Optimizer for Solar Panel

Are Optimizer for Solar Panels are the money worth? Have got a Quote for my 8kw Solar System which includes the option to install an optimizer for each Panel as my Panels will face in three different directions, but the price is 2.500 THB each. So in total 37.500 THB for 15 panels, will I ever get the Money back?

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^, what's the reasoning behind the multiple directions?

How many MPPT inputs will your proposed inverter have?

Carport Roof is too small to have all Panels installed on one or two sides, so we will go for west, south and east directions. They offered Huawei SUN2000
-10KTL-M1 Inverter and has two MPPT Inputs if I read the Datasheet correct.

7 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Carport Roof is too small to have all Panels installed on one or two sides, so we will go for west, south and east directions. They offered Huawei SUN2000
-10KTL-M1 Inverter and has two MPPT Inputs if I read the Datasheet correct.

Just use the south facing roof and have less panels is the obvious answer.

Isn't Huawei the inverter that only uses ultra expensive battery packs (that aren't available in Thailand)?

Huawei 150,000bht for 5kWhr Vs normal 50,000bht for 10kWhr

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

OK, I'd probably be putting the South facing panels as one string on one MPPT and the other two as two parallel strings on the other MPPT. That would probably give the best bang per buck.

How many panels on each direction are you looking at?

Also, be aware that whilst the Huawei inverters are "battery ready" they use a specific HV battery which are only available from Huawei and are $$$.

@Thaifish has found this to his cost ???? 

I would be looking at inverters that use a standard 48V pack, even if you don't intend going hybrid right now.

6 Panels each in west and east direction and 2 or 3  Panels in south direction, this will use the available space in each direction.

Regards the Huawei Battery I'm aware of as I have read thru all topics of the Solar Forum to gather as much as possible information.

On 1/17/2023 at 4:42 PM, Crossy said:

Also, be aware that whilst the Huawei inverters are "battery ready" they use a specific HV battery which are only available from Huawei and are $$$.

I have been looking at battery costs too... the Huawei LUNA2000 Battery Smart Kit 5 kWh costs around 150,000 baht, and the nRuit Powerport 10 Lifepo4 10kWh battery costs around 73,000 baht, so twice the capacity for half the price.

On 1/17/2023 at 4:55 PM, UWEB said:

6 Panels each in west and east direction and 2 or 3  Panels in south direction, this will use the available space in each direction.

If you are limited for space on your south facing roof and cannot extend it to add more south facing panels then I guess you are stuck with your existing structure.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have an existing property that is ideally orientated for optimal PV solar panels power production.

But I would certainly be looking at manufacturers other than Huawei if your future plans include going hybrid.

But getting back to your original question... has your consultant produced an energy calculation for you that demonstrates the effectiveness of individual panel optimizers if installed on the east and west facing panels?

This would enable you to determine if the additional investment of 2,500 baht per panel would be worthwhile or not.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Encid said:

I have been looking at battery costs too... the Huawei LUNA2000 Battery Smart Kit 5 kWh costs around 150,000 baht, and the nRuit Powerport 10 Lifepo4 10kWh battery costs around 73,000 baht, so twice the capacity for half the price.

If you are limited for space on your south facing roof and cannot extend it to add more south facing panels then I guess you are stuck with your existing structure.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have an existing property that is ideally orientated for optimal PV solar panels power production.

But I would certainly be looking at manufacturers other than Huawei if your future plans include going hybrid.

But getting back to your original question... has your consultant produced an energy calculation for you that demonstrates the effectiveness of individual panel optimizers if installed on the east and west facing panels?

This would enable you to determine if the additional investment of 2,500 baht per panel would be worthwhile or not.

My planed diy 2 x 13kwh will cost 140k

Pink