Western Brands Cut Quality For Thai market

Brewster67

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Liptons tea has always been expensive garbage.

Buy Typhoo one cup tea bags on Lazada, 150bht for 100 bags.

Yeah, I probably will do that. Usually I would bring back a large quantity of Yorkshire Tea every time I visited the UK, but have not been there for years and am now exposed to the Thai market. But yes, I won't be buying Liptons again, I will be certainly taking your advice, until then I will be double bagging the cup till they are gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidneyw said:

I always found shaving foam here to be weil below the standard found in the UK.

Gillette is Gillette.... same quality but 3 times the price.

The other garbage like Barbasol is indeed subpar. Have you tried Nivea and Watsons? Don't.

Edited by Celsius
  • Haha 2

I thiink it DEPENDS on where the product - especially food was made and packaged.

I got 2kg of Kellogs corn flakes made in India as a test. 6 small packages of cereal in a 'big plastic' bag.  Product was good and because of packaging, last bag was as fresh as the 1st after 4 months with good taste and texture.

As a Yank, I try to buy several American produced and packaged - so the package says,  in the US monthly, and, have had good luck for 8 years.

I do buy BISTO and make sure it's imported - so the package says.

I have found the MANY international brands available - not produced in original country, are NOT of the same quality, quanity or taste as made in the original country.

On 1/26/2023 at 2:50 PM, Celsius said:

Gillette is Gillette.... same quality but 3 times the price.

The other garbage like Barbasol is indeed subpar. Have you tried Nivea and Watsons? Don't.

Gillette London Bridge foam on lazada is around 120 bht for 300 ml.

Practically same Gillette lime odour foam for 150ml is around 200 bht.

Never heard of London Bridge foam before and was using all sorts due to Gillette cost here . Found it by luck and now only one I buy here as it’s same quality as expensive Gillette foam.

• Like 1

I have purchased some western brand small appliances here.  I find the quality is not as good.  And they don’t last too long. 
It’s like when you buy a vehicle in the West and it’s manufactured in Mexico   The quality is usually not as good. 

I heard that China have a copy of literally everything. The locals in China don’t even trust what they buy is legit from pharmaceuticals to food to cars to everything. 

you say you purchased from Lazada? Interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2023 at 1:05 PM, NextG said:

Some products are made especially for Asian markets and are made in Asia. 
Tim-Tams are an example. Sometimes you will see both the original product and the Asian version close to each other. The original version being more expensive with a different eating quality. 

I remember buying them years ago because Villa had them on special. They were a fraction of what they were in Australia and when I looked at the packaging they were made in Indonesia. No Australian would go near them!

• Haha 1

Either they know y'all like like strong tea, lots of sardines in the can, Euro chocolate and toothpaste, big condoms etc and they like to mess with your happiness.

Or

Product differentiation is a way for products and brands to command market share based on consumer preferences.

Lipton's, the sardine canners, chocolate and toothpaste and condom makers, ect. have marketing MBAs probably that determined through focus groups etc. that the Thai market prefers weaker bag tea than other market and other manufacturers the same.

So y'all don't buy enough to count. 

And have a little sympathy for Thai guys buying rubbers in the West.

Edited by ignore it

On 1/26/2023 at 1:01 PM, BritManToo said:

Unfortunately thats garbage as well. I bring Yorkshire tea bags over with me which are the best by far. They can also bought at expats shops like Siamburys in Pattaya.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:01 PM, BritManToo said:

Lipton's is the tea equivalent of McDonalds - available everywhere but not very good.

I don't know about tea or sardines, but I do know that the quality of meat products is far, far below the standard elsewhere - be it the UK, Europe, the USA or Australia. Unless you pay western prices+ at Tops.

I also know that if you buy any product from China it is likely to be useless junk before long. I have a Chinese colleague, and in my diplomatic way I asked him why stuff from China is such cra*, and he was surprised and said he didn't have any problems at home. So, in support of the OP, I do believe Thailand just imports the cheapest it can with no regard for quality. Sums the country up quite well, really. As a Korean tv producer I worked with said in summing up Thailand in just six words, 'The standard here is so low'.

• Like 1

Power tools from the west are lower quality and safety is compromised as a Bosch angle grinder flew out of my hands while cutting steel , caught up in my clothing and have a beautiful scar across my chest to prove it . If the angle grinder had been sold in the EU and not Thailand that would not have happened as when the machine goes out of your hand the power cuts out to the motor . 

• Thanks 1

You should able to send a complaint to the department of weights and measures in the country of packaging. You are entitled to recompense as Lipton has broken the law. I doubt that Lipton would willfully break the law just to appease a Thai importer, most likely their own error. Very good pick up on your part to weigh their product.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 1:16 PM, Brewster67 said:

Yeah, I probably will do that. Usually I would bring back a large quantity of Yorkshire Tea every time I visited the UK, but have not been there for years and am now exposed to the Thai market. But yes, I won't be buying Liptons again, I will be certainly taking your advice, until then I will be double bagging the cup till they are gone.

me too....i have been using lipton.....but will give typhoo a try if 150 on lazada

38 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

me too....i have been using lipton.....but will give typhoo a try if 150 on lazada

Typhoo 1 cup 100 =149bht + postage

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/typhoo-one-cup-tea-bags-100s-i2324482735.html

Tetley 1 cup 72 = 149bht + postage

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tetley-one-cup-72s-i2476368567-s8710830641.html

Last year the Typhoo tea bags were 90bht/100, I've got 3 years supply in my cupboard bought at that price.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1