Banged Up! "Extortion" case cops denied bail - but are they scapegoats for wider malaise in RTP?

webfact

My stepdaughter last year successfully completed a five year university course to join Royal Thai Police. She wanted to become a forensic scene of crimes officer. Unfortunately, part way through her course RTP announced that no females were to be appointed to 'inquiry' roles for reliability reasons. However, she decided to continue. I suggested Immigration Division would be the most lucrative, especially if she could be posted to Suvarnabhumi Airport. Whilst waiting for the next intake, she is working for a software development/website/mobile application company and seems to be happy in her work. I can't envisage anything changing very much at RTP. Does seem a shame after 5 years of study not to try for RTP.     

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Every single officer leading them away will have done the same thing at one point or another.

Dog and Pony show.

I'm pretty sure it's simply a case of "Sorry guys, but you ripped off the wrong people.  Now we have to show that we are doing something about it."

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Whether it is a minor civil servant asking for a couple of hundred baht tea money to issue  license he is paid to issue or money being ripped out of major infrastructure projects corruption is rife in Thailand.

I'm of the opinion that many of the issues with tea money for minor civil servants is rooted in a deeper problem; that of excessively overcomplicated procedures and bureaucracy that, if actually followed to the letter are completely unworkable.

For example, when I first started a business here back in 2008, immigration procedures required that I go to a Thai embassy somewhere like Kuala Lumpur with my work permit to get my one year B visa. The problem was that the labour department's regulations prohibited my taking my work permit out of the country! Although this particular situation has subsequently been addressed, it is a good example of the overcomplicated, pointless bureaucratic chaos that passes for 'correct procedure' here.

When civil servants take tea money they are often helping someone get a needless, pointless bit of paper that is required for them to run a business or to just lead a normal life. It's easy to see why such practices continue; either unworkable, needlessly complicated regulations are followed to the letter and the entire country grinds to a halt, or civil servants make concessions at their own risk and somewhat understandably ask for recompense for doing so.

Edited by Davedub
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

If I remember correctly, the example quoted was something like; 'When we have a raid planned we don't want female officers failing to turn up because their baby sitter has let them down'.

Welcome to last century!

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Any chance she can get a gig overseas?

I have a niece who is planning to study Japanese language in Udon Thani. Previously, a nephew studied for 6 months at same college and obtained a post in the seafood industry in Japan. Language would be the key to that for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

As the original post implies, these are just foot soldiers obeying orders from higher up. There is no way street cops, like these, would get the keep the 27,000 Baht exhorted. They may get 500 Baht each, but most will go up the food chain right to the top of the metropolitan police.

My Thai wife was discussing that with me the other day and I didn't even ask her about it. 
She brought up the subject.  I just nodded my head.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elkski said:

No witness tampering.  But I'm sure they can have visits from their superiors telling them to take the hit and they will be rewarded and sprung ASAP. 

And no one will be the wiser as the entire affair is "memory holed."

I'd posit that Thai "Investigative Journalism" ends between 48 to 96 hours after the event and then - hai bpai - disappears!

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The captains, senior sergeants and sergeants were soon being led back to jail where they can be held for up to seven 12 day periods subject to the court's discretion

Seven 12 day periods??? Sheesh????

This was extortion..... this was grand larceny,  threatening

I know poor Thai's who have been sentenced to 2 YEARS in prison for picking

mushrooms in the wrong place

These poor cops probably sitting in aircon rooms in the prison

Some countries would cut their left hands off send a message

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mania said:

Seven 12 day periods??? Sheesh????

This was extortion..... this was grand larceny,  threatening

I know poor Thai's who have been sentenced to 2 YEARS in prison for picking

mushrooms in the wrong place

These poor cops probably sitting in aircon rooms in the prison

Some countries would cut their left hands off send a message

This is quite reflective of oligarchical corpocracies. 

Same same everywhere.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shackleton said:

It's a start with the 6 police guys getting arrested for corruption 

A severe sentence is needed hopefully sends out a message to others on the take ????

Will it stop doubt it but you have to  start somewhere ????

Scapegoats. Nothing more or less.

It may go as far as a big well publicised trial - or this parade performance may be enough if something else comes along.

Any exemplary sentences handed down are unlikely to be really served. They will end up employed in the shadier fringes of what is, after all, a nationwide mafia business. Such businesses always need "foot soldiers".

Edited by herfiehandbag

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Videos showed the men being led from the Bangkok Remand Prison to a special, relatively new court that deals with corruption cases against bent officials. 

I suspect that if this corruption issue was really being taken seriously then they would also need a new, and much larger, prison to hold those involved.

• Like 1

"Videos showed the men being led from the Bangkok Remand Prison to a special, relatively new court that deals with corruption cases against bent officials."

Going by the information in the article, and what seems to be common knowledge about widespread corruption in the RTP, it shouldn't be long before a committee is set up to discuss the viability of setting up such courts in every province in Thailand!  

18 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

My stepdaughter last year successfully completed a five year university course to join Royal Thai Police. She wanted to become a forensic scene of crimes officer. Unfortunately, part way through her course RTP announced that no females were to be appointed to 'inquiry' roles for reliability reasons. However, she decided to continue. I suggested Immigration Division would be the most lucrative, especially if she could be posted to Suvarnabhumi Airport. Whilst waiting for the next intake, she is working for a software development/website/mobile application company and seems to be happy in her work. I can't envisage anything changing very much at RTP. Does seem a shame after 5 years of study not to try for RTP.     

".............no females were to be appointed to 'inquiry' roles for reliability reasons."

What they mean to say is that no females can be trusted to keep their mouths shut! ????

Seriously, there are female Police Officers, but maybe they are appointed merely to search and accompany female suspects as is probably required by International Law/Human Rights.

• Thanks 1