But I put a layer of Honeywell pre-filter material inside the back of my Sharp unit between the HEPA filter and the units own back cover prefilter. And although I have to clean both prefilters every month or so, as a result of the prefilters, the current core HEPA filter is now going well into year 2.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

If you recommend them, what model numbers are they?

You want to pick air purifiers for starters based on the size of the living area/areas you need to filter the air for...

An enclosed room is gonna be self contained and probably work with a single consumer type unit. But if you have a large open plan living area without a lot of segregated spaces, then multiple units are the likely path....

The standard room size units here can be bought pretty affordably, particularly the Sharp, Hatari, Toshiba and Xiaomi models... But if you start trying to shop for like a whole house very large capacity single purifier, you're gonna be shelling out big baht, AFAIK.

On 1/26/2023 at 2:08 PM, stuartd1 said:

I used to use 3M filter material on the aircon, but aircon fans are quite expensive to run and the filcrete does impede airflow. I

I tried the 3M filtrete sheets over my room air con's own filters in the past. And found the Filtrete sheets got very dirty very fast and began blocking the air con's airflow.

They also helped a little bit in lowering PM2.5 levels, but nothing close to the effect of a standalone HEPA purifier.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2023 at 9:27 PM, matchar said:

It seems like the official Xiaomi replacement filters are around 800-900 baht but the knock-off ones are a lot cheaper.

Has anyone tried any unofficial Xiaomi replacement filters?

When I was shopping for purifiers several years back, I spent some time researching the Xiaomi models... And I believe I read at the time that their machines supposedly had incorporated some kind of checking component to only work with original OEM Xiaomi filters...

However, that said, I didn't end up buying their units.... So I don't have any personal experience on whether 3rd party filters actually will or won't work in their units.

One downside to the Xiaomi approach to purifiers, from my perspective, is that they combine the pre-filters and HEPA-type filters all into a single cartridge type unit... as opposed to being separate in most other purifiers.

So, on the Xiaomis, when the prefilter gets clogged up, you're likely going to need to replace the whole cartridge unit... as opposed to just cleaning or changing an inexpensive pre-filter on other units while keeping the same HEPA filter in place.

My sense is, everything else being equal, that Xiaomi's approach is likely to result in more frequent filter unit replacements, which of course is primarily the way they make money off the units.... which probably is the case with most purifier manufacturers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When I was shopping for purifiers several years back, I spent some time researching the Xiaomi models... And I believe I read at the time that their machines supposedly had incorporated some kind of checking component to only work with original OEM Xiaomi filters...

However, that said, I didn't end up buying their units.... So I don't have any personal experience on whether 3rd party filters actually will or won't work in their units.

"Please remember that Xiaomi filters have a built-in RFID chip, so buying third-party replacement filters is not an option."

https://www.airpurifierfirst.com/comparison/xiaomi-mi-3h-vs-levoit-core-400s/

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One downside to the Xiaomi approach to purifiers, from my perspective, is that they combine the pre-filters and HEPA-type filters all into a single cartridge type unit... as opposed to being separate in most other purifiers.

So, on the Xiaomis, when the prefilter gets clogged up, you're likely going to need to replace the whole cartridge unit... as opposed to just cleaning or changing an inexpensive pre-filter on other units while keeping the same HEPA filter in place.

My sense is, everything else being equal, that Xiaomi's approach is likely to result in more frequent filter unit replacements, which of course is primarily the way they make money off the units.... which probably is the case with most purifier manufacturers.

What brands would you recommend?

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

What brands would you recommend?

It depends on what kind and size of living space the person needs to protect... People should shop for a unit or units based on the room size, or open space living area, they have, and then see how the various brands/models fit that need.

But as I mentioned in a prior post here, I think Sharp, Xiaomi, and Hatari all have good consumer priced options available with units sized to a single room or Thai condo type living space. Reasonably priced and relatively easy access here to replacement filters.

When I was shopping, that was always one of the first questions I would ask -- where and how can I buy replacement HEPA filters for this unit...and then see if the source really keeps them available and in stock...as opposed to being perpetually sold out (as sometimes can be the case here).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1