Caffeine Allergy.

Mason45

Hi all, In recent years I get a chronic sore throat and cough after drinking tea or coffee. I've received advice in regards to this matter by the means of numerous sources, all to no avavail. I've tried decaf tea and also coffee with no relief. Even water has been suggested but that exactly isn't a decent drink first thing in the morning. Where I'm living in Thailand right now supermarkets don't have the wide range of goods such as the supermarkets in Pattaya. So at the moment it's either drink water or suffer the consequences. Cheers.

If you have had your allergy confirmed I suspect there is little you can do but avoid caffein. Don't forget a lot of soft drinks have it added. Even headache cures sometimes include it. 

Surely you could drink fruit juices... my Mrs goes at it with tangerines and the juicer machine every morning. 

• Like 1

i love ice cold water first thing, ice and a slice of lime in it - gets things ticking over again. My son's taken to warming milk up with a spoon of honey or nutella in it to have with breakfast.

not trying to give recommendations - like the other posts - just saying that there are many alternatives.

I am still addicted to caffeine, but the doctor told me to ease off due to suspected ulcers, so I experimented with various teas made from homegrown vegetables/herbs. The easiest combo so far that I have found is pandanus leaf and krathom, which is now legal. 

I also use the flowers of butterfly pea, ginger, galangal, tumeric and cinnamon. 

I used to throw in a chili, but the doc told me to cut that out too. 

I also sprinkle in some salt, not for the taste but because I have low sodium levels, the doc found. 

• Like 1

The OP is extremely confusing.

It's titled "caffeine allergy" but that isn't even mentioned in the text.

Are you suspicious that you may have a caffeine allergy and listing symptoms that you may believe will help confirm or deny the issue?

or have you been confirmed as allergic and are listing additional things that appear to be aggravating your condition?

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i wonder if it's caused by acid reflux the night before

Possibly.... OP never go to bed with contents in your stomach, and no lying around after eating. Coffee can contribute to GORDS, as well as spicy foods. 

On 1/31/2023 at 7:23 AM, scubascuba3 said:

i wonder if it's caused by acid reflux the night before

ScubaScuba, I really wish my doctor in the UK was as knowledgeable as you. I had a sore throat for 6 months which was caused by Acid Reflux. In the end I was sent to the Hospital and was diagnosed there. How can a doctor not dignose you for Acid Reflux, absolutely useless.

Mason45 you are not allergic to coffee you have Acid Reflux. You can send me a DM if you want i have loads of different hacks to try and prevent it. I hardly drink coffee any more as its one of the worst things for acid reflux and I get a sore throat and cough same as you. 

• Love It 1