What's a fair price per hour for online teaching?

Irrumator

On 2/17/2023 at 5:40 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Add that certain chain of language schools named after a famous street in New York into that mix. I've heard they charge ridiculous amounts, the teachers are paid a pittance, the teachers are lied to about scheduling and their number of hours, and finally, it's more a sales outfit than a school. Teachers are evaluated on how well they can push students into signing up for longer or additional packages.

I've heard exactly the same, and also that they are very ageist - no one over 40 ever gets a job with them.

On 2/3/2023 at 8:22 PM, Doctor Tom said:

I teach aerodynamics and general aviation subjects to aviation students online,  through a US based facilitator.,  They pay me $12 per hour,  so I clearly don't do it for the money, but its hassle free and I can pick and choose both hours of availability and what students I want to teach.  I don't teach English and I don't teach under 18s.    

Almost the same as me, except that in Thailand I HAVE to teach English because that's what the students want to learn.
My French is too rusty to teach that ad I don't speak other popular languages here, such as Chinese and Japanese.  
I don't teach under 18s either.  And I like the fact that I can pick and choose my jobs.  

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 5:30 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I teach English, but only upper high school and up. Sometimes I'll get good, mature M1-M2 students (7th-8th grade) but it is rare. If you're used to teaching advanced vocabulary, academic reading and writing, professional applications, you're certainly not going to switch into colorful flash cards, noisemakers, hand puppets, silly faces, for the next student. Haha. They are totally different beasts.

Some really don't get that. "You're an English teacher? Here, teach my 10 year old." Uh, no. But I'll have you know, that certain famous name BKK private school I once worked for and keep mentioning, once tried to hand a primary class off to me. The fact that secondary and primary teaching have totally different requirements should be common knowledge in education. That pretty much let me the know the quality of that school.

Tell me, did this school's name begin and end with 's' with another 's' third from the end?