iPhone app for wifi calling America - recommendation?

sagra

Good morning all. Can someone recommend a good iPhone app that I can use for internet/wifi calling in Thailand to call America and Europe. I also need to acquire a virtual American phone number as the number used in the app. I used Talkatone here for many years which was great and all of a sudden it stopped working and when I tried to reinstall the app it says “not available in your country” (even when I’m using a VPN set to a US location). The same thing with Google voice!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For calls to other iPhones you could use FaceTime which is already installed on iPhones.

Other apps such as Signal, Telegram and WhatsApp and Skype will allow you to call others, providing they have the same app installed. Ideal for family and friends. Pretty sure you can buy a phone  number on Skype that will allow others to call you. Plus they sell subscriptions for call packages.

HTH

There are numerous apps like WhatsApp and Line that require both users to have an App installed to make free calls.

I use mytello which offers cheap calls to landlines and mobiles, with only the caller needing the app.

Calls to landlines or mobiles the US cost 0.4 Baht per minute.

• Thumbs Up 1

Try Google Voice. Works from every browser. Free number for the US. Just see that it doesn't work for you... I set it up more than 10 years ago in the US. Still works for me here in Thailand. Even free SMS inside US. 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

For calls to other iPhones you could use FaceTime which is already installed on iPhones.

Other apps such as Signal, Telegram and WhatsApp and Skype will allow you to call others, providing they have the same app installed. Ideal for family and friends. Pretty sure you can buy a phone  number on Skype that will allow others to call you. Plus they sell subscriptions for call packages.

HTH

Thank you. Yes I use FaceTime a lot for calls to my friends and family that I need another number for official things like banking. Additionally I am one of the unlucky ones who apparently had my Facebook account suspended because someone hacked it. Waiting for their decision on reinstatement. I looked into Skype and I think it would meet my needs but I think I found that it was too expensive.

13 hours ago, phetphet said:

HTH

Thank you. Yes, normally I use Facetime and FB messaging to talk with friends and family all the time. I need an American number and calling/receiving especially for dealing with banks, the government agencies, etc. Additionally I am one of the unlucky ones whose Facebook account was suspended apparently after being hacked. I've appealed and I'm waiting for their decision. I think Skype would work for my needs but it is too expensive for me.

13 hours ago, theoldgit said:

There are numerous apps like WhatsApp and Line that require both users to have an App installed to make free calls.

I use mytello which offers cheap calls to landlines and mobiles, with only the caller needing the app.

Calls to landlines or mobiles the US cost 0.4 Baht per minute.

Thank you. Yes, but actually I need to be able to call and receive calls and my number must be an American number. For dealing with verification, etc when dealing with banks, the government, etc.

10 hours ago, riclag said:

Textfree  app ! It’s important that you get a good signal while talking ! 
I found this one was the best when talking with the Banks.

Thank you. I was getting excited after reading about it's features and functions, BUT...frustratingly you can only use the service when you are in the US or Canada. I just saw that notice on their website.

10 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Try Google Voice. Works from every browser. Free number for the US. Just see that it doesn't work for you... I set it up more than 10 years ago in the US. Still works for me here in Thailand. Even free SMS inside US. 

2 minutes ago, sagra said:

Thank you. I was getting excited after reading about it's features and functions, BUT...frustratingly you can only use the service when you are in the US or Canada. I just saw that notice on their website.

10 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Thank you. The Google Voice app is not available for people in Thailand.

5 hours ago, sagra said:

Thank you. The Google Voice app is not available for people in Thailand.

I use the browser version. I set it up more than 10 years ago in the US when I visited friends there. It is linked to a Gmail account. Don't use it much anymore. Google always reminds me to use it otherwise they will cancel it. Get calls (they are recorded so that they can leave messages) and can send free SMS (within the US) even when I am in Thailand. Calls to US numbers are free too. But I didn't use this for a long time. Never paid 1 Cent for anything. 

23 hours ago, sagra said:

when I tried to reinstall the app it says “not available in your country” (even when I’m using a VPN set to a US location). The same thing with Google voice!

Do you already have a Google Voice number?  That may be difficult to get from Thailand.

Try installing the app again after you disable "Location Services" on your iPhone, and also use WiFi only by enabling Airplane mode.  Also use the VPN as in your previous attempt.

Remember to re-enable everything afterwards!

Found in:
Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Location Services.

Calls to UK start at 1 US cent/minute for landlines and most mobile providers.  Some UK providers are much more expensive to call.  You will need to be able to deposit US$ to your Google account.

Edited by gamb00ler

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Get calls (they are recorded so that they can leave messages) and can send free SMS (within the US) even when I am in Thailand. Calls to US numbers are free too.

Also free calls and SMS to Canada.

8 hours ago, sagra said:

I use Textnow in Thailand from the Chrome browser.  But, I have not tried any phone calls, only SMS.

You have to remember with Skype that calls and video calls to other Skype users are free.

You would only need to pay if you bought a  subscription package for calls to US landlines and mobile, which starts around $2.99 / month.

Another option might be to get someone in the US to send you a cheap SIM from there that supports WiFi calling.

51 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Do you already have a Google Voice number?  That may be difficult to get from Thailand.

Try installing the app again after you disable "Location Services" on your iPhone, and also use WiFi only by enabling Airplane mode.  Also use the VPN as in your previous attempt.

Found in:

Calls to UK start at 1 US cent/minute for landlines and most mobile providers.  Some UK providers are much more expensive to call.  You will need to be able to deposit US$ to your Google account.

Here we will have a far too complicated solution, and probably not very reliable, as too many factors are used to make the calls.

9 hours ago, sagra said:

Thanks. I think it would fit my needs but it seems too expensive for me.

Skype number: appox. 45 usd per year. (Checked Everglades, Florida)
Pay for unlimited calls land lines and mobiles US: 13 usd per month (Bonus, you get the whole world)
Only US unlimited 6 usd per month.

Countred per month you have 2 options:

World wide and number: approx: 17,5 usd per month (600 Thb)
Only US and number: approx: 10-11 usd per month. (400 Thb)

Holy Cow! How can that be too expensive? What limited budget are you living on, man?

I struggled with this too - especially with the increased usage of 2-step-authentication a few years back.

For voice calling I signed up with  (localphone.com) for a local incoming USA phone number using an area code that is in my USA mailing address area. It costs $0.99 USD per month and calls to USA land or cell phones is $0.005 per minute.  The service just does not support incoming text very well. They have an iPhone app that does work for in/out calls. When I call people, they see my USA phone number and assume I am in the USA. For Europe calls, you could get another number - they just cost a bit more per month.

For 2-step-authentication, I ported my USA cell phone to Tossabledigits.com. I am on the "Lite Annual" plan for $40 USD. Calls or texts go to my email in seconds. Look them up for all the options.

So for less than $5 per month, I have - for the moment - removed this burden.

Hope this helps...dw

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Here we will have a far too complicated solution, and probably not very reliable, as too many factors are used to make the calls.

The instructions that you have referred to as "far too complicated" are only required to get the Google Voice (GV) app installed on his phone.  Those steps are required to get around Google's restrictions on installing the app while in Thailand.

Once that is done, making a GV phone call is almost identical to the regular actions for placing calls.

As for reliability, I have not had any problems placing or receiving calls for years now.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 7:51 AM, gamb00ler said:

Found in:

Thank you. I turned off everything on my iphone and had my VPN set the the USA and the app store STILL knows I am in Thailand and the message says not available in your country.

On 12/18/2022 at 12:31 PM, Gottfrid said:

Skype is an old reliable solution.

On 12/18/2022 at 10:22 AM, Duke007 said:

Try TextNow for free calls to the US.

On 12/19/2022 at 3:04 PM, gamb00ler said:

The instructions that you have referred to as "far too complicated" are only required to get the Google Voice (GV) app installed on his phone.  Those steps are required to get around Google's restrictions on installing the app while in Thailand.

Once that is done, making a GV phone call is almost identical to the regular actions for placing calls.

As for reliability, I have not had any problems placing or receiving calls for years now.

I followed the instructions, except I didn't turn on Airplane Mode. You cannot get online with Airplane mode on. I turned off my data service and location services and had my VPN set the the USA and the app store STILL knows I am in Thailand and the message says not available in your country.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:10 AM, dwagner said:

I struggled with this too - especially with the increased usage of 2-step-authentication a few years back.

For voice calling I signed up with  (localphone.com) for a local incoming USA phone number using an area code that is in my USA mailing address area. It costs $0.99 USD per month and calls to USA land or cell phones is $0.005 per minute.  The service just does not support incoming text very well. They have an iPhone app that does work for in/out calls. When I call people, they see my USA phone number and assume I am in the USA. For Europe calls, you could get another number - they just cost a bit more per month.

For 2-step-authentication, I ported my USA cell phone to Tossabledigits.com. I am on the "Lite Annual" plan for $40 USD. Calls or texts go to my email in seconds. Look them up for all the options.

So for less than $5 per month, I have - for the moment - removed this burden.

Hope this helps...dw

Thanks!

On 12/19/2022 at 8:49 AM, Gottfrid said:

Skype number: appox. 45 usd per year. (Checked Everglades, Florida)
Pay for unlimited calls land lines and mobiles US: 13 usd per month (Bonus, you get the whole world)
Only US unlimited 6 usd per month.

Countred per month you have 2 options:

World wide and number: approx: 17,5 usd per month (600 Thb)
Only US and number: approx: 10-11 usd per month. (400 Thb)

Holy Cow! How can that be too expensive? What limited budget are you living on, man?

I looked at Skype again. You are right! Not bad. Got the app. I signed up, got a US number, etc. All good now. Sure appreciate your help. Big thanks!!!

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, sagra said:

I followed the instructions, except I didn't turn on Airplane Mode. You cannot get online with Airplane mode on. I turned off my data service and location services and had my VPN set the the USA and the app store STILL knows I am in Thailand and the message says not available in your country.

Are you using an iPhone?  If I have WiFi connected and I turn on Airplane Mode, I still can get online with my iPhone 8 Plus.

Is your VPN running on your phone, your router or your computer?

Is your Apple ID using a US address or Thai address?  I am using a US address with Thai phone number.

Edited by gamb00ler