Pattaya City prepares crowd control and traffic plans for New Year’s Countdown

webfact

image.jpeg

By Adam Judd

Pattaya-Pattaya City Mayor Poramese Ngampiches and relevant officials held a planning meeting tonight, December 20th, 2022, to prepare for the three day Countdown Festival at the end of this month.

Pattaya City officials are predicting the largest crowds in three years due to the Covid-19 pandemic and after crowd estimates at the Fireworks Festival were greatly underestimated, are over preparing for the New Year. The fireworks festival in November was originally estimated to have 100,000 visitors but actually had closer to 500,000, clogging roads for hours across Pattaya.

Pattaya held a Countdown festival in 2021 but it was greatly toned down and had many restrictions limiting crowd size such as mandatory vaccine proof required and Covid testing.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/12/20/pattaya-city-prepares-crowd-control-and-traffic-plans-for-new-years-countdown/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-12-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Like the firework festival it will be chaos, what Pattaya really needs is more multistory parking to stop illegal parking along the normal roads which in many cases are way too narrow to allow any parking whatsoever, this of course would upset the local population as walking is not one of their strong points .........................LOL

They have never really been successful when it comes to controlling crowds at these events......

I recall being at the Countdown one NYE and I was amazed dozens if people didn't end up in the sea and drown... there were fights and all sorts of problems caused by excessive numbers trying to get down WS to the Bali Hai area...... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sezze said:

I was in Pattaya during the fireworks festival . Pure chaos around Soi Buakhao , couldn't even walk . What they need to do is make Soi Buakhao also 1 way . This is the simplest solution .

They did try stopping baht busses going one way for a spell,, didn't last. To be honest I am surprised we do not get more maiming incidents on this road... I have been very close to being hit by vehicles quite a few times... drivers get impatient. Delivery trucks stop wherever, ignorant people stop in front of a 7-11 to get some cigarettes...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sezze said:

What they need to do is make Soi Buakhao also 1 way . This is the simplest solution .

Thais ignore solutions.  Me 1st is their motto; they drive on pavements; the wrong way up many one-way streets even on two lane highways.

It will be total chaos as usual. Despite the modern advanced technical tools available, they are still unable to coordinate trafic lights to smooten the flow. Leaving a trafic light more than five minutes on red is asking for and creating trafic jams. And as we all know trafic lights for pedestrians are big joke here. The classic problems of this _ rd (be free to fill up) world country will always remain: Illogical mindset, egoistic behaviour, lack of education, not enforcing rulings and corruption. I won't take any transportations and will stay in my neighborhood during these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thais ignore solutions.  Me 1st is their motto; they drive on pavements; the wrong way up many one-way streets even on two lane highways.

Sure , but do you see that on beach road or 2nd road ? With a motorbike for a few m yes , not with a car . Problem is that there is too much traffic already on Soi Buakhao . Especially at the crossings with Soi Lengkee , where every single day the traffic gets stuck . The 2 way traffic there creates a big mess , since traffic from 3th road over to Lengkee wanting to cross the road to Soi LK and traffic coming from both directions wanting to go straight . When it is 1 way , like beach or 2nd , the traffic will get much easier . It is by far the easiest and cheapest solution . 3th road is bigger and can handle 2 way traffic , especially since there are much less people walking , crossing roads .

15 hours ago, vangrop said:

It will be total chaos as usual. Despite the modern advanced technical tools available, they are still unable to coordinate trafic lights to smooten the flow. Leaving a trafic light more than five minutes on red is asking for and creating trafic jams. And as we all know trafic lights for pedestrians are big joke here. The classic problems of this _ rd (be free to fill up) world country will always remain: Illogical mindset, egoistic behaviour, lack of education, not enforcing rulings and corruption. I won't take any transportations and will stay in my neighborhood during these days.

On Auto I  have found the lights around Pattaya don't have the long waits like one sees in the capital... although when the police take control of them, or do traffic duty themselves, they seem to make things worse. Some of the lights have sequences that are not efficient too.... 

The NYE celebrations in town are for the tourists now.....

On 12/21/2022 at 5:33 AM, Geoffggi said:

Like the firework festival it will be chaos, what Pattaya really needs is more multistory parking to stop illegal parking along the normal roads which in many cases are way too narrow to allow any parking whatsoever, this of course would upset the local population as walking is not one of their strong points .........................LOL

and at least keep busses, trucks and vans out of these narrow lanes