Something new at the bank

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

What surprises me the most is that people still go to the bank in person to pay the rent. Surely that's a waste of time no matter which form of ID they require.

I haven't been to the bank since May, when I had to get a new ATM card. Passport required as per usual, passbook required as per usual, way too much time wasted as per usual. I keep these visits to an absolute minimum. 

Clearly the OP has been in Thailand so long that he has taken on Thai characteristics, i.e no concept of the value of time ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, moogradod said:

No. This was about a THB-THB transaction of a Thai citizen between two of her own Thai accounts, only different banks involved. So no IRS, FBI and Euro. I was only surprized.

The main thing here is that a Thai DL cannot be used for identification anymore. I have done that for years without any problem.

Ever heard of online banking, get a mobile app, no need to go to the bank all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, moogradod said:

No. This was about a THB-THB transaction of a Thai citizen between two of her own Thai accounts, only different banks involved. So no IRS, FBI and Euro. I was only surprized.

The main thing here is that a Thai DL cannot be used for identification anymore. I have done that for years without any problem.

This is the implementation of AMLO, anti-money laundering laws, it's been going on for a while but not all expats have encountered it. When I first reported this many months ago, folks here said I was nuts and that banks didn't do that.....ha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Generally only go into the bank 1 time a year for a letter for immigration. Pink ID is all thats needed for anything.Everything done onkine or App.

Actually, a pink card number should do the trick since that replaces the passport number on the account.

Edited by nigelforbes

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

With all this corruption , drug dealing here , how does all this black money get moved around,

I don't think they have to show ID, all these money laundering laws ,really only affect the

majority moving a few 1000 of whatever currency around.

regards worgeordie

Cash is king? In very large black bags?