Best bedroom air filter ….considering cost of replacement filters and noise…

mikey88

Hello….Can anyone offer their recommendations about bedroom air purifiers….

It’s only December and the AQI is at unpleasant levels. 

It seems to me that the cost of replacement filters is probably more important than the cost of the initial machine…?

What purifer has the most economic filters…?   And is silent enough for the bedroom...?

And how frequently do you find you have to replace them….?

Appreciate as always your suggestions…

Thanks….

Actually had always used Hatari AP-12 (6,000 baht - replace filter 6 months at about 800 baht). 

But replaced with cheap Sharp FP-J30TA last month (due AP-12 making clicking noise) which less than 2,100 baht and seems to keep air cleaner (ppm lower).  At night mode they claim 2 year filter life (filters available for less than 300 baht).  It is PPM only (Harari had charcoal for smell also) but seems to work very well and we run at normal speed day/night and no real noise (background white noise at most) and very good air flow.  

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sharp-23-fp-j30ta-abp-i261886938-s403171139.html

Xiaomi fan myself.  Bought 2 replacement filter when I bought purifiers, few years now, and haven't needed to use them.  Live below Hua Hin, so air isn't nearly as bad.  Just turned them on this week.  As AQI getting near 100, and PM2.5 way too high.

image.png.a81f056ec2c6761082b4b8d58660d45d.png

Keeps things in single digit territory.

image.png.50ed587519e38b83d663845a5aae24ea.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, novacova said:

Also you can use a fine pre filter sheet for the ac. I use them and it collects a lot of particles that the ac filters don’t catch during the smoky season.

They cost a lot and very much reduce AC air flow (never cover all of the intake area).  Far from HEPA filtration but probably better than nothing.  Remember you are paying a price in AC performance so it is more than the filter cost involved.  Been there, done that, will no do again when dedicated units are available (and some AC units now come with such ability installed).

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They cost a lot and very much reduce AC air flow (never cover all of the intake area).  Far from HEPA filtration but probably better than nothing.  Remember you are paying a price in AC performance so it is more than the filter cost involved.  Been there, done that, will no do again when dedicated units are available (and some AC units now come with such ability installed).

I’m sure some do restrict air flow. The ones I use don’t restrict air flow at all. What does commonly restrict air flow is dirty air filters. Normally clean every two weeks. During the smoky season every few days. Anyway I’m happy with my setup and wouldn’t dare to change anything about it.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Agree, and any restriction, add HEPA sheets, which I've done, and or not cleaning those or the ones with the AC, will restrict air flow, put a strain on the compressor & fan ... along with increasing your electric bill because of it.

Been there done that.

Just get a decent air purifier, I can definitely, posted, recommend ours, Xiaomi brand, from Xiaomi 'flagship' store on LAZ:

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/xiaomi/?spm=a2o4m.common-error.search.1.48af38b2BB11jI&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_sis&sis_suggestion_click=Xiaomi Flagship Store%2Cxiaomi&sugg=xiaomi_0_1

Really does work well.  Had to stir up some dust as -0- just doesn't look believable ????

image.png.63f978b33ff0ba6d5d16b94a54345248.png

image.png.a2a2961517e0dc606e5c1d28c77221cc.png

Outside is a wee bit better than earlier:

image.png.e9eea28021a9bc5fc1cbe30f5b51ca03.png

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, and any restriction, add HEPA sheets, which I've done, and or not cleaning those or the ones with the AC, will restrict air flow, put a strain on the compressor & fan ... along with increasing your electric bill because of it.

Been there done that.

Just get a decent air purifier, I can definitely, posted, recommend ours, Xiaomi brand, from Xiaomi 'flagship' store on LAZ:

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/xiaomi/?spm=a2o4m.common-error.search.1.48af38b2BB11jI&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_sis&sis_suggestion_click=Xiaomi Flagship Store%2Cxiaomi&sugg=xiaomi_0_1

Really does work well.  Had to stir up some dust as -0- just doesn't look believable ????

We’ve been using prefilter sheets for years with no issues. It’s remarkable how much it collects. If you used sheets that put a heavy load on the compressor then it’s probably of low quality sheets or an inefficient or low power system to begin with. Dirty screen filters are the main culprit of an inefficient system. Highly recommend prefilter sheets, and save your lungs. But if you’re concerned about saving energy then run both air conditioner and air filtration systems at the same time and see how much you actually save! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

You tape the pre-filter sheet to the top of the inside ac unit?

I suppose that would be an option. I put it inside over the filter screens, no tape just cut to fit and drape it in and close the cover.

• Thanks 1

If you buy anything from Dyson get ready for ludicrous delays in getting replacement parts. I am currently waiting, so far 21 weeks, for what is nothing more than a piece of moulded plastic. Other parts take between 9 and 16 weeks. Dyson are expensive to buy and rendered useless by these unacceptable delays from their official service agents in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, lopburi3 said:

Actually had always used Hatari AP-12 (6,000 baht - replace filter 6 months at about 800 baht). 

But replaced with cheap Sharp FP-J30TA last month (due AP-12 making clicking noise) which less than 2,100 baht and seems to keep air cleaner (ppm lower).  At night mode they claim 2 year filter life (filters available for less than 300 baht).  It is PPM only (Harari had charcoal for smell also) but seems to work very well and we run at normal speed day/night and no real noise (background white noise at most) and very good air flow.  

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sharp-23-fp-j30ta-abp-i261886938-s403171139.html

Appreciate your help….thanks very much…

On 12/17/2022 at 4:10 PM, KhunLA said:

Been there done that.

Thanks very much for the help….appreciate it greatly….can you say how much the replacement filters are.…and about how long yours last for before replacement….?

We have the Xiaomi Mi in a couple of rooms and the Pro version in the larger open plan living room... 

Filters are relatively inexpensive...  we only have it on at times of high pollution outside... 

When its on ‘auto’ I spray my deodorant in the bedroom and the thing goes crazy !!! - its quieter than the AC.

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/xiaomi-air-purifier-4-pro/

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, mikey88 said:

Thanks very much for the help….appreciate it greatly….can you say how much the replacement filters are.…and about how long yours last for before replacement….?

Haven't needed to replace yet, and coming up on 5 yrs old for 1, maybe 3 or 4 yrs old on the other.   The don't really get used as much, as folks living in Hua Hin or northward of.  Pretty sure the replacements filters were under 1000 baht each, and actually still in original boxes they arrived in.

Daughter lives in Krung Thep and used quite a bit.  Hers bought same time we bought the 2nd one, so 3-4 yrs, and she also hasn't replaced the filter yet.

10 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Thanks for this thread. Just bought the Xiaomi 4 Lite to see how it performs. I assumed (wrongly) that the aircon alone would do a reasonable job.

That's interesting.... I see on Lazada The Xiaomi 4 Lite is priced from around 900 to over 3000 Baht (different Xiaomi 4 Lite models, of course). 

Could you share which model you bought - and how you think it's working.

Thanks ????

Splod

22 minutes ago, CaptainSplod said:

That's interesting.... I see on Lazada The Xiaomi 4 Lite is priced from around 900 to over 3000 Baht (different Xiaomi 4 Lite models, of course). 

Thanks ????

Splod

I would only buy from the 'MI Stores' or the Xiaomi 'flagship' store on LAZ, Shopee, or JD, linked from Xiaomi's own site, on bottom of page: 

https://buy.mi.com/th/service/wheretobuy

https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi/?q=purifier&from=wangpu&langFlag=th&pageTypeId=2&spm=a2o4m.10453683.searchbar.0

https://shopee.co.th/xiaomiofficialstoreth?gclid=CjwKCAiA2rOeBhAsEiwA2Pl7Q2S7EuQKSeCOIWlP_yGF98BjBYMeM2xmR9liuaMTV5qoQrsoKnfoeBoCzEEQAvD_BwE

https://www.jd.co.th/shop/pc/1000000062.html

Edited by KhunLA

24 minutes ago, CaptainSplod said:

Thanks ????

Splod

Sure. This one:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-smart-air-purifier-4-lite-4-lite-i3288566649-s12198643421.html

Only ordered it last night so not here yet.

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The top is the intake side.

I just checked now ???? and yes it is. I never looked at it before now. My wife clean the philters once and awhile, and we service before burning season and after 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I just checked now ???? and yes it is. I never looked at it before now. My wife clean the philters once and awhile, and we service before burning season and after 

Yes, the air is drawn into the top and then goes inside the front and through the filters there. You could put the Filtrete on those front filters, but I find it easier to simply to tape it on top. 

I have just washed the filter on the photo and shall out it back to see if it still works OK.