7 Airlines To Slash Airfares By Up To 20% From Jan. 2023

webfact

2 minutes ago, chricha said:

Unfortunately I am paying a high price to fly on the 28th. Flew economy direct with Thai for less than $AUD800 in May/June.

Booked last week with a 15 hour journey via Manila from Sydney premium economy at $2550 - $2100 for economy. 

I'm very tall so the current "honey they struck the plane seat" trend means the airlines are now charging $US75 for aisle seats on the MNL-BKK leg!

Wish I could afford business but it's overkill. I don't need the amenities - just a 33" not 29" seat!

Comfortable long distance travel is now only the domain of the rich and cattle class is only for short people ????

There is nothing in TH worth seeing or doing that I'd pay high airfares for to endure sitting in the back of the bus on any long trip. 

48 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

I have decided, for health reasons, to bite-the-bullet and pay extra for business class if I ever fly back to the States again for a visit. I rarely fly anymore, so I'm not going to worry about airfares.

Much more comfortable than economy plus.  
Join the different airline groups such as Star Alliance and others.  Search their websites for the lowest fare.  

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Airlines have been trying to recoup their losses from the Covid restrictions. My perception is that prices went up by 50% then so a reduction of 20% still leaves the airlines 30% better off than they were pre-covid.

That is garbage, I doubt the prices on the airlines concerned went up 10%, certainly not anywhere near 50%. The prices on budgets can vary for all sort of reasons so you have to be specific when making outrageous claims.

"The seven airlines participating in this promotion are Bangkok Airways, Thai AirAsia, Thai AirAsia X, Thai Smile, Nok Air, Thai Lion Air and Thai VietJet."

Very unlikely the 20% will make much difference, maybe some saving if you fly during unsociable hours.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Dunno how you can say that. These are the fares I was used to before Covid, even somewhat lower. And that's a shame, governments should step in and heavily tax, the planet is burning. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 05.59.01.png

Same thing occurred to me immediately, internationals have already reduced their fares for 2023 travel vis a vis 2022. My return ticket to europe's return leg was significantly cheaper than my inbound leg (to Thailand) a few months ago.

32 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

So you didn't get it, really? That these 4 feet of snow are due to the so called "global warming" which most learned people would now call "climate change". But no worries mate, keep your head in the sand. That's how emus get buggered.

there are some organizations who would like to put restrictions on travel at some point for climate change.

such as ... you're only allowed to take an international flight once every 3 years.

not sure how influential they will be persuading govts.

not sure people will accept it. or if the travel industry will fight it.

maybe we should travel less and stay longer in one place when we do travel.

hopefully in the future they will invent airplanes that run on coca-cola instead of fuel. 

we seem to have an abundance of coca-cola and maybe we'll find more on mars.

ps .. .there are deals to be had now ... there were european cruises on sale for 26$/night a few weeks back.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Wouldn’t that be still 20% better off?

because the 20% discount also applies to the 50% increase as well.

You're right but it would probably depend on how the airline decides to (gradually) do it. 

13 minutes ago, superal said:

Do any of the 7 fly outside of Asia ? certainly not to the UK .  Also not forgetting that B.A. and Scoot Air have stopped flying the direct service from the UK to Thailand and EVA Air is now flying at a reduced service .  In general all flight companies have raised their prices , especially nearer to the departure date , in a similar fashion to that of a cartel . 

Quite. The covid situation came at a significant cost to the airlines with precautions, refunds etc alongside the increase in fuel. It is not any surprise they will try and recoup some of the loss.

The OP however relates to a reduction in fuel duty here in Thailand, something many choose to ignore.

• Thanks 1

Clearly “crude” prices globally have fallen off their covid peak levels… however, carriers tend to watch and use the Platts fuel index as that’s specific to their commodity- Jet-A/A1

https://www.iata.org/en/publications/economics/fuel-monitor/

So, on that front, there’s a case to be made for downward pressure on fares..

But…

I think the other major element that’s still keeping upward pressure on fares is “supply” … with load factors in some markets in the upper 80s plus, carriers see demand and their inability to add capacity is somewhat like leaving money on the table so to speak.  I suspect that carriers do want to add capacity, but most are also acutely aware they adding capacity can drive down fares IF load factors don’t remain high to support the incremental costs.

but adding capacity for some is also problematic as planes they put into storage can take weeks to re-certify for revenue service … and their crew and staff.. many who were furloughed or laid off, now have to be recalled… and like in many other fields, some of these previously employed airline staff, have found new jobs and careers, and don’t want to go back ..:

so they have to hire “off-the-street” and for many positions, there’s a lengthy licensing and training period required before they are ready 

In totality, I DO think that the cut of the excise tax will help, but that’s just one piece of the pricing equation and in the longer term, not really going to have a MAJOR impact on bottom line ticket prices. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Yes, the fiction of airlines giving discounts. I’m sure any benefit in tax reductions will assist greatly in increasing the bonus’s of upper management.

"also applies to the 50% increase as well."

Why the compulsion to distort the context?