Car tax ticket & car tax itself

Can I just not pay the ticket I got for not having car tax? I suppose I will find out soon as I need to go get the car tax for this year, hopefully they don’t ask about the newly issued ticket.

Serious question though, what if I just don’t get the car tax and just keep wracking up fines every now and again? It’s a shakedown system the way they accept cash onsite, I actually feel like not paying is my duty as a good visitor but just curious of the actual realities. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6
  • Haha 2

try and  get your car tax NOT  in the province you got the ticket in as it seems  many areas are not  linked up yet. I got a  ticket in Bangkok but renewed  tax at Pranburi twice with no problem. never paid the ticket, that was a speeding ticket though

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

In theory, if it is an official ticket, you will not be able to get your car tax until it is paid.

There was an article about it in AN a while ago.

Perhaps, as is so common in Thailand, processes, procedures and interpretation of regulations varies tremendously from office to office.

One round trip to BKK and back to CM netted me 4 speeding tickets from cameras.  Those unpaid tickets ended up in a landfill somewhere.  I've renewed car insurance and registration three times since the tickets were issued.  No difficulty encountered yet.  YMMV.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Perhaps, as is so common in Thailand, processes, procedures and interpretation of regulations varies tremendously from office to office.

One round trip to BKK and back to CM netted me 4 speeding tickets from cameras.  Those unpaid tickets ended up in a landfill somewhere.  I've renewed car insurance and registration three times since the tickets were issued.  No difficulty encountered yet.  YMMV.

seems  to work ok if you tax it  NOT in the province you were caught in but YMMV

2 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

seems  to work ok if you tax it  NOT in the province you were caught in but YMMV

I'm pretty sure none of my 4 tickets was issued in CM province.  That is the most logical reason that I've had no issue at DLT with insurance and registration.

6 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Can you pay car tax at any dept of land transport you’d like throughout Thailand? Anyone know. Thanks for the posts good to know. 

6 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I know this sounds crazy, but couldn't you just, you know, pay the ticket?

Problem solved.

I will go look for a counterfeit tax display before I will pay it. In fact that may be my next thread

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1

if it's a ticket for not having the car tax, keep that up for three years and you officially don't have to pay anymore as the car will be 'off the road' essentially unregistered

for those that say they're able to renew their tax with outstanding tickets in the past, the linking system were fully operational at the start of this year, what you experienced before is no longer true, try taxing your car this year 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, digbeth said:

if it's a ticket for not having the car tax,

Don;t they also fine you an amount for late payment? I was a few days late once on a motor cycle and had to pay a few extra baht. 

if so he isn't going to be able to avoid paying for the current period unless as you say he just leaves it perpetually.......

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

if it's a ticket for not having the car tax, keep that up for three years and you officially don't have to pay anymore as the car will be 'off the road' essentially unregistered

for those that say they're able to renew their tax with outstanding tickets in the past, the linking system were fully operational at the start of this year, what you experienced before is no longer true, try taxing your car this year 

That’s according to some horrible “news” articles. Do you have any experience with the systems actually being linked. Supposedly people are reporting you can simply go to another province and pay the tax anyway, even with the linked system. Sounds about right for Thailand tbh 

3 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

That’s according to some horrible “news” articles. Do you have any experience with the systems actually being linked. Supposedly people are reporting you can simply go to another province and pay the tax anyway, even with the linked system. Sounds about right for Thailand tbh 

I don't have outstanding ticket, but when I taxed mine online there are now a screen that checks for unpaid tickets, and I did check on the government app using my 13 digit ID number and all my previous tickets and all cars and bikes under my name came up, even manual handwritten one that's parking related, not  just speed camera ones

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

renewed 2  pick ups  this year no problem both had speeding tickets, no mention of them when renewing, one in BKK the other at Pranburi, both tickets were not  in the same locationsd/province as the tickets

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

renewed 2  pick ups  this year no problem both had speeding tickets, no mention of them when renewing, one in BKK the other at Pranburi, both tickets were not  in the same locationsd/province as the tickets

Was it a roadside speed gun where they flag you down and hand you a ticket or a photo mailed to your address later? 

8 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Was it a roadside speed gun where they flag you down and hand you a ticket or a photo mailed to your address later? 

Not to disrail your question but that’s part of my issue. My last ticket was “pay us 500 baht cash now and we won’t give you a 1000 baht car tax (written ticket)”. To me it’s clear extortion and should never be paid. 

Even if they do inquire about it when I pay my tax I will bring up they tried to extort me for cash on the side of the road. Not that this would help my case I’m just making a point. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Can you pay car tax at any dept of land transport you’d like throughout Thailand? Anyone know. Thanks for the posts good to know. 

Yes.  Did it earlier this year when up country and realised mine would run out before I got home.

PH

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Phulublub said:

Yes.  Did it earlier this year when up country and realised mine would run out before I got home.

PH

Yeah. I was thinking I could do this in issan. I think they still use typewriters at my local office, and maybe sparrows for mail. I doubt this info has made it out there. 

• Sad 1

IF your car is not taxed... Is it then also 'not insured' ??   

Theoretically an uninsured tax is not road legal and give insurance wiggle room not to cover your damages in the event of an accident. 

Other that wanting to know how the system works, and the discussion about how tickets issued in a different province may not show up on the local DLT system when it comes to tax renewal time - the risk of not taxing your car and it not being insured as a result is potentially a far bigger issue itself. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Not to disrail your question but that’s part of my issue. My last ticket was “pay us 500 baht cash now and we won’t give you a 1000 baht car tax (written ticket)”. To me it’s clear extortion and should never be paid. 

Even if they do inquire about it when I pay my tax I will bring up they tried to extort me for cash on the side of the road. Not that this would help my case I’m just making a point. 

The fine for driving an expired/untaxed vehicle is 400-1000 baht so you can look at it a shakedown for a bribe, or convenience discount for paying on the spot

If they had been legit, after giving you the 1000 baht ticket it must be entered into the 'system' if you paid at the post office you'd have been given an official receipt.

The people at LTO office doing your tax will have no power to do about your situation, you want to make a point go yell in front of the police station, or continue to drive untaxed  

There is a record in the back of the log book when tax/insurance was paid.

To tax/insure, you must pay off any arrears from previous years.

Any official unpaid fines for speeding, going through red lights, will also be detailed.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 1

Ok mods get ready to close this thread for all further replies, because we have verified facts here:

I had two tickets for having no car tax. Both tickets were obtained outside the province I live in. I just went to my local province to pay my current tax and they accepted it without mention of the unpaid fines. I didn’t even seem like she got on a computer. 

I swear there is a gene in humans that makes them suck up to governments and almost feel proud to give in and pay the shakedown artists. Why are you like this? 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I swear there is a gene in humans that makes them suck up to governments and almost feel proud to give in and pay the shakedown artists. Why are you like this? 

There is a gene in the police that makes them want to arrest people for not paying taxes and fines. Do you really want to get deported over a few hundred baht?

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

There is a gene in the police that makes them want to arrest people for not paying taxes and fines. Do you really want to get deported over a few hundred baht?

As far as I know DUI is the only motoring offense that will get you deported ..... and then only if you're not on a marriage extension.

No D/L, no insurance, no tax, no helmet, speeding ....... small fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I know DUI is the only motoring offense that will get you deported ..... and then only if you're not on a marriage extension.

No D/L, no insurance, no tax, no helmet, speeding ....... small fine.

I’m on such a high. Nice lady rang me up in 30 seconds. Idk why it was so uncrowded on a Friday but it was empty. And no word on the wracked up fines. Solid. Viva la Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Maybe next year you’ll get your wish and they will have their systems up to date and they will ring up my old fines. Idk why you’d want that. Silly. But to each their own I suppose. As for now, eat it sucker. Go pay your fines. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Firstly you have no insurance, secondly when/if you do pay road tax it will be backdated, after 3 yrs your Reg plate will be cancelled, if anyone wants to tax it again it will have to be re-registered with a new number and book. 

Just pay the fine at almost any bank + 20b bank fee. What's the fine 500b ?