Same day border bounce?

Afternoon All.

I'm looking to do a border bounce at Chiang Khong To Huay Xai (Laos).

I've read in a couple of places that same day bouncing isn't an option but I can't find much that's conclusive/recent.

Could anyone advise on that please? Is it necessary to spend a night out of Thailand or not?

(My history: Non-O volunteer visa in OLD passport during covid. Left Thailand for 5 months last year. Returned with new passport and have since had two visa exempt air arrivals with 30 day extensions)

(This post was rejected on the Thai Visa FB group with the advice that I should only use a border run service. However I would prefer not to spend all day sat in a minivan if at all possible)

11 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Just an fyi, with your fresh passport you could obtain a tourist visa in the Laos consulates. (Save the 2 land border hops for later)

I assume you flew into BKK twice on visa exemption. Risky I would of thought with your history. Did you get any hassle?

No hassle at all. No questions asked.

I had been away for 5 months though, prior to returning in September.

Cheers for the visa heads up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrmagyar said:

No hassle at all. No questions asked.

I had been away for 5 months though, prior to returning in September.

Cheers for the visa heads up.

How long were you out of Thailand for your two visa exempt air arrivals?

In terms of same day bouncing, no problem at all at Vientiane but I don't know about the border crossing you mentioned.

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

How long were you out of Thailand for your two visa exempt air arrivals?

In terms of same day bouncing, no problem at all at Vientiane but I don't know about the border crossing you mentioned.

I was in Thailand for over 2 years on Tourist Visa -> Exempt -> Covid Extensions -> Volunteer -> Covid Extension until March 2022. Then left for 5 months. Back in Sept 2022.

Flying to Vientiane looks a better bet, then stop the night and overland back to Udon Thani the next day. I was hoping to go up to Chiang Mai and make my own way to Chiang Khong but it's going to end up a massive project.

29 minutes ago, mrmagyar said:

I was in Thailand for over 2 years on Tourist Visa -> Exempt -> Covid Extensions -> Volunteer -> Covid Extension until March 2022. Then left for 5 months. Back in Sept 2022.

Flying to Vientiane looks a better bet, then stop the night and overland back to Udon Thani the next day. I was hoping to go up to Chiang Mai and make my own way to Chiang Khong but it's going to end up a massive project.

Thanks. I was actually asking you about the two visa exempt entries you've done since September 2022. Did you fly out and fly back in the same day or did you spend a few days or a few weeks outside of Thailand?

If you're planning to go from Vientiane to Udon then you may want to consider taking the bus:

The only problem is you then have to get a taxi from Udon bus station to the airport, which can be overpriced but it's still my preferred way of doing it.

4 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Thanks. I was actually asking you about the two visa exempt entries you've done since September 2022. Did you fly out and fly back in the same day or did you spend a few days or a few weeks outside of Thailand?

If you're planning to go from Vientiane to Udon then you may want to consider taking the bus:

The only problem is you then have to get a taxi from Udon bus station to the airport, which can be overpriced but it's still my preferred way of doing it.

Ah. I flew out to Vietnam for 2 nights.

Wasn't expecting any issues. Didn't get any.

• 3 months later...
On 1/6/2023 at 7:33 PM, edwardandtubs said:

Hello! Sorry to hijack this conversation, but this topic is right up the alley of the info we can't seem to find anywhere else, so I thought I'd give it a try. Why exactly do you recommend taking the bus back into Thailand? Is it because flying back in to get another 30 day stamp at Bangkok is risky? This is what we have heard on FB, but we already bought our tickets ????

2 hours ago, NewishAsianTraveller said:

Hello! Sorry to hijack this conversation, but this topic is right up the alley of the info we can't seem to find anywhere else, so I thought I'd give it a try. Why exactly do you recommend taking the bus back into Thailand? Is it because flying back in to get another 30 day stamp at Bangkok is risky? This is what we have heard on FB, but we already bought our tickets ????

For long stay tourists, flying in and asking for a visa exemption is risky. It depends mainly on your prior immigration history and the individual immigration official. Unless in Thailand already for over three months, it is extremely unlikely that you will encounter any problem.