Permanently Leaving the UK

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Sure, but there would be solicitors fees as they would be the executor and responsible for selling the flat and remitting monies with no-one really overseeing them (not that I'm paranoid - just cautious)!

If you move to Thailand you'll probably need a Thai will, that can't be steeled until your UK will is also settled. Regardless of whether you have assets in the UK or not, your estate will need to go through some sort of probate process, I don't think that can be avoided unless you 100% leave in every respect and become redomicilled

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

If you rent out your flat in the UK and you have an attic to store your stuff, make sure you don't tell the council tax folks. If you do, that will mean the flat is not empty and you'll not get the tax free one month before and one month after a tenant leaves. 

I think you may find that voids and whether payment is due are up to the discretion of the relevant local authority.

In my case I was unable to even get the single person discount during covid after my tenants left (as I foolishly told them it was unfurnished)  and, even worse,  if it had remained empty for more than a year 2years I would have had to then pay double.......

In comparison a quick look online shows Glasgow offer up to 6 months "free" if tenants have left and the place is empty.

Edited by topt
correction
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

If you move to Thailand you'll probably need a Thai will, that can't be steeled until your UK will is also settled. Regardless of whether you have assets in the UK or not, your estate will need to go through some sort of probate process, I don't think that can be avoided unless you 100% leave in every respect and become redomicilled

I have a UK will that covers soley UK assets and a Thai will that covers soley Thai assets - are you saying that's not sufficient