NO amount of alcohol is safe! WHO experts warn

Social Media

8 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

100%. We are all selective in our puritanism. I was asking how bad the smoke season would be in Chiang Mai and if I should relocate to Hua Him for a couple of months.

Said a long timer: "Uh, about that spliff you're smoking right now?".

I can assure you, there is alot more pollution year around living in Hua Hin, but some part of the year, it might be better than Chiang Mai. Chiang Rai is even better year around because of the landscape there compare to Chiang Mai. 

• Thanks 1

bars are a capitalist invention.

it's a hell of a lot of work to run a restaurant.

if you run a bar, all you need to do is pour some drinks.

and since it's highly addictive and people need a place to hang out and socialize, they'll sit there for hours drinking.

incredibly easy money.

it's a capitalist's wet dream to run a bar.

they have even created a personality cult of famous bartenders on Netflix to make the whole drinking scene look cool to kids.

and to get people into bars wasting money.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

and since it's highly addictive and people need a place to hang out and socialize, they'll sit there for hours drinking.

incredibly easy money.

they have even created a personality cult of famous bartenders on Netflix to make the whole drinking scene look cool to kids.

Only monopoly or strict regulated marked is a wet dream for some. Capitalism worst enemy is open non regulated marked, but thats not often mentioned. 

What does it take to open a bar in thailand? How many make good money on their bar? Thailand is a good example of a open non regulated dysfunctional marked open for everybody. 

Definition 

an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit. 

21 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

it's because we've become so shallow that we cannot socialize without alcohol.

you nailed it.

1-3 drinks can give good conversations and bring more creativity as well open minded speach, but from there and out, no comment

1 minute ago, Hummin said:

1-3 drinks can give good conversations and bring more creativity as well open minded speach, but from there and out, no comment

same argument for drugs.

drugs make people more creative. thats why many artists use drugs.

not sure if its true.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

same argument for drugs.

drugs make people more creative. thats why many artists use drugs.

not sure if its true.

I always thought Pink Floyd was the greatest band ever and for I believed they all was on drugs, but I was wrong. 

The common for artists, they have a different personality, often artistic and also in many cases are mental challenged. 

What would Pink Floyd had been without Syd Barret? David Bowie admitted drugs was a fallback for his creativity, and many more.

6 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Translation: If you say you don't drink much, that is iron-clad proof that YOU DO!!!!!!!

My sister goes by similar logic. Many victims of sexual abuse have repressed memories about it. She personally doesn't recall being sexually abused at all.

That's iron-clad proof that SHE WAS!!!!!!!!

not sure what you are trying to say - perhaps you should discuss it with your sister.

However the OP is

"NO amount of alcohol is safe! WHO experts warn"

the point is that society as whole is in denial when it comes to the effects of any alcohol consumption - it sounds like you are an example of this?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

No, alcohol makes you THINK that....in reality it lowers inhibitions and reduces reaction times along with various other physiological effects and reduces cognitive ability

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kwilco said:

No, alcohol makes you THINK that....in reality it lowers inhibitions and reduces reaction times along with various other physiological effects and reduces cognitive ability

Im sure we can trow links at each other, but Im not up for discussion about this. Personal experience and I believe it can be so. We talking about 1-3 units, and keeping in mind people have different tolerance limit. Therefor 1 can be enough for one, and another still benefits 3 units.

Alcohol Benefits the Creative Process

Being moderat

The answer has to do with alcohol's effect on working memory: the brainpower that helps us keep what we want in mind and what we don't want out. Research has shown that alcohol tends to reduce people's ability to focus on some things and ignore others, which also happens to benefit creative problem solving.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/choke/201204/alcohol-benefits-the-creative-process

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

but Im not up for discussion about this. Personal experience and I believe it can be so.

QED - This is a response clouded by dependence on alcohol. - only a few "units"

you area "one quote wonder" and your references are personal and insufficient to be valid - basically a load of "Bellocks"

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

not sure what you are trying to say

Man, this in English-level passive aggression: Not sher wot yer goin' on about, moyt.

Most people enjoy a drink or two without a death wish or a problem. Your's is an extreme position.

I never met a brit Mormon, so this is a great day for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Most people enjoy a drink or two without a death wish or a problem.

you're defending the indefensible with a bunch of ad hominems. But the quote clearly shows that many people are unaware of the dangers of even a small amount of alcohol. The lifestyle is so ingrained they can't see out of the box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I lived in rural England for 8 years, and while many disdain the lovable brit character known as the pub bore, I always had some time for them.

There was a guy in my dank, chav-dive who would go on about how you need the "propah" mop for each clean up job. Possibly a relation of yours?

You are a pub bore without the pub. Color me awed.

More, please more.

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I lived in rural England for 8 years, and while many disdain the lovable brit character known as the pub bore, I always had some time for them.

There was a guy in my dank, chav-dive who would go on about how you need the "propah" mop for each clean up job. Possibly a relation of yours?

You are a pub bore without the pub. Color me awed.

More, please more.

• Haha 1

On the other hand, Mormonism is one of the few venue's where a guy who's a 4 can get with a (white) woman who's an 8.

So live your dream, dullsville Naysayer!

If I didn't like a drink now and again, I would have never met the mop-guy -who was 100% right about the need for multiple mops in a Weatherspoon's franchise.

What is your crazy-quilt world offering me that's even in that ballpark?

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

incredibly easy money.

Keep saving the frogs for the legs 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

QED - This is a response clouded by dependence on alcohol. - only a few "units"

you area "one quote wonder" and your references are personal and insufficient to be valid - basically a load of "Bellocks"

I also provided a link ????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Lack of comprehension and repeating yourself are symptoms of alcohol damage.

This is a human monster who thinks that a guy who has mop out a Weatherspoon's Pub on a Saturday night shouldn't have a pint afterwards.

Even Trump and Hitler would disagree. Tea totalers both, BTW.

Can we at least get some agreement on the range of mops-issue? 

23 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It is a long term symptom of both society and alcohol drinkers that they cant envisage life without alcohol, largely because the drug prevents you from thinking outside the box - it also reduces your intellectual capacity.

In fact most of the world doesn't drink.

i notice that many "drinkers" when confronted with someone who doesn't drink resort to a chain of cliches.

"go on! Just one won't do any harm!"

"Just to be sociable"

"You used to be such fun"

"I bet you have had one at some point"

All these are trying to cope with the realisation that they are drinking on their own or have gone down a line they can't get out of...

then they just get more abusive

"You just think you're better"'

"Billy no mates"

Then they realise the person is 10 years older than they thought and realise how drinking has ruined their health.

The thing is everyone else can see this but the "drinker" - has a brain too addled to work it out

Im quite sober person, but, well, enough for today

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

It is a long term symptom of both society and alcohol drinkers that they cant envisage life without alcohol,

This is hilariously dishonest and huffily repeating it over and over again like some kind of (possibly Mormon) incantation doesn't make it any less so.

Whenever a pedant intones ponderously about "society" to make their spurious and self-serving point, you know you're dealing with someone who's claiming a macro-view that they thought up in the shower. It's vacuous moral posturing

Other people can certainly "envision" a life without alcohol. However, they very reasonably disagree with you. .

That's not down to a failure of their intelligence or an inclination to end up like the drunk in A Rake's Progress. Some people, for example, do end up a degenerate gamblers, but the vast majority just like to buy a lotto ticket once in a while.

People simply use the eyes that God gave them, look around, and see people enjoying a glass of chianti with their pizza and not falling into a swirling vortex of mental ruin, sudden death, or hobo lifestyle.  Only you -you alone in the universe- think this. 

Next up: a non-pub pub bore fearlessly confronts someone who's eating an ice cream cone:

"You do real-uh-ize that you're spiking you're blood sugar, don't you? What's wrong with you? What's wrong with Society? What kind of death-dealing conspiracy is 7/11 perpetrating? Why won't anyone listen to me?".

• Like 1