What do you think about Russians fleeing to Thailand?

How to you feel about the Russian exodus to Thailand? For the sake of the topic, please don't amalgamate Russians and their gov. Why do you think they are doing it and would you do the same if you were in their shoes?

And if you're Russian of course feel free to share your personal reasons and experience.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts 👍

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, theblether said:

First, not every Russian in Thailand is fleeing the war. Just the same way as not every Irishman was in the IRA and not every Muslim is a member of ISIS. Plenty of Russians were emigrating and traveling the world long before he war started. 

Second, far too many Russians are being harassed and bullied over an issue that they have no control over, or, in many cases, agree with. This is done by a coterie of idiot farangs that start firing into this stupid conversation as soon as they discover their nationality. It's from the same rancid low IQ stable as talking to Germans about the war and Argentinians born in the 1990's about the Falklands. By definition, the vast majority of Russians in Thailand want no part in the war so making it a topic of conversation ( which they hear all day every day by farang strangers ) is rude and foolish. Give it a rest. 

Treat them as individuals. The Russians I talk to breathe a visible sigh of relief when I refuse to engage in any form of controversy or war talk. I've found them to be good, and interesting company, although I have no doubt they have their fair share of a**holes. Give them a chance

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

37 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I don't get it. Do people who post here arrived yesterday?

Russians were always a big group in Thailand. Pattaya was always full of Russians, with their real estate agencies, group tours all written in Russians. 

It makes little sense that they are here because of war, but for sure some are.

Slavic families help each other and if they have a family living in uk, us, aus or Canada they will help sponsor them to escape the war.

That is what my aunt did. She sponsored my visa to Canada during the war in Yugoslavia. Never even once it occured to me I should take a holiday in Thailand or Greece.

You people are truly clueless.

I think it is the 3 month free visa now 2 months more, without having to show any funds that has fueled resentment against them. While it's not as easy for the rest of the Tourists. They should have been screened a lot more at the beginning to see if they had sufficient funds for a 3 month tourist stay, that may have kept the illegal workers out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think it is the 3 month free visa now 2 months more, without having to show any funds that has fueled resentment against them. While it's not as easy for the rest of the Tourists. They should have been screened a lot more at the beginning to see if they had sufficient funds for a 3 month tourist stay, that may have kept the illegal workers out. 

Don't think that matters, judging by the posts and replies on AN.   Simply being from RU is enough to resent them it appears.   MSM says they are evil, and that's enough reason it seems for most people here on AN.

Why would anyone care what other countries are required (or even know) to enter TH.  How about all the countries that can't use visa exempt, do the vilify the rest of those that can.

Or those damn Yanks, and their DTA, and TH not taxing their retirement funds, don't you just hate them Yanks for that.   Or those countries that still issue 'income statement', that just annoys me to no end, and I hate them all.

They are from RU & evil ... that's reason enough.

UNPLUG & WAKE UP PEOPLE

• Sad 2

I think some Russian and Ukrainian 'trouble' has arrived in amongst the majority of the tourist families.  Tourist families are the majority, but there are many buying properties and starting businesses, and that is not what tourists do.  A large number of Ukrainians in the East had a Russian Passport before the 'invasion', and a lot more have been issued to them since the 'liberation'.   

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I think it is the 3 month free visa now 2 months more, without having to show any funds that has fueled resentment against them.

I'm gutted for sure. Not fair ! :1zgarz5:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I think some Russian and Ukrainian 'trouble' has arrived in amongst the majority of the tourist families.  Tourist families are the majority, but there are many buying properties and starting businesses, and that is not what tourists do.  A large number of Ukrainians in the East had a Russian Passport before the 'invasion', and a lot more have been issued to them since the 'liberation'.   

And you know this ... how ?

Maybe buying condos, like every other nationality is legally allowed to.   Maybe for investment and or a holiday home ... like every other nationality that is allowed to.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 2

On 4/25/2024 at 8:12 AM, TheFatOne said:

How to you feel about the Russian exodus to Thailand? For the sake of the topic, please don't amalgamate Russians and their gov. Why do you think they are doing it and would you do the same if you were in their shoes?

And if you're Russian of course feel free to share your personal reasons and experience.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts 👍

As long as they behave nice – and that goes for all nationalities – I don't mind which country the originates from...:smile:

Edited by khunPer
  • Agree 1

I don't know how many Russians are fleeing. However, it does make sense to stay away from a situation where they could be scooped up, and sent to a meat grinder with inadequate equipment and training. I'd be doing the same.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like any nationality they are not a monolith. 

Those in Thailand represent a range.

Don't be too quick to make assumptions. 

I prefer the draft dodger types but even with them it doesn't necessarily mean they have a problem with Putin's genocidal intentions towards Ukraine.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't go anywhere that has large concentrations of them anymore. I'd prefer to avoid even individual Russians. Of course I can not know everyone's view but too many are at least passive supporters of the war and Russian imperialism.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1