Taxi Scams Remain Top Complaint Among Foreign Tourists in Thailand

webfact

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They don't? They still come in their millions, tens of millions. Which is why the Thais don't give a rat's fart about any complaints, even if they often pretend they do - for a day or so until the news has moved on and it's all forgotten. Again.

And so it is. 

Isn't really a great concern, is it? 

That is, only when the media exaggerates regarding such things. 

• Like 1

Just now, khunpa said:

Well, still people (Including myself) prefer a bit of “chaos” over a sterile place like eg. Singapore. 

A pal recently returned from Japan said exactly the same... loved Japan, buy happy to be back in the chaos!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

High taxi fares in Bangkok?

My experience is that Bangkok taxis are cheap, clean and efficient.

A good comparison would be the taxi fare from Heathrow to Central London with BKK to say, Silom.

The London fare would be £60+.

The Bangkok fare (for a longer journey) is around £12.

Yeah, yeah make sure meter is turned on when starting journey.

What are these classy Western tourists moaning about!

If tourists are going to be stupid enough to get in taxis with no meter they deserve to get fleeced.

These are the same people that will argue and want a lower price for a t shirt then walk out and get a tuk tuk with no concerns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:
2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

and allmentioned items are only the tip of the iceberg...and than wondering why tourists don't come anymore...  

They don't? They still come in their millions, tens of millions. Which is why the Thais don't give a rat's fart about any complaints, even if they often pretend they do - for a day or so until the news has moved on and it's all forgotten. Again.

Spot on Barry.

But you know the usual suspects on here have to gurn about something or else their sad and empty lives will become even more unbearable. Some sort of salve for their own inadequacies maybe?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Thankfully I don't suffer this anymore from experience, other set-ups for my transportation, and in-country savvy growing over the years. 

But imagine, (if it hasn't happened to you yet) what its like for a first, or infrequent visiting tourist to fly for 8, 15, or 30 odd hours to get to Phuket and leave the terminal and be told the fare to Patong is around a thousand baht, or more if the driver thinks he's got a 'live-one' in the backseat and can get away with asking for more? 

What an insulting, infuriating, unsettling scam to be greeted with as you arrive in a nation that is reported to be laid back, the 'land of smiles' , and a great happy place to holiday in.

How to 'shoot yourself in the foot' so to speak LOS.

You can pre-book in advance your taxi from the Phuket airport. Last November I booked taxi through Klook to Cape Panwa which is longer distance than Patong or Kata, 600 baht. Paying the same distance in Sydney would cost me a small fortune.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

billions and billions as we have to believe all the numbers....and than tomorrow tourism is not even 50% of 2019 before Covid..... Believe what you want to believe...

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Forever said:

High taxi fares in Bangkok?

My experience is that Bangkok taxis are cheap, clean and efficient.

A good comparison would be the taxi fare from Heathrow to Central London with BKK to say, Silom.

The London fare would be £60+.

The Bangkok fare (for a longer journey) is around £12.

Yeah, yeah make sure meter is turned on when starting journey.

What are these classy Western tourists moaning about!

Can't compare... Salaries and wages are a bit higher too in the UK or not?

• Like 1

Just 200 tourists interviewed and I expect many of those were 'couples" so counted as two. A very small base. I have no complaints about BKK taxi's ... if no meter, I will get the next one. Always seem polite and courteous. If they want to gauge complaints go to Phuket - airport taxi rates, tuk tuks, jet ski's ... the list goes on and has been for years.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mochit is the land time forgot.

unauthorised taxis a plenty. 

The touts say not many cars today. 

700 to Survanabhumi and walk you around the back to cousin and his car.

Official taxi (agree there's not many) about 350 baht.

Huge corruption here.

• Like 1