Mirrors absent on motorbikes, is this a 'thing'?

notrub

Classic mirrors are not look cool + for getting trough traffic between cars. Usually however they install new ones that are under the handles.

If in Burriram, well, places like that they usually not have much brain and just do whatever.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing surprises. When we lived in Sa Kaeo there was a brief craze of high school students fitting mirrors facing forward to reflect back at oncoming traffic.

Either the police or high school put a stop to it. Another not so clever idea.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Denim said:

The reason for this is that it makes the bike 0.0000001 kph faster. Less weight and drag.

and...................................................AND!!!!

you save petrol, d'uh!!!!   Add that up over 78 billion kms and that's like 100 baht!!!!!

Bald, no helmet, ride Superman style, head down, hand on horn....

if it works, you might save both time and money!!!!   if not, well, up to you.... up to you....

it's a fact the CIA has a chip in every gas tank in America, so I replace the engine immediately!!!!

clever.   very clever.  

• Haha 2

When trying to comprehend the mentality towards driving / riding here it is often explained that the forward field of vision is the riders / divers responsibility, every other direction. Is someone else’s….

That would explain a lot of the blindly dumb maneuvers !

… and also an absence of mirrors ! 

• Like 2

I first noticed the trend when travelling in Cambodia, and then it eventually also started here in Buriram and Surin (close to Cambodian Border)

I asked the Son of my BIL why?

And he said and I quote

"It makes the bike go faster" :cheesy:

Edit: It's the same as asking why I have my lights on when driving, I say for better visibility to other Vehicles and they say "It will use more petrol" :whistling:

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

When I took the required driver's training course (back in the early 70s) my instructor had a small traffic light with a suction cup attached to the rear window.

The instructor had a wired remote he held down to his side out of view and would change the light color of that small traffic light at various times. As a learning student you had to tell him when the light changed colors. If you were slow informing him then your score could be affected.

That there taught me at a young age to use the rearview mirror.

A couple of years ago we rented a Motorhome back in my Home Country, and OMG was it difficult (at first) to only use the outside mirrors as they don't come with a rear view mirror.

Edited by MJCM
Forgot the word "ago"

Where I live most Thai riders have mirrors but they do not know how to use them. There is also a lot of riders believe they can ride against the traffic. The other group are the ones that cannot interpret no entry signs and drive the wrong way in a one way street. 

8 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Nothing surprises. When we lived in Sa Kaeo there was a brief craze of high school students fitting mirrors facing forward to reflect back at oncoming traffic.

Either the police or high school put a stop to it. Another not so clever idea.

Or we had a craze for a while left hand mirror on the right side,right side mirror on the left,both facing in ,reason, so they can see they face the mirror while driving.

This was 20 years ago,now they are all grown up and responsible people.

So, the answer is no, we cannot encourage people to use their mirrors as a safer driving device.  Whether they are riding a bike or driving a huge pickup. Or that person stuck in the right lane blissfully unaware that their cruise control is set to the exact same speed as their neighbor to their left.  These problems are not exclusive to Thailand and we expats could all look to our home countries b4 commenting too harshly.

12 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Where I live most Thai riders have mirrors but they do not know how to use them. There is also a lot of riders believe they can ride against the traffic. The other group are the ones that cannot interpret no entry signs and drive the wrong way in a one way street. 

1. Of course they know how to use them for checking their zits while waiting for the lights to change, can't do that while travelling.

2. The shorter distance between 2 points, why should use fuel to travel away from where I want to go, and anyway it's the same road on both sides.

3. Not only limited to motorcyclists and this sign means low flying motorcycles ahead, doesn't it. road sign

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, MJCM said:

I think it has to do with his L plate.

Maybe his instructor thought this would solve the problem for him not looking into the mirrors ????

Reminded me. In 1963 I had a 200cc Ariel Colt. On the end of the handle bar next to the twist grip was a built in mirror. I went for my driving test and failed and was told on turning right I should look behind then if all clear move to the right, Saying I used my mirror was not good enough. Good little bike , cost me a fiver. Chap also had a 976cc V twin , I bought that off him , that was 10 bob.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When trying to comprehend the mentality towards driving / riding here it is often explained that the forward field of vision is the riders / divers responsibility, every other direction. Is someone else’s….

That would explain a lot of the blindly dumb maneuvers !

… and also an absence of mirrors ! 

Don't know the law in Thailand but I like mirrors on my bike anyway, also liked them on my motorbikes in UK where there is no law against not having mirrors on a bike. 

17 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Reminded me. In 1963 I had a 200cc Ariel Colt. On the end of the handle bar next to the twist grip was a built in mirror. I went for my driving test and failed and was told on turning right I should look behind then if all clear move to the right, Saying I used my mirror was not good enough. Good little bike , cost me a fiver. Chap also had a 976cc V twin , I bought that off him , that was 10 bob.

Yes it's called using your neck. ????

23 hours ago, notrub said:

have no rear view mirrors mounted

Don't look back.  Something to think about...yet I do not drive, but when I had a bicycle here, it did not have mirrors and I was fine.