Why is land so expensive in Chiang Mai?

3 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Neighbors and their habits are the most important issue when buying land in Thailand.

Spot on! The reason for looking for a new house. Noisy inconsiderate neighbours left right and centre... 

Trying to buy a detached house or land

4 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Neighbors and their habits are the most important issue when buying land in Thailand.

A friend of mine started a outback nice view and country side restaurant and the neighbors thought it was a good time to start pig farming. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I recall there was a thread running a few months bank where the link to the treasury website was also provided.  One of the member on the thread also posted instructions on how to enter your chanote data.  Can anyone post a link to that older thread?  I have searched but cannot find it.  Mods can you help out here?

BlackCab  can you help out?

Edited by Adumbration

54 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

I own 1 rai in the jungle, bought under my wife's name.

Put in a 29233923928 km pipe that sucks out all the oil from under Thailand.   I'm digging to the Sea of Oman!!!!!

In 1700 I told everyone to BUY, BUY, BUY!!!!!  But oh no, they wanted to go to Pattaya and spend their money!!!

I'm currently buying planets 100 light years from here.  

Jesuz Christ there are some utterly worthless posters on the forum.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Hummin said:

A friend of mine started a outback nice view and country side restaurant and the neighbors thought it was a good time to start pig farming. 

Pig farmers probably complained about the noise and the smell from the restaurant?  ????????????

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

The price in the project next to my house is 18,000-22,000/sqw (1 rai is 400 sqw). 7-9 mil bath for 1 rai, but only 50-100sqw plots are for sale. I do not live in bkk.

Edited by stapoz

On 1/28/2023 at 7:51 PM, redsongthaew said:

I never understand the pricing of rice paddy. Why pay 5 million baht per rai to buy when you can rent for about 1,000 baht per rai per year?

Perhaps a more knowledgeable member could tell us how many years it would take to earn 5 million baht from farming rice on 1 rai. I suspect it will be a very long time.

Take a 1 hour trip in virtually any direction. Rural land prices are reasonable and you're just 1 hour (or less) from CM.  I've lived in CM.  Too crowded and like a few of us weirder farang expats - I much prefer rural Thai life.  A lot.
And honestly - rural Thai life ain't that far away for expensive Chiang Mai.  But if your heart is set on buying property in CM.  Be patient.  The bottom is going to fall out of most global markets including CM and then?  Cash Is King. 
Fyi.  For the observant?  Property prices have been falling...  ????

49 minutes ago, connda said:

Take a 1 hour trip in virtually any direction. Rural land prices are reasonable and you're just 1 hour (or less) from CM.  I've lived in CM.  Too crowded and like a few of us weirder farang expats - I much prefer rural Thai life.  A lot.
And honestly - rural Thai life ain't that far away for expensive Chiang Mai.  But if your heart is set on buying property in CM.  Be patient.  The bottom is going to fall out of most global markets including CM and then?  Cash Is King. 
Fyi.  For the observant?  Property prices have been falling...  ????

Funny I should mention that.  Some people in CM own a smallish parcel of land next to our own land.  In reality it is a piece of land that may have been owned in the past by my wife's grandfather.  She owns three plots and this is a matching plot the same size as our rear lot.  Actually, if you put the front lot they are trying to sell together with the larger rear lot of ours, then they may be able to swing 500K.  But we ain't going to sell as that is my garden area and it's the high ground where our water tank sits.  Anywhere, their lot ain't much without our back lot attached.  They aren't getting what they're asking.
It's maybe less than a quarter of a rai.  Horrible location though as whoever buys it will need to truck in a s***-ton of dirt to get the plot level with the road. And then there is a utility pole smack in the middle of where you'd put a driveway. They have been advertising the land for 500K THB for over a year.  I'd take it off their hands for 100K just to use it as a garden.  Interesting tho' as they came by today and posted a sign dropping the price to 350K THB.  It's still over-priced.  It's worth 100K at most.  Or it's worth what people are willing to pay.  They aren't going to sell it for 350K from the original 500K they wanted - which is fine by us.  I'd rather not have anything built next to us as long as I'm alive.  It's nice a quiet just the way it is.
But like I said.  Wait.  Patience will be rewarded to those who know the parable of the ant and the grasshopper.

Edited by connda

On 1/28/2023 at 3:04 PM, falangUK said:

No where near B3 mil per rai in CM >> so what's the going rate? Still can't find anything 15-20km from the city for less than 3 mil THB /rai

10 years ago I'd say Ban-Ti but now that they've made noise about an airport out there? 
It's probably out of sight as well. 

Try rural Lamphun province.