Check Bin Shock At La Momma Trattoria In Jomtien

Jingthing

OK, I am being a bit silly posting this, but here goes.

Tried out this newly branded Italian open air place to the left of Foodmart Market in Jomtien. It is now open from the afternoon and is a pleasant Med setting, parking lot views notwithstanding.

So I order a main dish from the list on the menu. No formed opinion on the food quality yet, not bad, not great is all I can say. Anyway, at the bottom of the menu right under these mains it says in large black bold type something like Choice of potato, fries, boiled, or mashed included with main dishes. Couldn't be more clear.

OR

This being Thailand. Could it?

So the check bin arrives and there in plain English again is an a la carte charge for my mashed potatoes. 60 baht over the expected charge of 150 B. I won't calculate the exact extra percentage overcharge this represents as dear Weho would do (I am a big fan!). Anyway, I balk immediately and demand to speak to the one person there that sorta speaks English. She never says this is a mistake. She tries to explain to me something about their ordering system (assuming I understand what she was trying to say). My understanding is that when a customer chooses a potato type, that is entered into the system, and thus gets charged. She then asks: YOU NO PAY???

Now, at this point, sensitive soul that I imagine myself to be, I am offended. Is she trying to say I should pay extra even though the menu clearly states the spuds are always included? She wasn't arguing taking it off the bill. She did seem to be saying paying this extra charge was the right thing to do. At this point, I wondered if I had misread the menu, and politely demanded to see the menu again. Just as I thought, potatoes INCLUDED in clear black large type.

Now I was brought a modified bill. Great. But (actually I asked about this) never an admission they were wrong and never a promise they wouldn't do the exact same thing to me the next time I might come, or even the next customer in the door. Well, actually the next customer in, as they don't have a door.

Their motto is Italian food at Thai prices.

Well, not exactly ...

Edited by Jingthing

Just curious, but what Italian dish would be accompanied by Mashed potatoes ?

Who cares? Do I look Italian? I felt like mashed potatoes to go with my fried calamari. Truth be told, they were odd tasting mashed potatoes and I'm not sure if I liked them or not. They kind of tasted like polenta (which I like in theory but if they are going to give you polenta when you asked for mashed potatoes, all is not right in their world) but they also kind of tasted of margarine (which I detest).

Now if I was Weho I would have asked for the Teriyaki sauce.

Edited by Jingthing

Was the food any good? I thought that since they are opposite Pan Pan, which has arguably the best Pizza in town, they might 'try harder' and make some really nice food for low prices, but I was hoping to hear from someone else in case I was very wrong. What's your verdict? Thumbs up or down?

One visit is hard to make a strong opinion. I haven't tried their pizza or pasta. The presentation was nice, the portions were small to medium, and the flavor was acceptable for what I had. I had a gander at a pizza on a nearby table. Looked mediocre; it was of the thin crust Italian style. I had previously had a calzone at the same location before it rebranded. I don't know if it is really a new cook or not as some of the menu items appear identical to the old branding. That calzone was awful.

Bottom line, don't travel long distances to eat there, and check your check ...

The prices are pretty good assuming you get charged the price on the menu.

Pan Pan is probably better all around. But definitely pricier.

Edited by Jingthing

Weho feels that responding in THIRD person is the thing to do with this question... Actually, weho feels you basically did the right thing: bringing it to their attention, and publicizing it on a place like this. In addition, Weho would have written a note to give to the owner/manager, in BIG print: YOU ARE CHEATING PEOPLE, IT IS THEFT, BUDDAH NO LIKE THEFT. I AM INSTRUCTING YOU TO CEASE THIS ILLEGAL ACTIVITY AT ONCE. EVEN THOUGH YOUR MENU IS CLEAR THAT THE POTATO IS INCLUDED, I AM INSTRUCTING YOU TO ADD TO NEW MENUS TO BE PRINTED WITHIN TWO DAYS: "CHOICE OF POTATO IS INCLUDED, THAT MEANS FARANG NO PAY FOR POTATO WITH MAIN ENTREE".

Then, Weho would add to the note: YOU NO COOPERATE, WEHO POST MESSAGE ON THAI VISA AND TELL EVERY FARANG WATCH OUT FOR SCAM THEFT... AND REMEMBER: BUDDAH NO LIKE. YOU LOSE FACE.

Weho feels that farang in Thailand have obligation to point these things out. Weho feels this scam is almost as bad as Fuji Restaurant's policy of charging for rice they soil, due to their negligence. Weho feels if farang stay silent, and cave in, and just pay the extortion, the farang is equally guilty in the scam/theft that Buddah no like.

And weho feels that IF the restaurant sees the error of their way, and corrects the policy of theft IMMEDIATELY, weho would give the restaurant PRAISE publically in a forum, such as this. Weho also feels 60 baht for potatoes seems high, considering the theives at Fuji only charge 16 baht for rice they soil.

Weho would also like to add that if you feel for MASHED, even with alledged Italian food, that's OK... up to you. Weho has no problem with this culinary faux pas. We're not exactly gourmands here, are we? Weho recommends eating them BAKED, which is healthy, as long as you don't put in tons of heart-clogging fats. And remember: margerine is WORST for you than butter is... all those hydrogenated oils...

We're not exactly gourmands here, are we?

hmmm... somebody who eats mashed taters with calamari is not exactly a gourmet (i think).

:o

It was a fusion meal. It was also actually the only time in my life I had fried calamari with mash, and don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

I suppose fries would be more common, but one fried item was all that I wanted.

They are the ones offering a choice of potato. It would be more Italian to have a side pasta. Actually, I do think a nice polenta would have been very nice with calamari, and this mash was polenta-like. I mostly eat rice in Thailand, and sometimes crave potatoes. So it worked for me at that moment in time.

BTW, thanks Weho for the excellent commentary.

Edited by Jingthing

She never says this is a mistake. She tries to explain to me something about their ordering system (assuming I understand what she was trying to say). My understanding is that when a customer chooses a potato type, that is entered into the system, and thus gets charged. She then asks: YOU NO PAY???

Good old Thai hospitality - FARANG PAY!!!

Don't get me started about overcharging!  Oh, go on then.  Well how about this - work this one out:  i was using the internet upstairs in Big C (Pattaya).  Only 1 baht per minute. I often use this place to check my email when passing through.  Anyhow, a few weeks ago i sat down at a PC, aknowledged the girl as normal, and checked my email -  5 or 6 minutes. I then stood up and went to pay the girl - 10 baht minimum - no probs, still good value.  I handed the girl 10 baht 

and started to walk away. However, she came after me saying i owed her 50 baht.  Why i asked? I had only been on 5 -6 minutes.  This girl couldnt speak english very well so she got the girl from the adjacent book shop to explain:   The last person to use that particular PC had walked away and forgot to pay for 50 minutes, she knew it wasnt me, but since i was the next person to use that PC then i should pay.  it took me a little time to explain to the girl that i didnt accept this reasoning.  However, i was made to look like the villan to passing observers :o

Edited by observer21

Weho feels that responding in THIRD person is the thing to do with this question... Actually, weho feels you basically did the right thing: bringing it to their attention, and publicizing it on a place like this. In addition, Weho would have written a note to give to the owner/manager, in BIG print: YOU ARE CHEATING PEOPLE, IT IS THEFT, BUDDAH NO LIKE THEFT. I AM INSTRUCTING YOU TO CEASE THIS ILLEGAL ACTIVITY AT ONCE. EVEN THOUGH YOUR MENU IS CLEAR THAT THE POTATO IS INCLUDED, I AM INSTRUCTING YOU TO ADD TO NEW MENUS TO BE PRINTED WITHIN TWO DAYS: "CHOICE OF POTATO IS INCLUDED, THAT MEANS FARANG NO PAY FOR POTATO WITH MAIN ENTREE".

Then, Weho would add to the note: YOU NO COOPERATE, WEHO POST MESSAGE ON THAI VISA AND TELL EVERY FARANG WATCH OUT FOR SCAM THEFT... AND REMEMBER: BUDDAH NO LIKE. YOU LOSE FACE.

Weho feels that farang in Thailand have obligation to point these things out. Weho feels this scam is almost as bad as Fuji Restaurant's policy of charging for rice they soil, due to their negligence. Weho feels if farang stay silent, and cave in, and just pay the extortion, the farang is equally guilty in the scam/theft that Buddah no like.

And weho feels that IF the restaurant sees the error of their way, and corrects the policy of theft IMMEDIATELY, weho would give the restaurant PRAISE publically in a forum, such as this. Weho also feels 60 baht for potatoes seems high, considering the theives at Fuji only charge 16 baht for rice they soil.

Weho would also like to add that if you feel for MASHED, even with alledged Italian food, that's OK... up to you. Weho has no problem with this culinary faux pas. We're not exactly gourmands here, are we? Weho recommends eating them BAKED, which is healthy, as long as you don't put in tons of heart-clogging fats. And remember: margerine is WORST for you than butter is... all those hydrogenated oils...

Gerd thinks you meant gourmets and not gourmands, right?

(Chef) Gerd

Don't get me started about overcharging! Oh, go on then. Well how about this - work this one out: i was using the internet upstairs in Big C (Pattaya). Only 1 baht per minute. I often use this place to check my email when passing through. Anyhow, a few weeks ago i sat down at a PC, aknowledged the girl as normal, and checked my email - 5 or 6 minutes. I then stood up and went to pay the girl - 10 baht minimum - no probs, still good value. I handed the girl 10 baht

and started to walk away. However, she came after me saying i owed her 50 baht. Why i asked? I had only been on 5 -6 minutes. This girl couldnt speak english very well so she got the girl from the adjacent book shop to explain: The last person to use that particular PC had walked away and forgot to pay for 50 minutes, she knew it wasnt me, but since i was the next person to use that PC then i should pay. it took me a little time to explain to the girl that i didnt accept this reasoning. However, i was made to look like the villan to passing observers :o

You kind of hit on my issue. It wasn't so much the overcharge which there was no way I was going to pay, but rather the way they made me feel. I was made to feel like the villain for enforcing their very clear menu policy. As if it was my fault they had some kind of hair brained broken system where the customers choice of potato type side dish automatically generates a charge. Maybe it is so in Ting Tong Cuckoo Land, but I don't live there yet. As if only a troublesome farang would ask that written English policies actually be honored. The nerve! I have to guess most so called jai yen farangs especially tourists would let such BS pass.

Edited by Jingthing

Who cares? Do I look Italian?

Reminds me of a joke:

Q: Why do Italian men grow mustaches?

A: So they can look like their mothers.

Actually, I kind of do look Italian. And now that you have insulted my Mama I will have to harm you.

Who cares? Do I look Italian?

Reminds me of a joke:

Q: Why do Italian men grow mustaches?

A: So they can look like their mothers.

Actually, I kind of do look Italian. And now that you have insulted my Mama I will have to harm you.

Another little Italian joke:

Q:  what is the difference between a slice of toast and an Italian man

A;  you can make soldiers out of a slice of toast

Gerd thinks you meant gourmets and not gourmands, right?

(Chef) Gerd

I thought he meant Gonads :o