Box to play external disk mkvs on Samsung tv

NewGuy

13 hours ago, NewGuy said:

Thanks - info digesting time. Where is the best forum to ask about an iPad app that will work with the box? I’m connected by bluetooth already.

Explain slowly and carefully exactly what you are trying to do. 

On 3/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, NewGuy said:

Some changes. I moved the android box power plug to a different power source. First time some lights are on the box.

A menu came up on the tv. Bluetooth logo, broom logo, time and date amd these logos: Play Store, YouTube, File, Apps, Kdmc, Firefox, Wallpaper, Settings. At the bottom of the screen, a green A, Prime Video, red play button, white Plus sign.

How do I navigate the screen? My new remote has batteries. On its back there are instructions re: using blue buttons. The front of the remote doesn’t have blue buttons. I can turn on a red light but can’t control the screen.

Buy an air mouse with a keyboard option. 
Example: https://shopee.co.th/product/144326078/4612161344

On 3/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, NewGuy said:

Some changes. I moved the android box power plug to a different power source. First time some lights are on the box.

A menu came up on the tv. Bluetooth logo, broom logo, time and date amd these logos: Play Store, YouTube, File, Apps, Kdmc, Firefox, Wallpaper, Settings. At the bottom of the screen, a green A, Prime Video, red play button, white Plus sign.

How do I navigate the screen? My new remote has batteries. On its back there are instructions re: using blue buttons. The front of the remote doesn’t have blue buttons. I can turn on a red light but can’t control the screen.

AFAIK, KDMC is based on an old version of KODI, version 17.6. We are now on version 20. Though my older box prefers 19.5. 
See how you go with KDMC. Otherwise you may uninstall it and install KODI proper. Perhaps start with version 19.5(Matrix). 

I’ve had lots of learning and anger too. I’ve played avi, mp4, mkv with only problem sometimes audio out of sync (tried again and again and then that cleared up). My big problem, affecting most new and old mkvs I’ve tried - no audio. Might have subs, but no audio.

3 hours ago, NewGuy said:

Using KDMC at movie played well, easy to raise and lower sound. User friendly-ish. Thanks NextG.

If you are using KDMC (which was based on Kodi version 17.6) you might find this topic useful... Kodi® for Dummies

I kept the topic up to date and pinned until version 19 of Kodi was released, because Kodi addons became Python based and there were a lot of changes to how the program looked and operated, also many menu interfaces changed, so I un-pinned the topic and stopped updating it.

Most of the information in that topic would be valid for your KDMC version though... you might find some of it useful.

But as NextG has already suggested, you might be better off uninstalling KDMC from your box, and doing a fresh install of the latest version of Kodi (available here). 

On 3/4/2023 at 4:37 PM, Jai Dee said:

If you are using KDMC (which was based on Kodi version 17.6) you might find this topic useful... Kodi® for Dummies

I kept the topic up to date and pinned until version 19 of Kodi was released, because Kodi addons became Python based and there were a lot of changes to how the program looked and operated, also many menu interfaces changed, so I un-pinned the topic and stopped updating it.

Most of the information in that topic would be valid for your KDMC version though... you might find some of it useful.

But as NextG has already suggested, you might be better off uninstalling KDMC from your box, and doing a fresh install of the latest version of Kodi (available here). 

Not too sure about the ‘latest’, as when I installed it on my 2GB RAM box, it was very slow and some things didn’t work. I uninstalled version 20 and installed 19.5. All okay. 

You can find 19.5 here: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/

• 6 months later...

Sorry for taking so long to update my experience.  I’ve been using the 

HK1 RBOXX4 Wifi 2.4/5G Bluetooth 4.1 CPU Amlogic S905X4 Android 11 unit.

It took me quite a while to become adept at running the unit, which I only used to play movies, tv shows, rock concerts etc. About 6 weeks ago things started to go wonky. Increasingly it would not recognize my usb-c to usb connected disk. I switched ports, same problem. Recently it had problems with any connection (new batteries improved things for a while). Rebooting a couple of times a session became common.

This morning it kinda blew up on me: stopped working, stopped during an mkv, other stuff. After another reboot there was a screeching sound from the back of the tv, and everything off and back on didn’t work. I rebooted my UBC box (it wouldn’t send to the tv until I gently hit the box a few times). So UBC was back, but no sound. The Yamaha receiver was off so I turned it on.

I won’t use the Android box again.

My choices are get some other unit from Lazada or buy one at Tukcom, quite near to me. What do you suggest?

The thing I appreciated most about that devil Android box was there was no music during the flashy animation at boot up.

Now I am thinking of buying the same unit again, maybe it’ll work longer.

There is an option with an “air mouse” for 300 baht more. Why would one need an air mouse?

I also saw a number of android 13 units that featured voice control of my tv.  I will pass on that feature.