If you were me - what would you do: Poll

Yodarapper

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

And as my saying says. Do not quote other posts and after try to include it in the text for reply on the post mentioned.

Seems to me that you should talk a little bit more to the cows you are referring to. 

Jeeze guy, what's with the attitude! People are only trying to get along and be helpful or seek info.

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Really, wow, I did the math on buying a new car 8 years ago just before I purchased my new car back then. It went like this:

Car cost 800k baht with a years registration and 1st class insurance, plus some other things thrown in. 2 sets of replacement tyres, oil changes, and a little maintenance. I didn't include services, registration, insurance and fuel costs as they are normal costs associated when driving the car. 

So if I added 200,000 to the purchase price that would take it to a mil baht, now I would say I could get 400,000 baht for the car as it's a one owner and well looked after, that said, the cost for that car would be 600,000 baht over 8 years = 75,000 baht over 12 months = 6,250 baht or 200 baht per day if you like.

That to me is better than renting one for 16,000 baht per month, because you own it, you drive it, you maintain it and you know your cars reliability. 

How much would a lease cost you per month, noting that none of it would be recouped at the end of the lease.

Much much less, really, what 50% plus associated running costs, please enlighten me as to cost of your lease for an 8 year period for example.

It's easy to spew out words, but the math and a lot of others factors shows a clearer picture.

Well we don't know about that, because he could buy a 2nd hand car that is well maintained like mine and continue to enjoy it for a few years to come, e.g. 2, 3, 4 year and more.

If he purchased it for 400,000 baht and resold it 4 years later for say 100,000 baht, he would have spent 300,000 baht excluding the other associated costs that I mentioned that are standard with driving a car.

So doing the math, it reverts back to what it cost me per month, i.e. 6,250 baht per month or 200 baht per day, now I will wait for those leasing figures of yours per month thanks ???? 

Thanks, are you saying in my situation where I’m not sure if I’ll be here 2,3 or 4 years it makes sense to buy new or secondhand or rent?

1 hour ago, Yodarapper said:

Thanks, are you saying in my situation where I’m not sure if I’ll be here 2,3 or 4 years it makes sense to buy new or secondhand or rent?

Buy a decent new car! 24 x 16 000,- = 384 000!

Service and insurance equal 35k max  or simular if Insurance included first year for a car +- 1 million baht.

We can expect baht to get stronger not weaker! 

Good luck

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 1:50 PM, Yodarapper said:

we use money to send back home for mortgage

methinks house prices are on the verge of a collapse in the west :ph34r:

personally I'd buy something outright, with a manual gearbox and a 'conventional engine' but yeah I appreciate that's a minority view in today's 'EV consumer clown world' :w00t:

11 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

What I am saying is new cars hold there values here first and foremost, i.e. providing you maintain it and keep a log.

The reason I say the above is because consumer laws here regarding 2nd hand vehicles is pretty weak and from what I have seen twice is, a guy I know flew to Bangkok to buy a one year old car from a dealer which had low kilometres, i.e. 17,000 kilometres and he was bosting how he was 150,000 baht better off than buying it new.

Six months down the track he's speedo stopped working so he took it to the local dealer who said to him after inspecting the speedometer, that the speedometer was not the original one, he asked how they knew that and they said, the number on the back of it don't match up with the records they have on the car. He contacted the dealer and they said, that is how they purchased the car, end of story, and then when he went to register the car he had to pay commercial rates on registration, which he sorted out later and had it reverted to private use, i.e. after he found out that the car was previously owned by a courier company, suffice to say we all know courier companies use cars to travel a lot of distances so he really doesn't know how many kilometres the car had as it was also sold with no log books which record the dates of services etc.

The other guy I know purchased a 3 year old car with low kilometres and the motor packed it in after the 3 month 2nd hand warranty expired, so he was up for a new motor.

What I am saying here is, you DON'T know what your buying with 2nd hand cars here, however I am sure lots of people have had good experiences buying 2nd hand cars here, however I can't tell you of any, apart from those that I know who have purchased 2nd hand cars have had to outlay for the usual wear and tear, comes with age, but those cars are older.

The above said, that is why I opted for a new car, and no regrets, even if I was going to lose if I sold it and returned to my home country, if things didn't work out here when I moved here, however things didn't work out.

I was protected with warranty for 3 years, I knew who was servicing the car for those 3 years and if there was a problem, warranty would cover it, but not the labour, sure I paid a bit of a premium for the servicing, but that is part and parcel of having the warranty remaining in tact.

After the 3 years warranty I purchase my own oil (premium grade) and go to a local mechanic who changes the oil for me every 15,000 kilometres and charges me 200 baht for his labour and 200 baht for the oil filter that he supplies.

In the 7 years that I have owned the car, 2 sets of tyres replaced, and a couple of minor things with kilometres that required changing are the only things that I had to pay for, plus a battery.

It's all a matter of what you want, and how much you can afford, for me, it's reliability and back up with warranty in a foreign country verses it looked good & it smelt good at the time I purchased it, but it ended up being rotten to the core on the inside, isn't something I want to experience, if you get my drift.

Some can say I'm a snob, but without strong consumer laws here from what I have heard, I went with a new car and it has paid off for me, as I take the kids to school every day and collect them (no mad minivan drivers thanks), that drive is 20 minutes each way, and we have travelled almost all over Thailand with the car, like I said absolutely no regrets, even if I don't get much for the car when I sell it, it has served it's purpose, i.e. it has proven to be very reliable & comfortable, still to this day and hasn't aged in my eyes.

The only difference is that I purchased it outright with no loan, that said, I don't know if you are aware, loans here are usually loaded, like in most countries, i.e. they load the interest to the front of the loan, so if you pay it out early, you will pay most of that interest.

To end, it is your choice, all I can do is tell you of my experience and my reasoning for purchasing new vs 2nd hand. The rest is up to you, however if you do buy 2nd hand, buy it with the log books, showing the full service history and kilometres of each service, oil change during it's warranty period and after if possible.

EDIT: As for renting, it's dead money.

Best of luck.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Love It 1

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

What I am saying is new cars hold there values here first and foremost, i.e. providing you maintain it and keep a log.

The reason I say the above is because consumer laws here regarding 2nd hand vehicles is pretty weak and from what I have seen twice is, a guy I know flew to Bangkok to buy a one year old car from a dealer which had low kilometres, i.e. 17,000 kilometres and he was bosting how he was 150,000 baht better off than buying it new.

Six months down the track he's speedo stopped working so he took it to the local dealer who said to him after inspecting the speedometer, that the speedometer was not the original one, he asked how they knew that and they said, the number on the back of it don't match up with the records they have on the car. He contacted the dealer and they said, that is how they purchased the car, end of story, and then when he went to register the car he had to pay commercial rates on registration, which he sorted out later and had it reverted to private use, i.e. after he found out that the car was previously owned by a courier company, suffice to say we all know courier companies use cars to travel a lot of distances so he really doesn't know how many kilometres the car had as it was also sold with no log books which record the dates of services etc.

The other guy I know purchased a 3 year old car with low kilometres and the motor packed it in after the 3 month 2nd hand warranty expired, so he was up for a new motor.

What I am saying here is, you DON'T know what your buying with 2nd hand cars here, however I am sure lots of people have had good experiences buying 2nd hand cars here, however I can't tell you of any, apart from those that I know who have purchased 2nd hand cars have had to outlay for the usual wear and tear, comes with age, but those cars are older.

The above said, that is why I opted for a new car, and no regrets, even if I was going to lose a little off of the top if I sold it and returned to my home country if, when I moved here, things didn't work out. I was protected with warranty for 3 years, I knew who was servicing it for those 3 years, sure I paid a bit of a premium for the servicing, but that is part and parcel of the warranty remaining in tact.

After the 3 years warranty I purchase my own oil (premium) and go to a local mechanic who changes the oil for me every 15,000 kilometres and charges me 450 baht for his labour and the oil filter that he supplies (200 baht) which is in the total charge of 450 baht.

In the 7 odd years that I have owned the car, 2 sets of tyres, and a couple of minor things with kilometres that required changing.

It's all a matter of what you want, and how much you can afford, for me, it's reliability and back up with warranty in a foreign country verses it looked good & it smelt good at the time I purchased it, but it ended up or could potentially end up being rotten on the inside, if you get my drift.

Some can say I'm a snob, but without strong consumer laws here from what I have heard, I took my chances with a new car and it has paid off for me, as I take the kids to school every day and collect them (no mad minivan drivers thanks), that drive is 20 minutes each way every day, and we have travelled almost all over Thailand with the car, like I said absolutely no regrets, even if I don't get much for the car when I sell it, it has served it's purpose, i.e. it has proven to be very reliable, comfortable, still to this day and hasn't aged in my eyes.

The only difference is that I purchased it outright with no loan, that said, I don't know if you are aware, loans here are usually loaded, like in mist countries, i.e. they load the interest to the front of the loan, so if you pay it out early up will pay that interest.

To end, it is your choice, all I can do is tell you of my experience and my reasoning for purchasing new vs 2nd hand. The rest is up to you, however if you do buy 2nd hand, buy it with the log books, showing the full service history and kilometres of each service, oil change.

EDIT: As for renting, it's dead money.

Best of luck.

All these things are true of course, Whilst it is possible to buy a good used car at a decent price, the chances that you'll be successful are much lower here than back home, plus there's no recourse whatsoever, if the proverbial wheel does fall off. Thai's are masters at making a sows ear look like a silk purse, the cover up/touch up side of things here is masterful in many products, not just cars. Renting for one or two months might make sense but not much longer, the financial case just support doing that when you're going to be here for years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My options so far;

Can buy new without too much hassle - downpayment and then around 19/20k month - I’ve looked at 36/48 months - I would have to pay off and sell if I was to leave Thailand before then.

car options:

Honda brv

toyota veloz

mitsubishi expander 

mg zs

interest goes from 0% to 1,99 to 2,19…..

I’m still looking at possibility of buying from toyotasure - trusted secondhand - they seem to have LOADS of expanders or Toyota chr - also a few Toyota cross - process range from 500 to 800.

Again we are a family of 4 with 2 young kids that’s why I like the suv type also like being higher off the ground with Bangkok traffic etc.

which of those cars is best value, will be able to sell later on etc?

like idea of electric but for my temporary stay of a few years I don’t think it’s worth it.

Thanks - I know nothing about cars so recommendations are very helpful!’

3 hours ago, Yodarapper said:

Si between the Toyota veloz (cheapest) and the Honda Brv or the Mitsubishi xpander or xpander cross which car would you recommend?

I've never driven any of those. However, you may also want to consider the suzuki ertiga hybrid. My wife owned a suzuki swift until recently and it was dirt cheap and reliable to run (much cheaper than the hondas we now own, in terms of sevice costs). 

https://www.suzuki.co.th/model/ertiga

The only way to really know what you like to to test drive all of them.