Unconscious women on the mini bus

Don Chance

I took a mini bus from Kampot to Koh Kong today. What was upsetting was this women who was completely unconscious being taken care of by her husband. When i first got into the van i thought maybe she is sleeping or bit sick but then after a while as we drove on, i realize she was completely out cold, unconscious. The drive was long and rough, the road was unpaved and dusty. At one point we stopped for a break, i was relieved to see she was still breathing. I tried to ask what was wrong but nobody spoke English. The other foreigners on the bus, seemed to care less. They just shrugged.  Her poor husband kept trying to proper her up. Why take her so far, instead of to a local hospital. What do you think was wrong with her?  Is it illegal to transport someone like that? I was thinking of flagging a police man. It is depressing image in my head. Cambodia is sad country, seem to be run by children.

Perhaps she gets carsick and this is the only way she can travel? On a 12 hour flight back from Thailand this couple across from me must have taken some drigs and they were out for 10 hours. Heads bobbing misses meals but made for a restful short trip for them while I was suffering as I rarely can sleep on a plane.  That loud turbine whine bothers me.  

You were in a difficult situation.  I commend you for being concerned and trying to help.  Unfortunately the other foreigners didn’t care. But I’m sure if they were in the same situation.  They would be complaining how no one tried to help them.  Unfortunately the locals didn’t seemed concerned either. 
The only thing you could have possibly done was keep pressing the issue. 
I have a translator app on my phone.  In case I need to communicate in a foreign language. 

• Love It 1

23 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Cambodia is sad country, seem to be run by children.

With respect, and for reference, photo of King Noradom Sihamoni with members of Parliament (pre-pandemic but more or less still the same today) - any children???? There is a General Election here later this year so who knows!

King Convenes Cambodia's Parliament Amid Opposition Boycott — Radio Free  Asia

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

South East Asia is not the West, its full of crazy stuff. The truth is its not that nice you have to mind your own business.

In 20 years living on the Thai Cambodian border I have seen terrible thing's. From a  mentally ill man living  chained to a rice house. An 80 year old woman killed by a drunk driver and the court said no compensation because she was old and had no value. A alleged drug dealer executed by the police outside my home. A lad hit by a car ripping his leg off, later died but nothing happened because the driver that hit him was a police officer. A 16 year old having half his face cut off over drugs. A man barbecued my wife's dog, but he was hungry so it was acceptable. One of the most shocking things was when I found out my neighbour was in the khmer rouge, but it turned out he is nice.

I could go on but my point is the place is not that nice, you have to look after yourself and don't look to close or it can leave you feeling sick.

Edited by mick220675
English not good
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1