Work Permits for Laos Citizens

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

How much do Laos citizens who work here pay to have a work permit and how often do they have to go to immigration to renew them & what's the cost of this at immigration?

The employer should pay for it and it’s done at the department of employment, not at immigration 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hummin said:

It is you as an employer who provide necessary documents and pay for their work permit! 

Or Im wrong?

11 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The employer should pay for it and it’s done at the department of employment, not at immigration 

What about for a Laos citizen who needs to get a work permit (via a Thai citizen) to run a business for themselves so they don't get in trouble with the police?

I was told by a Laos girl she needs to pay 25k baht per year to get a work permit and every 3 months needs to go to immigration. Does this sound correct?

Edited by bbi1

Laos, Cambodian &  Burmese can apply for a Migrant Non L-A visa>
they need an employer( who submits all the paperwork) and the cost via an agent,  (one i use in Phuket)  is 10,200 baht/year includes WP and Health card same as a thai.
I just had this done for my Khmer GF in Phuket
FYI: you can convert in Thailand from a tourist visa

needs do 90 day reports same as everyone on a Non o or B visa

Pre covid it was 10,200 for 2 years

33 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What about for a Laos citizen who needs to get a work permit (via a Thai citizen) to run a business for themselves so they don't get in trouble with the police?

What do you mean by "via a Thai citizen"?

The only way to get a work permit is by working at a registered company, same as for any other foreigners.

If they want to run their own business, they have to set up a company.

33 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I was told by a Laos girl she needs to pay 25k baht per year to get a work permit and every 3 months needs to go to immigration. Does this sound correct?

Correct as in what?

According to the law? No

That it happens? Yes, definitely happens

A work permit for one year costs 3000 baht.

The visit to immigration every 3 months is probably just the 90 day report, afaik an initial LA visa is for 2 years, and then probably yearly extensions, or maybe an extension every two years.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

The only way to get a work permit is by working at a registered company, same as for any other foreigners.

FriendlyFarang 

Have u ever gotten someone a L-A visa?  I have
did u even bother to read my post above? 

Not true< an induvial ( thai or Farang) can "hire" a migrant to work as a maid, nanny, gardener<
they must first obtain a "quota" from the labor dept 
than submit paperwork to get the NON L-A visa

one reason why most use agents as they have the expertise. 

My agent fees:
L-A visa  3,700
WP  6,500

Edited by zzzzz

14 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Laos, Cambodian &  Burmese can apply for a Migrant Non L-A visa>
they need an employer( who submits all the paperwork) and the cost via an agent,  (one i use in Phuket)  is 10,200 baht/year includes WP and Health card same as a thai.

Being Laosian, Cambodian or Burmese is better than a Westerner. They can stay in Thailand for cheap.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Being Laosian, Cambodian or Burmese is better than a Westerner. They can stay in Thailand for cheap.

I'm not sure it's "better", as they're prone to being exploited as cheap labor and that's basically the whole idea of this legal framework for migrant workers.

I think I prefer staying in Thailand as a Westerner, it feels more like a holiday than a labor camp!

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1