6-month condo rental

underthesky

What's best way to rent for a condo for 6 months? Airbnb is giving me options, but I wonder if it would be better doing a direct rent. I've checked some of the property websites and a lot of the prices look a chunk cheaper. But having inquired about a few condos, I've been told 'no' to such a short contract. Any tips? Nonthaburi area/near MRT purple line would be my preferred place.

I just rented a 6 month place in Nimman area, Chiang Mai. I used a real estate agent. Like me, you want to rent in a particularly western-friendly area.

It's easier to find a good agent in person, rather than from afar. Since competition is a little fierce now, know what you want, establish a relationship with an agent, and keep in touch. I offered my agent a reward to find me my place.

I'm told that in general, demand at the moment is such that there is less inclination to rent for less than a year. But it is doable. I have also heard of people approaching AirBNB owners directly for a longer term discount.

• Like 1

Having just gone through a similar experience. Trying to find a place, but not wanting a year contract + 2 months rent deposit + month it advance. 

I found the best way is to book service apartment rooms on Agoda (think what they're categorised under on Agoda). Just filter for these type of rooms, book for one night. If you like the place you can ask about long term stay. These type of accommodations are generally looking for long term stays anyway. I tried about 4 different ones, until I found the one I wanted. 

They did a 1 month, 3 month contract price, 6 months and a 12 month. It was just a month rent deposit they didn't want 2 months.  3 months was like 1.5k cheaper pm than 1 month. 6 months was 2k cheaper and a year like 2.5k cheaper per month. 

Just keep searching, you will find one I remember I saw some on Agoda that sort of area when I was looking for a place. I guess same applys to Airbnb just rent one night if you like it then talk to seller about price. Airbnb hosts doesn't really offer decent prices online for long term stays. So better to contact them directly as they can save a lot of money from Airbnb fees if you book direct through the owner. 

• Like 1