Off-Patent Liver Disease Drug Could Stop COVID-19 and Protect Against Future Variants

placeholder

Cambridge scientists have shown that a widely-used drug to treat liver disease can prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection or reduce COVID-19 severity
The drug has minimal side effects, is cheap, and should protect against future variants of SARS-CoV-2
Their unique study involved ‘mini-organs’, animal research, donated human organs, volunteers, and patients

https://scitechdaily.com/off-patent-liver-disease-drug-could-stop-covid-19-and-protect-against-future-variants/

5 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"Could" and "Should". Not very reassuring comments. Sounds like a snake oil salesperson trying to make money off the trusting public.

Really? It's generic.. Obviously, what's going on here is that this runs contrary to the belief of some that Big Pharma is in control of the agenda. One of the most important medications used against covid  are generic steroids. Not much money to be made there either.                 

• Like 2

Just now, placeholder said:

Really? It's generic.. Obviously, what's going on here is that this runs contrary to the belief of some that Big Pharma is in control of the agenda. One of the most important medications used against covid  are generic steroids. Not much money to be made there either.                 

"One of the most important medications used against covid  are generic steroids."..... proof please.

There are no clinical trials done so no proof yet. But I dont  see how this can be cheaper then a covid shot. Those shots are not expensive and help for over a longer period. So the cost thing you mention seems strange. Unless your talking about clearing it out after a infection.

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

There are no clinical trials done so no proof yet. But I dont  see how this can be cheaper then a covid shot. Those shots are not expensive and help for over a longer period. So the cost thing you mention seems strange. Unless your talking about clearing it out after a infection.

Well, clinical trials are going to be a lot more quickly completed because the drug has already been approved for other uses. And some people who get vaccinated still fall seriously il. And, of course, there are those afflicted with lemming genes who refuse to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, clinical trials are going to be a lot more quickly completed because the drug has already been approved for other uses. And some people who get vaccinated still fall seriously il. And, of course, there are those afflicted with lemming genes who refuse to be vaccinated.

So you see it as treatment not protection because if used for protection it will be more expensive then vaccinations. I would love it if they complete the clinical trials and any medicine that helps against covid is great. 

Minimal side effects ? Not that i worry that much but if you want protection then taking it long term might be a problem. Anyway what I am saying is that its great but again no miracle.

Lets hope it really works anything that helps treatment is great.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

So you see it as treatment not protection because if used for protection it will be more expensive then vaccinations. I would love it if they complete the clinical trials and any medicine that helps against covid is great. 

Minimal side effects ? Not that i worry that much but if you want protection then taking it long term might be a problem. Anyway what I am saying is that its great but again no miracle.

Lets hope it really works anything that helps treatment is great.

As the article pointed out, if a new variant arises that is resistant to current vaccines, it would be useful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

As the article pointed out, if a new variant arises that is resistant to current vaccines, it would be useful.

It could be useful as of now no clinical trials have been done so nothing has been proven. Not sure why you act like its a done deal when no real research has been done. I hope your right. Who does not want a generic medicine with little side effects.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

It could be useful as of now no clinical trials have been done so nothing has been proven. Not sure why you act like its a done deal when no real research has been done. I hope your right. Who does not want a generic medicine with little side effects.

The drug itself has long since been tested and is evidently relative safe. It's effectiveness against covid is sill a clinical observation but there would seem to be little or no impediment to it's use.