Covid Vaccines no longer free to non-Thais

digbeth

Haven't seen this in the news so not sure if this has been reported before,

Went to a Bangkok Metro Administration hospital to get a booster shot yesterday, 

before they open they made an announcement that to coincide with the Chinese arriving, Covid vaccines are no longer free for those without thai ID, for foreigner with work permit, the fee is 120 baht, 

anyone else without work permit has to go to certain big hospital only and the fee is around 1000 baht, looks like they expect the Chinese that never had non-Chinese vaccines that want to to be taking this option 

If you are going to get another booster, make sure it is the most up to date, and is effective against the more recent variants. 

Very smart of the officials here to start charging just as the heavily infected Chinese start arriving. What can one say about these goons? 

1 hour ago, Thailand J said:

It's worth the money if you need the vaccine. It's 1380B at Banglamung Pattaya for tourists. I don't know about for those with longterm visas.

I am healthy 62, do I need 5th dose?

Screenshot 2023-01-19 032621.jpg

I'm 69 with 4 Covid shots.  I was talking with my Doc about immunizations here in the USA.  I was thinking flu/pneumonia, a shingles shot #2 and a diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) shot.  She didn't think I needed another Covid booster as it's been 6 months since the last. 

I get these shots at the local drug store here and the guy currently giving them is good. I barely notice the shot.  Not like getting the IV for a colonoscopy that took nurses 3 tries to stick a big needle in a vein. But I guess it's how much they are giving you and the size of the needle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, digbeth said:

... It'd be funny if there really is demand from the Chinese to get good vaccine once they arrived, only to turn up at Thai government hospital and be given SinoVac that was graciously donated to Thailand from China 

Ah, but that would be "export quality" stuff, 555.  Just like clothing  made in Vietnam, Thailand or Bangladesh.  She buys on closeout sale in the U.S.A. and takes it back to Thailand.  Of course, buying "day old" medicines is a <deleted> shoot. 

Edited by Damrongsak

2 hours ago, Thailand J said:

It's worth the money if you need the vaccine. It's 1380B at Banglamung Pattaya for tourists. I don't know about for those with longterm visas.

I am healthy 62, do I need 5th dose?

Screenshot 2023-01-19 032621.jpg

Each dose only lasts about 3-6 months so you maybe ok without another booster or maybe not

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I'm 69 with 4 Covid shots.  I was talking with my Doc about immunizations here in the USA.  I was thinking flu/pneumonia, a shingles shot #2 and a diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT) shot.  She didn't think I needed another Covid booster as it's been 6 months since the last. 

I get these shots at the local drug store here and the guy currently giving them is good. I barely notice the shot.  Not like getting the IV for a colonoscopy that took nurses 3 tries to stick a big needle in a vein. But I guess it's how much they are giving you and the size of the needle.

The current common recommendation is to have the new Pfizer bivalent booster, (if you had Pfizer) at the 6 month period. It is now be given at the same time as the flu vaccine in North America. The reason for the change in guidance is that the updated vaccine is reportedly better at  preventing serious harm from the Omicron variant. (Yes, I know there is new variant - Kracken now, but the comments from multiple health agency is that the updated Pfizer  is better. Advice also applies to Moderna.)  if someone was willing to put up wih the vaccines for  4 doses, one might as well take the next booster to enjoy full benefit of the vaccine. 

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Not like getting the IV for a colonoscopy that took nurses 3 tries to stick a big needle in a vein. But I guess it's how much they are giving you and the size of the needle.

A flu/covid shot is far different than an IV.  Blood test would be similar to IV.

ACIP Vaccine Administration Guidelines for Immunization | CDCBEST Video for IV Cannulation Technique - YouTube

• Thumbs Up 1