urologist recommendation chaing mai

SammyJ

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I had exactly the same 3 years back (6 weeks with catheter + doxazocin for 2 years). Was falsely diagnosed with enlarged prostate. Fixed it myself 2 years later with antibiotics as it appeared to be caused by a uti they didn't detect. Also in Chiang Mai. 

Over 2 years you must have had several Urinalyses done.

Did they show that something was wrong or were they all  showing  normal ranges?

Edited by JimmyJ

4 hours ago, jippytum said:

Thanks for all the replies .

In a need of a medical opinion on how to proceed i went to Dr Morgan clinic unfortunately although the clinic opens 8.am the doctor was not due until 10.30 .I crossed the busy road and tried the Geriatric hospital no luck no urologist on duty today. In considerable discomfort i went back to the Ram . Quickly admitted to emergency and the catheter was replaced .New appointment 23rd.Now back in my room de stressed  and pain free for now .What awaits i wonder.

I'm glad to hear you're OK. I would strongly recommend you find another urologist.

47 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Exercise is very important. Walking's great as are squats, lots of them. And avoid sitting for long periods, get up and move around. Another important exercise is the Kegel, the more the merrier. I do up to 60 a day in groups of 10 to 12. 

You think someone wearing a catheter and bag should do those exercises?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

The Thai doctors aren't all that good, the technicians are not really competent either.

So far two major Chiang Mai hospitals have made the following serious mistakes in the past 10 years.

1. Said wife wasn't pregnant, she was, excuse they entered her test results into another patients record.

2. I needed a gall bladder removal or I would die, I didn't and 10 years later have no gall bladder problems.

3. My 5yo son (from wife that wasn't pregnant) needed an emergency appendectomy, and prepped him for surgery, I stopped them operating, it was constipation.

4. I needed a prostate operation (same symptoms as you), I cured it with antibiotics.

So I'll repeat my question, what medications have they given you?

A catheter won't cure anything, but it will stop renal failure, which happens if you can't wee for around 36hrs.

If they suspect BPH, which is what the lazy Thai doctors usually assume,

Normal procedure is catheter for 4-6 weeks if patient passes more than 400ml of urine after first insertion.

With Doxazosin 4mg/day (or similar drug) forever.

I'd also be interested to know why they took the catheter out after a week, without any evidence they had fixed the problem, and why they thought the problem had gone away? This isn't normal procedure for such a life threatening condition.

Would also point out a person that can't urinate normally gets a catheter inserted in the emergency room immediately on arrival at a hospital, and the tests done after, there's absolutely no reason to keep you in hospital for 2 days. You do understand renal failure happens quite soon after you stop urinating?

(cost of catheter, bag and insertion around 300bht, cost of removal 150bht) 

two days hospital including tests  and medication 23,814.84baht

yesterday catheter removal and medication 2,387 baht

today cost of catheter bag and insertion 1200baht

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You think someone wearing a catheter and bag should do those exercises?

No, definitely not! But hopefully it will not be in forever and as soon as it's removed it's time to get to work. I've avoided ever reaching that stage due to my regime, although I have come close a couple of times in the past.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Wittiwat at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai is the most widely recommended on this forum.

I am currently looking for another for a 2nd opnion on some of my issues, and was hoping to see someone else recommended in this thread, but...not yet.

Go with Wittiwat...................I see him on a regular follow up basis. Speaks excellent English too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

How much do you do to help yourself @jippytum

Exercise is very important/ .... by keeping fit and healthy I've kept medical treatment to a minimum, which amounts to just 4mg of Cazosin (Doxazosin) per day.

Congratulations on your conscious health practices,  and results !

Without questioning your experience, I will say there is a danger in generalizing from what you believe/experience works for you to others with different genes, family histories, metabolism, life histories, and current medical problems.

What the original poster is dealing with is probably very complex.

I wish I could tell you the name of a local doctor(s) who was up to date on possible drug interactions with other drugs, and common food and drink ingredients, let alone took a comprehensive medical history [1] !

Hopefully, the internet can help us get the "bigger picture."

cheers, ~o:37;

[1] good luck getting that in the US medical care system ... unless you pay cash, and are wealthy. I hear Canada is a much better system.

• Thanks 1

My issue is a bit different:

- 78 years old located Chiang Mai

- For several years more frequent passing of urine, incl night events

- But last 2 days when i get the first feeling of need to urinate it immediately starts running out and I can't stop it

- Any advice, thanks.  

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

My issue is a bit different:

- 78 years old located Chiang Mai

- For several years more frequent passing of urine, incl night events

- But last 2 days when i get the first feeling of need to urinate it immediately starts running out and I can't stop it

- Any advice, thanks.  

If you haven't yet, get a Urinalysis done - could be a UTI.

(Can get Urinalysis done at CM Mediclinic for 300 THB).

Edited by JimmyJ

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The Thai doctors aren't all that good, the technicians are not really competent either.

So far two major Chiang Mai hospitals have made the following serious mistakes in the past 10 years.

1. Said wife wasn't pregnant, she was, excuse they entered her test results into another patients record.

2. I needed a gall bladder removal or I would die, I didn't and 10 years later have no gall bladder problems.

3. My 5yo son (from wife that wasn't pregnant) needed an emergency appendectomy, and prepped him for surgery, I stopped them operating, it was constipation.

4. I needed a prostate operation (same symptoms as you), I cured it with antibiotics.

So I'll repeat my question, what medications have they given you?

A catheter won't cure anything, but it will stop renal failure, which happens if you can't wee for around 36hrs.

If they suspect BPH, which is what the lazy Thai doctors usually assume,

Normal procedure is catheter for 4-6 weeks if patient passes more than 400ml of urine after first insertion.

With Doxazosin 4mg/day (or similar drug) forever.

I'd also be interested to know why they took the catheter out after a week, without any evidence they had fixed the problem, and why they thought the problem had gone away? This isn't normal procedure for such a life threatening condition.

Would also point out a person that can't urinate normally gets a catheter inserted in the emergency room immediately on arrival at a hospital, and the tests done after, there's absolutely no reason to keep you in hospital for 2 days. You do understand renal failure happens quite soon after you stop urinating?

(cost of catheter, bag and insertion around 300bht, cost of removal 150bht) 

Horrifying incidents.

Thank you for posting them.

"So I'll repeat my question, what medications have they given you?"

You have confused me with the OP.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

If you haven't yet, get a Urinalysis done - could be a UTI.

(Can get Urinalysis done at CM Mediclinic for 300 B).

I"ll go tomorrow and get the Urinalysis done at Mediclinic.

Another factor, I've had a very heavy head cold and for last 4 days taking TIFFY 3 times a day.

Now have a very dry mouth, could that connect to the unine running out with no warning?

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I"ll go tomorrow and get the Urinalysis done at Mediclinic.

Another factor, I've had a very heavy head cold and for last 4 days taking TIFFY 3 times a day.

Now have a very dry mouth, could that connect to the unine running out with no warning?

CM Mediclinic will give results by the next day or sooner.

"Now have a very dry mouth, could that connect to the unine running out with no warning?"

Nothing indicating that in the listed side effects:

https://www.ndrugs.com/?s=tiffy&t=side effects

14 hours ago, jippytum said:

two days hospital including tests  and medication 23,814.84baht

yesterday catheter removal and medication 2,387 baht

today cost of catheter bag and insertion 1200baht

BritManToo - "cost of catheter, bag and insertion around 300bht, cost of removal 150bht"

Government hospital prices?

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

...I've kept medical treatment to a minimum, which amounts to just 4mg of Cazosin (Doxazosin) per day.

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

What side effects?

3 years plus and none so far.

Sorry @JimmyJ I was a bit hasty with my answer this morning. (note to self, wake up properly before answering)

Now I recall I did have edema (swollen legs and ankles) and some weight gain in the early days. The two are a known side affects and were no doubt  associated.

I've overcome both these conditions with my exercise regime and in fact I'm now 15kgs lighter than I was 3 years ago.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, orang37 said:

Congratulations on your conscious health practices,  and results !

Without questioning your experience, I will say there is a danger in generalizing from what you believe/experience works for you to others with different genes, family histories, metabolism, life histories, and current medical problems.

What the original poster is dealing with is probably very complex.

I wish I could tell you the name of a local doctor(s) who was up to date on possible drug interactions with other drugs, and common food and drink ingredients, let alone took a comprehensive medical history [1] !

Hopefully, the internet can help us get the "bigger picture."

cheers, ~o:37;

[1] good luck getting that in the US medical care system ... unless you pay cash, and are wealthy. I hear Canada is a much better system.

'When the people are even mildly enlightened, oppression of the mind and body will disappear'. 

So who do you suppose wrote that? It was none other than Thomas Jefferson. Now we all know who he was, the author of the American Declaration of Independence, but he also wrote, amongst many other things, a book that advocated Self-reliance Regarding Matters of Healthcare, another form of independence.

Yes I agree with you. @orang37 doctors here and indeed in many parts of the world have no interest in unconventional methods if treating this or many other ailments that are, in affect lifestyle issues rather than medical conditions. It seems that a urologist's interest lies in getting patients hooked on medication and ultimately into their surgery to do unspeakable things to their private parts.

I walked away from that around 4 years ago. My regime is the result of many hours of study, both through books and articles on the internet, but the best personal advice I received was not from a medical professional but for a Qigong teacher.

I have gone from having to visit the bathroom every 90 minutes throughout the night down to just one visit and it all comes about through adjustments to my lifestyle. I am now considering reducing, or even eliminating my medication altogether.

If only folks would wake up and take note of the information that's freely available around them, we would read far fewer distressing stories such as the one the O/P @jippytum has shared with us.

If anyone out there is interested in the Qigong aspect that I mentioned go visit this website but don't delay, it will only be up for another 12 days.

• Love It 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:00 PM, BritManToo said:

Sadly my experience as well

The urologist I had that wanted to do surgery immediately was supposedly the best & taught as well as worked the main CM hospitals

7 years later no problems as I didnt heed his advice.

The other one at the big CM private hospital that sounds like Bangkok also had two faulty reports & tried for more $$$ tests which I declined

It is rather scary once you realize that even in the medical profession of Thailand it is often just about $$$ first

People always go on about how cheap Thailand medical tests & minor procedures are but never mention how expensive

wrong diagnosis can be (if not caught in time)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BB1955 said:

I see Dr Supon currently , excellent doctor .he is a little quiet and you have to ask a lot but as a doctor he knows his stuff  . He came in over New Years and saved my life.....  

Not wanting to be pry, but, if you are comfortable,  can you share more details about what he did for you?  What was involved and at what hospital and related costs?  thanks

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, SammyJ said:

Not wanting to be pry, but, if you are comfortable,  can you share more details about what he did for you?  What was involved and at what hospital and related costs?  thanks

send me private msg 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 4:13 AM, JimmyJ said:

@SammyJ

"I have come commonly across the names of Dr. Wittiwat, Dr Supon and Dr. Phitsanu Mahawong, and others, and have read a variety of reports on them and think they would all be very good doctors to see. "

I am familiar with Wittawat.

Looking for recommendations for other urologists.

"...Dr Supon and Dr. Phitsanu Mahawong, and others, and have read a variety of reports on them...".

Did you find the reports you read on this site or other sources?

Do you still have links for those reports?

Did you visit any urologists and have any report you can share - satisfied or not?

I have seen all these doctors.

I still have urethral issues.

I go to Bumrungrad  now

• Thanks 1