Where to buy canned refried beans

neytil

11 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Several stores used to carry them regularly. Now it's hit and miss, Villa Market being the most dependable. Lazada wants an arm and a leg. We're still not over the Covid supply chain disruption.

My Villa market has weeks where the shelves are near empty in some sections. 

3 hours ago, n00dle said:

My Villa market has weeks where the shelves are near empty in some sections. 

Apart from Villa Markets, which also in my experience are one of the few supermarkets to stock canned frijoles here...

Foodland Supermarkets also stock U.S. imported 1 pound bags of dried pinto beans, which can be boiled at home and made into frijoles. The bags also run about 85 baht, so they're also a whole lot less expensive than the very overpriced Rosarita imported canned frijoles.

Also, Central Food Halls such as Central Chidlom often tend to stock S&W brand canned pinto beans (labeled as "chili beans" at about 99 baht per can, which also are easy to be made into frijoles.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LALes said:

Casa Fiesta was my favorite brand for refried and sliced jalapenos.  Neither one in stock for months at Villa.

Makro in the Sathorn area used to stock a lot of Casa Fiesta products, including sometimes the huge tins of sliced jalapenos...as well as some CF salsas... But I can't remember Makro stocking the CF canned frijoles.

39 minutes ago, rwill said:

Villa Market on Lazada want 230 baht for a can.

Rosarita refried beans

But on Villa Markets own online shop they are 185 baht.

Rosarita refried beans

But they only have the jalapeno flavored ones in stock.  If you look on their site there are several others listed but all out of stock.

While in the states they're 60-70 baht/can and all flavors are overflowing on the shelves. I'm visiting in a month and coming back with a year's supply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marin said:

Villa Market for a brick and mortar shop, or Lazada always has them. Can buy the canned Pinto beans and make your own in a pinch.

Will follow your pinto beans idea, some good recipes on the net, and easy enough to make

Edited by neytil
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, neytil said:

Will follow your pinto beans idea, some good recipes on the net, and easy enough to make

A trick I learned. Try using bacon grease as a substitute for the lard. No time spent looking for it, and adds a nice taste. 

• Thanks 1

make your own beans 

For cooking the dry beans:

• 1 pound dry black beans or any beans 

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

• 1/2 large white onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)

• 1 clove garlic, minced

• 2 teaspoons salt

• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (leaves and tender stems)

You can use dry pinto beans or black beans to make refried beans far less expensively than buying the canned stuff.  Better tasting too.

Here is a good recipe from YouTuber Chef John, Chef John's Refried Beans.

Thais render pork fat into lard all the time but they tend to do it at a high temperature by frying.  The lard is dark and the taste is strong, usually too strong for refried beans.

If you render lard at a low temperature you get white lard with almost no taste, which is fine for baking but a complete waste of pig fat for refried beans in my opinion

What you want is to render most of the pork fat at low temperature then raise the temperature some and continue rendering the pork.  Try for a very light brown with a good clean taste.  How to Render LARD - Jill Winger - Old Fashioned on Purpose

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They aren't really refritos but you can order a portion of Mexican style beans that come with a side of sour cream and cheese for 40 baht here. I think they're quite good. 

Hotmeals2u Order Quality Food Online With Delivery all over Pattaya

That food looks good!  Too bad I am not in Pattaya!