Growatt unveils new inverters for residential off-grid PV systems

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1st. You've just admitted you needed to go through a 'bug fixing stage' with your Growatts (that wouldn't have made me happy).

2nd. You needed an installer because you had no previous knowledge of solar systems (if I remember correctly).

3rd.  Was it another poster that had all the battery problems?

4th. I have a Degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering, built my own batteries, installed my own system, welded my own panel mounts and it worked correctly from day 1.

Finally, there is absolutely no valid reason why the batteries and inverter need to communicate (apart from greed by the inverter manufacturer).The BMS is all that is needed to manage the batteries (I have 2x 48V batteries working in parallel).

I will also leave it to the forum readers on whose opinion they want to listen.

1) Bug fixing was me checking the work of my installer while I was at the same time liaising with Growatt and nRuit 

2) "You needed an installer because you had no previous knowledge of solar systems (if I remember correctly)" I used an install team because I didn't want to clamber onto the roof of my third floor installing PV and I could afford to have someone else do the work. You do not remember correctly, this is my second home solar setup and I have previously done solar projects on my own at my home and at my local primary school. I chose not to have someone else do the work this time.

3) I don't know.

4) wow I am very impressed you have a degree but only one? 

I am very happy with my Growatt inverters and the support I have received. The mobile app and web based portal are very informative. I can share online access to diagnostic data with my installer and Growatt.  I can even access solar and battery information on my apple watch

I am trying to help readers of this forum who might want to consider a Growatt inverter. You on the other hand want to lie about the reliability of inverters that you have had no direct experience with!

I don't know what your problem is but I am done talking to you - I have added you to my ignore list.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Thanks for that Bandersnatch, Currently talking to Nruit now.. What solution and setup did end up with regarding connecting all together with the com cables? was straight forward ? 

Pink

I did not use the hub. The batteries were discharged at slightly different rates. I purchased a 4th 9kWh battery and they are 50-60% full in the morning unless we have a particularly rainy day.  

2 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I did not use the hub. The batteries were discharged at slightly different rates. I purchased a 4th 9kWh battery and they are 50-60% full in the morning unless we have a particularly rainy day.  

Can you share how you connected the batteries to the inverters to get it working? I saw the video but i did not catch the details there.

Pink

35 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

In the mention case of Bandersnatch researching and troubleshooting is more like a learning and testing process than that there is anything wrong with the product. Thats because its a complex setup with 2 different companies..

Pink

Most installs would involve at least 3 different companies and I would expect all the devices to work together from the start. 

1. Inverter maufacturer

2. Panel manufacturer. 

3. Battery manufacturer

4. BMS manufacturer. 

My last solar install involved PV manufacturers x3, inverter x1, battery manufacturers x2, BMS x1. So that's 7 different manufacturers in total.

Edited by BritManToo

41 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Can you share how you connected the batteries to the inverters to get it working? I saw the video but i did not catch the details there.

Pink

1372908348_BatteryConnections.thumb.jpg.6cd0af8c42b2a7a504ad3438f641b27f.jpg

RJ45 connections:

Inverter 1 BMS to Battery 1 RS485

Battery 1 PAR A to Battery 2 Par A

Battery 2 PAR B to Battery 3 Par B

Battery 3 PAR A to Battery 4 Par A

11 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

1372908348_BatteryConnections.thumb.jpg.6cd0af8c42b2a7a504ad3438f641b27f.jpg

RJ45 connections:

Inverter 1 BMS to Battery 1 RS485

Battery 1 PAR A to Battery 2 Par A

Battery 2 PAR B to Battery 3 Par B

Battery 3 PAR A to Battery 4 Par A

Ok so main inverter can handle all.. I made it more complicated becouse i was sure bot inverters needed to be connected with com.

Thanks for the clarification Bandersnatch

Pink

• Like 1

On 12/21/2022 at 7:15 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Yes the GROWATT SPF 5000 ES will work in parallel without batteries. Here is the connection diagram :

parallel.thumb.jpg.cfa5d46a8aa997be6c1bb44e1ded5b1b.jpg

I should point out that you should contact Growatt before purchasing the batteries to ensure that they are compatible:

Battery.thumb.jpg.41f435a019b6795c5e4ab6964fd27596.jpg

I was reading over the Growatt manual today in pdf format on my screen to get all details better. Then i found this:  Note: Parallel forbidden without battery.

Im not sure what to think..

Pink

growatt par.jpg

14 hours ago, Pink7 said:

I was reading over the Growatt manual today in pdf format on my screen to get all details better. Then i found this:  Note: Parallel forbidden without battery.

Im not sure what to think..

Pink

growatt par.jpg

OK looks like I was wrong then. I assume it is to do with "Black Start" With parallel inverters you have to assign each inverter a status, in my case Master, Slave 1 and Slave 2. Without batteries or a grid connection there is no way for the inverters to remember their status. The batteries keep the inverters powered when there is no solar power. If the grid goes down and there is no solar power the inverters cannot start in parallel mode as they don't know which inverter is master. Probably adding a cheap small battery would fulfil this requirement. 

11 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

OK looks like I was wrong then. I assume it is to do with "Black Start" With parallel inverters you have to assign each inverter a status, in my case Master, Slave 1 and Slave 2. Without batteries or a grid connection there is no way for the inverters to remember their status. The batteries keep the inverters powered when there is no solar power. If the grid goes down and there is no solar power the inverters cannot start in parallel mode as they don't know which inverter is master. Probably adding a cheap small battery would fulfil this requirement. 

ok, its not the biggest problem i just wait to parallel them until the batteries are up, so step one will be 2 inverters who can run 1 at time for testing until batteries ready.

Pink

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

The actual failure mode is awaiting feedback from GroWatt Europe, but ...

Don't have your volume too high.

scary.. I do consider not ad Grid in to my setup.. Is there any other source than Youtube on this?

Pink

5 hours ago, Pink7 said:

Is there any other source than Youtube on this?

I've not looked, this one is a specific incident that was reported on another solar forum. The worrying part is that he had three inverters and two of them went bang at different times.

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

Growatt is the 4th largest inverter company in the world and so there are going to be some that have problems. The video was made to justify getting the inverter replaced under warranty. 

Alternatively you could buy a no name brand that doesn’t have to protect it’s reputation by honoring warranty claims. 

58566720-4D46-4781-A9E7-EBA0DC42DE4D.jpeg.d0c6f5398b93dbeae7200df05d5a1ddf.jpeg

Its very true. Its like the top selling brand cars, there will always be some issues, and with huge sales volume there need to be some issues.

Pink

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1