How easy is it to convert several land Chanotes into 1 chanote title document?

We are looking at cheap land at the moment. One owner is selling a small area that has 2 chanotes attached to it. We approached the owner of the land next to it which has 3 chanotes. Both seem interested in selling it. 

Questions:

1. If the sales all went through and in the wifes name, how easy is it to take all chanote documents to the land office and convert to just 1 chanote? If you have done this before please give your opinion and how much?

2. If we didnt bother doing the above, can we legally build a house that would sit half on one of the areas (one chanote) and half on the other area (different chanote). Is that legal to do that or not?

thanks

Our place is on two chanotes, we didn't bother but I understand it's not a mega task to link them. If your land office is crazy busy like ours, they may be reluctant and require a little "lubrication".

Nobody said anything about our house which does actually overlap slightly, the second plot would need an easement to access it anyway so would never be sold separately in our case.

We have four channottes and Mrs NF asked the LO to combine them. They said they would but the land must be surveyed first, to confirm the marker locations.

On said day, the survey team came out but they stopped mid survey and went into a deep huddle with the Mrs. It seems that one of the plots of land used to have a klong running through it and according to their records it should still be there. The klong in question was a short branch from the main klong which is still there, which ran for about 15 meters and then terminated. So who stole the klong!

The survey team comprised a private contractor, he said that if he could keep the 2k baht we paid for the survey he would say nothing and that we had decided not to proceed. We did that.

It seems the owner/builder of our house did but he isn't admitting to the fact. We asked our Solicitor about this because she handled the sale and she went very very quiet, never to be heard from again.

We are reliably told that if we wait a few more years, by which time memories and minds will have unimaginably dimmed further, the previous owner/builder will fix things with his, ahem, contact at the LO. Given that he is a very very very senior rank retired, we have no doubt about this.

My advice to the OP is to pay the 2k baht and get the lots surveyed.

4 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

We have four channottes and Mrs NF asked the LO to combine them. They said they would but the land must be surveyed first, to confirm the marker locations.

On said day, the survey team came out but they stopped mid survey and went into a deep huddle with the Mrs. It seems that one of the plots of land used to have a klong running through it and according to their records it should still be there. The klong in question was a short branch from the main klong which is still there, which ran for about 15 meters and then terminated. So who stole the klong!

The survey team comprised a private contractor, he said that if he could keep the 2k baht we paid for the survey he would say nothing and that we had decided not to proceed. We did that.

It seems the owner/builder of our house did but he isn't admitting to the fact. We asked our Solicitor about this because she handled the sale and she went very very quiet, never to be heard from again.

We are reliably told that if we wait a few more years, by which time memories and minds will have unimaginably dimmed further, the previous owner/builder will fix things with his, ahem, contact at the LO. Given that he is a very very very senior rank retired, we have no doubt about this.

My advice to the OP is to pay the 2k baht and get the lots surveyed.

Thanks for your reply about this. 

I would like to get the land surveyed immediately but understand there must be delays unless we offer a very large tip to get it done on monday or tuesday next week. Failing that we would lose the sale as there are many people interested in this land for sure. I have seen other buyers at the land already and worried we might lose it. If our attorney goes to the land office on monday can he check things (Klong?). What else does he check exactly? He must check if any existing finance attached on the chanote? What else?

Finally, I dont exactly understand what a Klong is?

thanks

3 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

Thanks for your reply about this. 

I would like to get the land surveyed immediately but understand there must be delays unless we offer a very large tip to get it done on monday or tuesday next week. Failing that we would lose the sale as there are many people interested in this land for sure. I have seen other buyers at the land already and worried we might lose it. If our attorney goes to the land office on monday can he check things (Klong?). What else does he check exactly? He must check if any existing finance attached on the chanote? What else?

Finally, I dont exactly understand what a Klong is?

thanks

A klong is an irrigation channel containing water, anything from a stream to a river, they are owned by the government/amphur.

Any borrowings against the land must be recorded on the back of the chanotte, take a look and see if anything is there.

Every chanot contains a drawing of the shape of the lot, if they are adjacent those shapes will all fit together. Time to do some sketching and cutting of shapes. If they do'nt fit together, walk away.

And I hate to say it but today is a buyers market, if  you're being rushed into the purchase, beware, something is not right. And if you are emotionally attached to buying the land, I'd wait a week or so to really see if it's a good deal.

• Like 1