Collapse in support for leaving EU in member states since Brexit, new data shows

Scott

Flag of Europe - Wikipedia

There has been a stark drop in support for leaving the European Union in member states across the continent in the aftermath of the Brexit vote in the United Kingdom, new data shows.

In a European Social Survey, respondents were asked how they would vote in a hypothetical referendum on whether their country should remain in the EU, first in 2016-2017 and again in 2020-2022.

Support for leaving the EU fell in every member state for which results are available across that time period, led by a drop of 11.8 percentage points in Finland, 10 percentage points in Slovenia, 8.8 in Austria, and 8.6 in Portugal.

https://www.irishtimes.com/world/europe/2023/01/10/collapse-in-support-for-leaving-eu-in-member-states-since-brexit/

The Irish Times Logo Vector (.SVG + .PNG)

12 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

The EU used every trick they have to make Britain hurt for leaving , to show others what will happen , our uk government was brought by the EU , they allowed it to happen , 

Apart from canceling brexit or continuing in some sort of special affiliation with the EU, what could the British government have done to ease the pain of brexit?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

When UK first announced the idea of leaving the EU a few countries expressed they wanted to as well.  Only one I can think of right now is Netherlands.  Haven't heard much about that in a few years.

Like almost all member states support for the EU is increasing in The Netherlands.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2023/01/support-grows-in-the-netherlands-for-eu-membership/

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Apart from canceling brexit or continuing in some sort of special affiliation with the EU, what could the British government have done to ease the pain of brexit?

Not pay the devorce settlement not accept their economic refugees , increase tariffs on eu goods , not allow and pay for borders in Northern Ireland or the sea, treat the eu same as they treat us

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RayC said:

Of course, all the EU countries - especially those Scandinavian ones. - are corrupt. 

Nothing untoward ever happens in the Palace of Westminster: Expenses scandal? Owen Paterson? Just administrative oversights; nothing to see there.

I am sure you know the difference between the EU (a political union) and the member states. The corruption scandal is engulfing the EU.

But if you want to look at corruption in member states, you could start with the likes of Hungary.

Speaking of being hungry, the citizens of the EU are really up against it while Vice Presidents of the EU have vast swathes of cash hidden in suitcases. 

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2023/01/12/nearly-half-of-europeans-say-their-standards-of-living-have-already-declined-as-crises-mou

image.png.487977e1ebb8685c6e714ccf6ffc9ca6.png

51 minutes ago, RayC said:

Of course, all the EU countries - especially those Scandinavian ones. - are corrupt. 

Nothing untoward ever happens in the Palace of Westminster: Expenses scandal? Owen Paterson? Just administrative oversights; nothing to see there.

Corruption was the cause of Brexit. The moneyed elite promoted the pull out because the EU was going to start digging into offshore bank accounts.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I am sure you know the difference between the EU (a political union) and the member states. The corruption scandal is engulfing the EU.

But if you want to look at corruption in member states, you could start with the likes of Hungary.

Speaking of being hungry, the citizens of the EU are really up against it while Vice Presidents of the EU have vast swathes of cash hidden in suitcases. 

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2023/01/12/nearly-half-of-europeans-say-their-standards-of-living-have-already-declined-as-crises-mou

And I'm sure you know that the EU budget is a small fraction of European GDP. And that the corruption in question would carry very little, if any, economic import for the EU.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And I'm sure you know that the EU budget is a small fraction of European GDP. And that the corruption in question would carry very little, if any, economic import for the EU.

Not sure why they'd want to import corruption? Surely they have enough already...

https://www.ft.com/content/203bbd3e-174a-456e-a187-8b4746010129

image.png.4a3a9242bd494a39d839278e5fb08f78.png

2 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not sure why they'd want to import corruption? Surely they have enough already...

https://www.ft.com/content/203bbd3e-174a-456e-a187-8b4746010129

image.png.4a3a9242bd494a39d839278e5fb08f78.png

I'm going to be charitable and assume you know what is meant by "import" in the context of my comment and just chose to misuse it. And, once again, you ignore what effect this kind of corruption has on the EU economy and how tiny it is by comparison.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I'm going to be charitable and assume you know what is meant by "import" in the context of my comment and just chose to misuse it. And, once again, you ignore what effect this kind of corruption has on the EU economy and how tiny it is by comparison.

Are you sure you didn't mean "impact"? That would have made a lot more sense in the context... 

A little bit of corruption is about as acceptable to me as a little bit of racism. The economic "impact" of the corruption is not the issue here.

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Are you sure you didn't mean "impact"? That would have made a lot more sense in the context... 

A little bit of corruption is about as acceptable to me as a little bit of racism. The economic "impact" of the corruption is not the issue here.

No, I meant "import" as used to mean "significance". Look it up.

Well, if a little bit of corruption is about as acceptable to you as a little bit of racism, I think you're pretty much out of luck in finding any government to be legitimate. Those of us who take a more rational view of the way the world works would differ from you in that regard.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I am sure you know the difference between the EU (a political union) and the member states.

I do

The corruption scandal is engulfing the EU.

There is undoubtedly a corruption scandal in the EU involving some MEPs at the moment. The scale of it remains to be seen.

In hindsight, allowing Hungary - under the leadership of Orban - into the EU looks increasingly like a mistake. 

Unfortunately, as there is no mechanism for ejecting member states who flout the 'Copenhagen criteria', the EU are effectively stuck with them unless they decide to leave themselves. All the EU can do - and is doing - is to place appropriate sanctions on Hungary.

And that's a cause for celebration? Each to their own I suppose.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Really" It's "Vice Presidents" who have money in suitcases? As far as I'm aware, only one vice President has been implicated. But if you can link to some decent source that shows there is more than one currently implicated, please do share it with us.

It should also be noted that there are 14 vice-Presidents in the EU, and most of them, including the one imiplicated, exercise very little power.

Edited by placeholder

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

And the evidence you have produced about the concerns of citizens of the EU over the consequences of the EU war, actually proves the opposite of what you think they do. Despite the fact that there have been negative consequences for them, their approval of membership in the EU has actually risen. 

Edited by placeholder

37 minutes ago, placeholder said:

No, I meant "import" as used to mean "significance". Look it up.

Well, if a little bit of corruption is about as acceptable to you as a little bit of racism, I think you're pretty much out of luck in finding any government to be legitimate. Those of us who take a more rational view of the way the world works would differ from you in that regard.

Personally I find the EU's corruption to be disgraceful, and it is one of many reasons I am so glad that we won the Brexit referendum and left that failing, corrupt, federalist project. If I managed to get out of jail, I wouldn't really care that those left behind had no vision or motivation to do the same. If they're happy with it, more fool them. 

Edited by Rimmer
off topic comment removed

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I guess your acceptance of corruption explains your continued support of Biden/Pelosi etc. It's strange that you don't apply the same leniency to those who don't follow your political ideology.

Personally I find the EU's corruption to be disgraceful

In order to be consistent, I assume that you are just as outraged by the corruption in the UK parliament?

• Like 2