Foreign aid groups halt work after Taliban ban on female staff

Scott

image.png

The aid groups say the ban on female staff is a direct threat to their lifesaving work

Three major non-governmental organisations (NGOs) have halted work in Afghanistan after women were banned from working for them by the Taliban.

In a joint statement, Care International, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) and Save the Children said they would be unable to continue their work "without our female staff".

The aid groups are "demanding" that women can continue to work for them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64090549

BBC.jpg

Sad news especially on Christmas that beeing said what a backward bigoted bunch of pigs thease taliban are it’s to bad the afghan people dident rid themselves of this scourge when they had the chance seems to me all they bring is poverty and ignorance sad,very sad indeed 

• Like 1

And now? Will the Taliban change their action so that the NGOs come back?

Or should the west invade Afghanistan to show them how to do things?

Or should the west arm Afghan forces so that they can fight the Taliban?

Or maybe we should just accept that they do what they do. It doesn't matter if we like it or not. We are not able to tell them how to behave. And IMHO we shouldn't even try. If "the west" is so wonderful then I am sure sooner or later all those savages all over the world will follow our wonderful examples.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Afghanistan what a inhuman place it has become for females, UN what useless bunch you are what is the point of your existence.

They do their best but in this case someone threw a spanner in the works by letting them all out of prison.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

They do their best but in this case someone threw a spanner in the works by letting them all out of prison.

Nice try, won't fly.

The problem is that Afghanis can't change the system themselves, and won't accept outside aid to change either.  A real no win situation. Similar to when police arrive at a domestic violence call. A man is beating a woman so the police peel the guy off of her. Then, she starts hitting THE POLICE, screaming "let my man be!".    

You can't drag people into the 21st century from the 14th unless they are at least somewhat willing to be dragged.  If you want to get through to the Taliban, perhaps cutting off international aid for a start? Or at least make receiving aid conditional on meeting certain human rights targets.  

Half the national economy is foreign aid. Farmers can't feed themselves. The only viable industry is 'poppies'.  Nobody knows where aid goes- there is no accountability or clarity.  Until there can be some progress on this, the place will remain a basket case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Nice try, won't fly.

The problem is that Afghanis can't change the system themselves, and won't accept outside aid to change either.  A real no win situation. Similar to when police arrive at a domestic violence call. A man is beating a woman so the police peel the guy off of her. Then, she starts hitting THE POLICE, screaming "let my man be!".    

You can't drag people into the 21st century from the 14th unless they are at least somewhat willing to be dragged.  If you want to get through to the Taliban, perhaps cutting off international aid for a start? Or at least make receiving aid conditional on meeting certain human rights targets.  

Half the national economy is foreign aid. Farmers can't feed themselves. The only viable industry is 'poppies'.  Nobody knows where aid goes- there is no accountability or clarity.  Until there can be some progress on this, the place will remain a basket case. 

There is some truth to your example, I have witnessed it in Thailand.

It's the young generation that needs to be saved before it's too late IMO and time is critical, intervention to save generations of young girls and women is the only answer as I see it, and I sadly believe that is not going to happen.