Question regarding my visa extension date and holiday weekend

I'm having some issues with extending my visa which expires on 31/12/2022 - this coming Saturday. I may have to get a 7 day extension and do a bounce at Chiang Khong next week for a 45 day visa. My question is: do I need to get that 7 day extension on 30/12 before government closes, or is there an exception due to the visa expiring on a holiday weekend and then 03/01/2023 being the day I could get the extension w/o being on overstay at that point? Thank you in advance for your help.

You need to give more detail.

You mention extending your visa.

Visa cannot be extended.

You have a current permission of stay.

What is that? 

A visa exempt entry or a tourist visa that granted 60 day permit or and extension from a non O or...?

Why did you leave it so late.

In any event you need to clarify.

There is no such thing as a 7 day extension.

You would make an application for some sort of extension and when rejected be given 7 days to exit Thailand.

You don't need to do that.

Just exit prior to your current permitted date. 

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You need to give more detail.

You mention extending your visa.

Visa cannot be extended.

You have a current permission of stay.

What is that? 

A visa exempt entry or a tourist visa that granted 60 day permit or and extension from a non O or...?

Why did you leave it so late.

In any event you need to clarify.

There is no such thing as a 7 day extension.

You would make an application for some sort of extension and when rejected be given 7 days to exit Thailand.

You don't need to do that.

Just exit prior to your current permitted date. 

Sorry I'll be more clear. I've had a Non-Imm O-A visa for about 15 years. It was retirement, then extended with many Covid extensions, visit Thai family extension and most recently, marriage. I went to renew the marriage extension today at C.M. and they refused stating the bank documents were not proper (identical to last year) but refused. The IO suggested I get a 7 day extension to leave Thailand and then go to Laos and come back in on a free 45 day visa and plan my next move from there. The extension expires on 31/12/2022. What is the procedure I should follow from this point forward? Thank you.

10 hours ago, cmsally said:

There might be some helpful tips in this old thread. ( If I were you I would approach a reputable / one of the more established agents.)

Thanks Sally, I did read that thread. And I did stop at the offices of one of the most popular visa agencies in C.M. who understood the situation exactly, but said that due to the new boss at C.M. Immi. effective last week, they will not accept the BAHTNET transfers, only my FTT transfers sent from my Transferwise account. They also contacted Citibank Thailand for me (who forwarded all my SSA monthly payments to my Bangkok Bank acct each month). They no longer have a branch or any offices in C.M. The issue would have to be addressed by email and it would take at least a week to get a response and perhaps another week or more to take any action IF they could. The agent said Immi. accepted the BAHTNET transfers in the past but the new boss wants everything guaranteed now which Bangkok Bank won't do.

So the question remains, what do I do next?

My extension expires on 31/12/2022. Do I need to go back to Immigration tomorrow or Thursday and get some kind of stamp giving me 7 days? I need to plan my trip to the Laos border so really looking for some help from you very knowledgeable guys and gals.  Thanks again.

OP did you try using benefits letter from SSA ( guessing it’s US social security) showing your benefits? couple that with statement from US bank (should be available on internet banking) showing receiving SSA payment and then your transfer receipts to Thailand. 

Best of luck I know 

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I know it's now a week past the OPs deadline so hopefully he'll give an update.

OP - IF possible, just keep 400k in a Thai account for marriage extensions in the future - can't get more guaranteed that that. :wai:

I was advised by someone very knowledgeable not to get that 7-day stamp in my passport and to head to the Laos border, stamp out of Thailand before the 31st, get a 45-day tourist visa, come back and plan my next move. I already went to C.M. Immigration upon my return and told them I was able to get a guarantee letter from Citibank regarding the Bahtnet transfers having originated from overseas and they gave a lukewarm response to go back to Laos, get a new Non-O 90-day and come back with the bank papers and they would consider the one year extension again. But the IO said something to the effect that since Citibank is on its way out of Thailand, that the boss in Bangkok would have to approve it. I've already made the decision to go to Savannakhet next month and get a multi-entry Non-O and avoid another disappointment with C.M. Immigration.

• Thanks 1