TICKS on dog

Found hundreds of these ticks on my 5hitzle. Had to shave him, pick them off and there were bloody spots where the tick had been. I find them on his blanket, and on the floor around the room. Gave Titan (dog) a Bravecto tablet which seems to kill the ones on his body, but not the others. Any ideas please.image.thumb.jpeg.1010491b1f58d9448397bd3ac8627540.jpeg

IMG_20230106_101754.jpg

Edited by KannikaP

7 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Oh, you did. Poor thing.

How about a tick bath?

He seems OK but shivers a bit in this 'cold' weather.

Any suggestions as to what to bathe him in please.

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Our Shih Tzu's get regular baths/showers and are groomed to short hair.  They are dogs, living, in the tropics, they will be fine and not at all cold, even if they shiver afterwards.  Just let them dry off in a none aircon room, or outside. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You give him a pill every 3 months!

Buy on lazada. How nany kg your dog?

He is 4.5kg. I gave him a Bravecto bought on Lazada @ Bht 620.

Last time one tablet worked for about 12 months, no ticks.

Now they have returned with a vengeance.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

I didnt see your reply, Bravecto have to be taken every 3 months

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Read my OP, that's what I gave him. I was asking about a tick bath remedy.

Where do you think they are picking up the ticks?  If its your garden, then also treat the garden.  If its a particular walk that you take them on, where at other times there are a lot of soi dogs or monkeys, then find somewhere else to walk. You may also have to treat their bedding, toys, sofas and anywhere else in the house that may harbour ticks. Been there and done that. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Where do you think they are picking up the ticks?  If its your garden, then also treat the garden.  If its a particular walk that you take them on, where at other times there are a lot of soi dogs or monkeys, then find somewhere else to walk. You may also have to treat their bedding, toys, sofas and anywhere else in the house that may harbour ticks. Been there and done that. 

With what would you treat the house and furniture please? 

I am not spending Bht 620 on a Bravecto tablet for my sofa!  555

• Haha 1

AS others have said - you need to treat the house and garden area to kill the tick nymphs.  Any insecticidal/pyrethrin spray will do the job. I bought a product from Big C last month - sorry, don't remember name - but it smelled like vinegar. My FIL used it to spray around their house to get rid of the ticks - and it worked well.

The Bravecto you gave last year will not have 'worked' for 12 months. Ticks are seasonal in Thailand - so are not a problem all of the year. Now is T time!!

Bravecto or Nexgard will kill ticks when they bite your dog - and help protect them from tick borne diseases like Canine Ehrlichiosis (tick Fever) - this can be fatal - so when you see the ticks - treat your dog. Insecticidal washes, containing pyrethrins, will stop most ticks from attaching to your dog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talk to your vet, we brought home a pom 2.5 K which had ticks. The pill we give monthly works well, solved the problem. Sometimes we have to cut pill in 1/2 because of weight requirements. She gets a bath 2x month with dog groomer. 

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Talk to your vet, we brought home a pom 2.5 K which had ticks. The pill we give monthly works well, solved the problem. Sometimes we have to cut pill in 1/2 because of weight requirements. She gets a bath 2x month with dog groomer. 

Best to make an appointment to check for worms and other diseases.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Bravecto is a once every three month pill, and it works very well.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Gave Titan (dog) a Bravecto tablet which seems to kill the ones on his body, but not the others.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Any tick that bites him now will die.  If there are ticks in your home, you're going to have to clean.  If they are in your yard?  Your dog is now a walking tick killing machine.  Give it time.  They won't disappear over night, but they will disappear as they bite and die off.  Also, you'll get another infestation when tick eggs hatch.  They'll bite your dog and die off.  Keep your dog up to date on the meds and your yard and house will stay tick free.

If they are in your home?  Hopefully they don't bite you before they die off.  I have outdoor dogs so I don't have problems with bugs in the home.

If the price of Bravecto puts you off, buy the pill for larger dogs (1000mg Fluralaner) and cut it in half.  Their are naysayers out their (like the company that makes it) that will say "You can't do that!"  Yeah.  You can.  And it works.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry, no. I recall my mother having to give the dogs a flea bath every so often when I was a kid. Then came flea collars.

See if you can find flea bath with pyrethrum.

Pyrethrum is a naturally occurring mixture of chemicals found in certain chrysanthemum flowers.

Found this on shoppee

https://shp.ee/2bid6hs

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've found through experience that Ivermectin is the most efficacious (IMHO) when dealing with ticks, mites, fleas and other parasites on dogs. I administer Ivermectin to my 2 dogs in the form of powder bought from a local pharmacy, every 2 weeks, dissolved in a little milk. As already stated, it doesn't stop ticks getting on the dog, but once they bite the dog, it's game over for the tick. It keeps my dogs are relatively tick-free.

Edit:

Forgot to mention: It's not suitable for certain dogs, such as collies, old English and Shetland sheepdogs. 

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I've found through experience that Ivermectin is the most efficacious (IMHO) when dealing with ticks, mites, fleas and other parasites on dogs. I administer Ivermectin to my 2 dogs in the form of powder bought from a local pharmacy, every 2 weeks, dissolved in a little milk. As already stated, it doesn't stop ticks getting on the dog, but once they bite the dog, it's game over for the tick. It keeps my dogs are relatively tick-free.

Edit:

Forgot to mention: It's not suitable for certain dogs, such as collies, old English and Shetland sheepdogs. 

Agreed.  Ivermectin is an all-round good pest control med.  Kills worms throughout the body including heart-worms, kills ticks, and eliminates mange.  Gotta be careful with the dosage though which is 0.3 to 0.6mg per kilogram of weight depending on what pest you're trying to control, e.g., it take a very small amount to control heart worms.  The one downside to watch for is that some breeds of dogs (some terriers and collies if I remember right) can't metabolize Ivermectin but the adverse reactions are rare.  You can find info on dosages and precautions online.
I wouldn't use it on my cats though.  I stick to Frontline for the kitties. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 10:00 AM, connda said:

Agreed.  Ivermectin is an all-round good pest control med.  Kills worms throughout the body including heart-worms, kills ticks, and eliminates mange.  Gotta be careful with the dosage though which is 0.3 to 0.6mg per kilogram of weight depending on what pest you're trying to control, e.g., it take a very small amount to control heart worms.  The one downside to watch for is that some breeds of dogs (some terriers and collies if I remember right) can't metabolize Ivermectin but the adverse reactions are rare.  You can find info on dosages and precautions online.
I wouldn't use it on my cats though.  I stick to Frontline for the kitties. 

Yep I use Ivermectin ,I use the injection, 1 cc on our Thai medium-sized hounds work well ,and we live in a rural area, we have a lot of ticks.

Again you are right about heart worm, one of our dogs had it 2  jabs of ivermectin cured it.  

• Like 1