Urgent: need a police clearance certificate for the work visa or the work permit???

I'm nearly heading to the airport to do a visa run to get a non-immigrant B visa to work as a teacher for a school here in Bangkok. I just noticed that a police clearance certificate is required for the visa according to the Thai consulate in Laos. I'm confused because I thought the police clearance was needed when I apply for the work permit later on, not the visa.
Anyone know what the rules are for a new teacher? This is blowing my mind because my school didn't include the police check in the list of documents that I needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Note: I'm currently living in Bangkok

Cheers!!

Perhaps for your visa depending on the embassy or consulate (not sure).

Definitely not for annual visa extensions based on work or the work permit itself.

I didn't need it when I made my initial working visa in Laos 8 years ago. And I haven't needed it for any yearly extensions or for my work permit either.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

Update:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

I tried to get the non- b without the police clearance, but the Thai consulate wouldn't accept my application without it. To follow up with your comment on how the school needs to request it, my school is telling me it's my "personal document" and they don't handle getting the police clearance. They just tell me to look at the embassy's website for requirements, which is not at all useful. The school administrator who is handling this is at a conference so she's not able to offer any more help. This is.... astounding

5 minutes ago, Donoff said:

I tried to get the non- b without the police clearance, but the Thai consulate wouldn't accept my application without it.

Thanks for the update.

What's the plan now? 

Reenter Thailand visa exempt and sort out police check? 

You might get some advice in teaching forum. 

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for the update.

What's the plan now? 

Reenter Thailand visa exempt and sort out police check? 

You might get some advice in teaching forum. 

Right, I got a visa exemption when I came back in, not waiting for a tourist visa. I was concerned that they wouldn't let me in considering the recent crackdowns on long term stayers and border runners. So I had everything ready, even 20k baht in cash just in case they asked for proof of funds.

My school administrator is new I guess and not helpful with the police clearance unfortunately. She bugged me about the unimportant things and didn't know about necessary things.

Thanks for the recommendation for the teacher forum. I'll check it out.

Cheers!

Edited by Donoff
  • Thumbs Up 1