A decent phone for 5,000 baht?

Elkski

Obviously you are talking a time wasting social media item as good phones for calling/SMS sell for about 1k.

Samsung is likely the best choice as most know how to use and they work well - but best in case as cheaper models tend to slip of out hand and become trash fast.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually might be good to buy phone/plan from True/AIS/DTAC as often get a good discount tied to phone plan (which will be needed in any case).  

Indeed, though the OP is buying as a gift for someone, and may not want to get involved in operator phone plans etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The only thing to watch with a second hand iPhone is that Apple build in redundancy.

Then you are also stuck with only being able to interface with other Apple products.

It is all down to want you want to do.

I don't have the choice! It's my Mrs. Seriously, I already had a Huawei GR5 2017 (also five years old). I can't install certain financial apps especially some of the new Nano Bank ones because they require Android version 8.1 and above. My iPhone 8 Plus is OK (so far). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PPGuy said:

Been using it for 2 years. Or am i dreaming?

Seems someone is a little too hasty in reporting posts. I cannot see my original post to which you replied. There is no  Samsung A21s (Ram 6gb / Rom 64gb) with 5G. It seems pointing that out leads to your post being deleted here. Are Samsung sponsoring this thread? Did I miss something? ☺️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Look for a phone brand that provides at least 2 Android op system updates from current Android 13 and phone that provides 3 years of security updates

Most of them don't so that should reduce your shortlist to a few brands

Not at all necessary and it limits the specification available at that price point. 
For example, a particular user might be far more interested in the quality of the picture taken and the quality of the screen, than whether they can still use their banking application in eight years time. 

52 minutes ago, NextG said:

Not at all necessary and it limits the specification available at that price point. 
For example, a particular user might be far more interested in the quality of the picture taken and the quality of the screen, than whether they can still use their banking application in eight years time. 

Each to their own but I would suspect people are more concerned about security updates ensure the data on their phone isn't available to all and sundry than peripheral features such as number of mb for camera

a quick search on lazada between 4,500 baht and 5,500 baht shows 578 smartphones available changing the price range between 4,500 and 5,000 baht shows 371

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Seems someone is a little too hasty in reporting posts. I cannot see my original post to which you replied. There is no  Samsung A21s (Ram 6gb / Rom 64gb) with 5G. It seems pointing that out leads to your post being deleted here. Are Samsung sponsoring this thread? Did I miss something? ☺️

Well, you do seem to be rather confused. Maybe it's you who is dreaming. My A21s with spec as noted is doing just fine. Some posters seem to think they know more than they actually do............might be an idea to quit while you are behind. 

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Each to their own but I would suspect people are more concerned about security updates ensure the data on their phone isn't available to all and sundry than peripheral features such as number of mb for camera

a quick search on lazada between 4,500 baht and 5,500 baht shows 578 smartphones available changing the price range between 4,500 and 5,000 baht shows 371

Lol

I cannot imagine the average female with a smartphone gives any consideration to whether it has two years or three years of security updates or whether it’s on Android 12 or 13. It just needs to look good, take good pictures, do the things that they need smoothly and stand proudly amongst the phones their peers might have. 
What happens after three years? Throw away and buy a new one or keep using?

I say for 5k get a phone that will impress, rather than an embarrassing clunker that she refuses to remove from her handbag. 
Post is tongue in cheek of course. I’m sure I have to state that here. There are some over sensitive people. 

2 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

Well, you do seem to be rather confused. Maybe it's you who is dreaming. My A21s with spec as noted is doing just fine. Some posters seem to think they know more than they actually do............might be an idea to quit while you are behind. 

https://gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a21s-10239.php

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your phone is not 5G capable. 
There is no 5G variation. If you can post a link to one, I will happily donate 1000 baht to the charity if your choice. If you cannot, may I name a charity for you to contribute?

10 minutes ago, NextG said:

Lol

I cannot imagine the average female with a smartphone gives any consideration to whether it has two years or three years of security updates or whether it’s on Android 12 or 13. It just needs to look good, take good pictures, do the things that they need smoothly and stand proudly amongst the phones their peers might have. 
What happens after three years? Throw away and buy a new one or keep using?

I say for 5k get a phone that will impress, rather than an embarrassing clunker that she refuses to remove from her handbag. 
Post is tongue in cheek of course. I’m sure I have to state that here. There are some over sensitive people. 

Problem is Op has provided no details on recipients requirements or usage other than phone is for sister in law

Its a given if her phone is hacked due to lack of security updates its a resonable 

certainty where the finger of blame will be pointed at

There are many different brands in the op price range that do provide a 5,000+mah battery and security updates and Android operating system updates

here are a few 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/smartphone-manufacturers-best-android-updates/

53 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Problem is Op has provided no details on recipients requirements or usage other than phone is for sister in law

Its a given if her phone is hacked due to lack of security updates its a resonable 

certainty where the finger of blame will be pointed at

There are many different brands in the op price range that do provide a 5,000+mah battery and security updates and Android operating system updates

here are a few 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/smartphone-manufacturers-best-android-updates/

The issue is the price point. All manufacturers have different policies for their lower end phones. You’ll have difficulty finding one at that price point that gives the guarantee that you have suggested. 
Try finding at least one model that fits. 

Wild goose chase?

Her screen is cracked real badly.   I think she just uses it with wifi as they only go to town and back and don't need Google maps. However in one trip she heard her buffalo was loose soaybe texts?   She uses line for calls and video chats at home.  Her old one is an Hawai or that brand,  so android.  I will have to inquire if she  has or is interested in a phone plan for calls.  I can't imagine she would need but 1 gb of data  each month.  How much is a phone plan like that.  

Yes a cover and hardness 9  uv glue screen protection is nice. 

Edited by Elkski

6 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Her screen is cracked real badly.   I think she just uses it with wifi as they only go to town and back and don't need foogje maps.

In that case an entry Samsung A01 or the like at about 3k should be fine - but do get a protective cover for it.  Less expense if lost/broken and should work fine for what she needs.