Small family SUV

Yodarapper

Looking for a small family SUV- reliable and easy to sell when we move on from Thailand. Family of 4 - 2 small kids.

looking at Toyota veloz, Honda brv or hrv or one of the Mazdas. Also the MG zs or maybe even a Mitsubishi expander?

don’t want to spend too much - not sure we will even get financing as expats newish to the country.

thanks.

Edited by Yodarapper

We recently bought a Toyota Veloz to replace our eight-year old Chevrolet Spin (also 7-seater but missing many of the automotive advances over the last few years, particularly in terms of safety, e.g. blind spot and crossing traffic monitoring, side airbags, and IsoFix car seats). 

No long trips as of yet as still have red plates so no real world experiences (and remember to request an English user manual - no charge but they wanted a copy of my passport).  

A factor for us was Toyota's reputation for service and the much better retained value should we sell at some point in the future.   It feels and looks much bigger even though the measurements are not much different.  I understand the Honda BRV is being updated so I would do some research on it and see if delivery will be a problem (it was for their Mobilo when we bought the Spin).

Edited by mudcat
typo

I was looking at small SUV's and ended up buying a Mazda CX3 because it had a 2 litre engine and was cheapish (850K baht) in that soft small SUV segment. I am so sure how the CX3 even managed to be classed as a soft SUV. 

This vehicle suffers from loss of luggage capacity, important if you have 2 x children and want to travel. 

We live in Bangkok so rarely ended up using it as the public transport is good, so we have done less that 6 000km in our vehicle since 2021. If outside of Bangkok I would use it more. Having children makes a vehicle more appealing though, doesn't it.

I recommend that if you want cheaper options that you look at a couple of the second hand vehicle websites as there are some reasonably priced second hand vehicles. I have seen a few second hand Nissan Xtrails cheap which are pretty reasonable 4 x 4 small SUV's. Look at Kaidee for example to compare new versus second hand pricing.

20 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I was looking at small SUV's and ended up buying a Mazda CX3 because it had a 2 litre engine and was cheapish (850K baht) in that soft small SUV segment. I am so sure how the CX3 even managed to be classed as a soft SUV. 

This vehicle suffers from loss of luggage capacity, important if you have 2 x children and want to travel. 

We live in Bangkok so rarely ended up using it as the public transport is good, so we have done less that 6 000km in our vehicle since 2021. If outside of Bangkok I would use it more. Having children makes a vehicle more appealing though, doesn't it.

I recommend that if you want cheaper options that you look at a couple of the second hand vehicle websites as there are some reasonably priced second hand vehicles. I have seen a few second hand Nissan Xtrails cheap which are pretty reasonable 4 x 4 small SUV's. Look at Kaidee for example to compare new versus second hand pricing.

But would a second hand place give me finance? What about a place like toyotasure, do they give finance?

We just bought a new Veloz (Premium version) and drove it from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with all our belongings. 
There was a 3 months waitlist when we made our booking in September. 
I have no major complaints about the car. It drives nicely and I like the safety features. 

Averaging around 16km/L so far.
One common complaint is that there is no cruise control, not sure if comparable Honda or Mazdas have it. 

50 minutes ago, triplez said:

We just bought a new Veloz (Premium version) and drove it from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with all our belongings. 
There was a 3 months waitlist when we made our booking in September. 
I have no major complaints about the car. It drives nicely and I like the safety features. 

Averaging around 16km/L so far.
One common complaint is that there is no cruise control, not sure if comparable Honda or Mazdas have it. 

The Mazda2 has cruise control, so guessing the rest of their line up does also, since M2 is their entry level model.  Not many cars don't have it today.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

Still hunting for a car - thinking a Mitsubishi xpander or a Toyota chr from a Toyota sure dealer might be the way I go.

thoughts on these cars?

also, out of curiosity - would buying an eléctrica car second hand be possible? Wise?

Stated on your other thread, owned MG ZS ICE, and excellent.   Like it so much, bought the EV version.

2nd hand EV would be fine, though with the govt incentives for new, then don't think new would be that much more.

Buy the Mazda CX30. It is a great choice. Feels luxurious. Well appointed and alot of quality. Not cheap at 1.2 million for the top model. But worth it. Great sound system too. 

The MG is poor quality. Looks nice. But, it is much  like a fake Rolex. Looks nice on the outside, but not alot of build quality. Cheap Chinese stuff. The Hondas are very boring compared to the Mazda, which is a joy to drive. 

Also, I would never consider buying another vehicle without cruise control, or a heater. This has both. 

Edited by spidermike007

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Buy the Mazda CX30. It is a great choice. Feels luxurious. Well appointed and alot of quality. Not cheap at 1.2 million for the top model. But worth it. Great sound system too. 

The MG is poor quality. Looks nice. But, it is much  like a fake Rolex. Looks nice on the outside, but not alot of build quality. Cheap Chinese stuff. The Hondas are very boring compared to the Mazda, which is a joy to drive. 

Also, I would never consider buying another vehicle without cruise control, or a heater. This has both. 

@KhunLA is the MG a fake Rolex?

also I’ve heard they have like 5 years warranty and that it’s transferable if you buy second hand - any ideas? Warranty on what?

thanks

32 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

also I’ve heard they have like 5 years warranty and that it’s transferable if you buy second hand - any ideas? Warranty on what?

thanks

If your looking for cheap as chips suggest you look at Neta V 549,000 baht

https://www.neta.co.th/th

The cheapest electric car on one2one website is an used Neta V for 617,000 baht 

You wouldn't find any billy bargains on 2nd electric cars in Thailand

1 hour ago, Yodarapper said:

thanks

Don't know about the transfer of warranty, but we love ours, obviously, Since we upgraded to the E version.

Wonder how many current (SAIC) models of MGs, that SM7 has owned to base his opinion on.

Has cruise control & heater, if he was referring to the MG.  

Edited by KhunLA