How hard is it to re-sell cars in Thailand?

Startmeup

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Take it to a few tents and get offers.

Add 80 to 100k and thats your private selling price.

I got no serious responses from FB marketplace or One2cars - eventually found a lucky buyer on Bahtsold. 

In my experience, private car sales by a non-Thai speaker can be more difficult here. 

On 2/5/2023 at 9:00 PM, realfunster said:

Not to slag off Ford but that is probably part of the issue. I quite like the Ranger but see very few in Bangkok, may be a few more upcountry.

It's still a newish and unestablished brand in Thailand. Likely questions still linger in local minds on reliability and convenience/costs of service. 

Selling the established Japanese brand cars is a lot easier. 

Many years ago, I yearned for something a bit more interesting than a Japanese car but despite my best efforts to convince myself otherwise I had to admit defeat. For a non-motor head, they offer a very good value and convenience proposition from purchase through to sale. 

https://knightlawgroup.com/ford-ranger-10speed-transmission-problems/

On 3/13/2023 at 9:51 AM, Ralf001 said:

Take it to a few tents and get offers.

Add 80 to 100k and thats your private selling price.

Honda dealer offered 140-150K for our sizuki swift when we were to buy a honda city. Mide sold it to a colleague for over 280K. Yep, never sell to a tent/dealer unles one needs fast cash. The suzuki dealer was offering us 220-270K depending on the condition of the car if we were to buy a new suzuki. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 1:24 PM, Lee65 said:

What about the paperwork involved in making a private sale?  What if the vehicle is for sale in a province other than where it was purchased/licensed?  Is it difficult to deal with Thai government offices for the transfer of ownership?  

No... all simple enough but there is paperwork involved.. Plenty of threads on this forum about that. 

I’ve sold 6 cars cars here in Thailand...  one at a ‘tent’ (I was travelling back the UK for a couple of years and needed a quick sale), the other times I was in no rush and sold privately.

It can take a week to a couple of months.... I do recall selling a car and some Westerners can get quite angry if you don’t agree to their low-ball offer !!!... other than ‘dealing’ with some *idiots and times wasters... selling a car privately is easy enough.

*Idiots:

One Western guy got angry, and started hassling me telling me I need a course in 'business 101’ because I wouldn’t drop my price by 25% for him (car sold for the price I wanted a few weeks later)

A different car, a different Westerner kept hassling me to lower the price... I had to get firm and ask him to stop bothering me, the price is fixed. He got angry and sent insulting messages - I had to tell to get lost and that I wouldn’t be selling the car to him even if he offered the correct price !!!... 

Thai’s are different... some ask plenty of polite questions, go away, ask more questions, confirm 100% interest... and then you never hear from them again !!!

On 3/13/2023 at 8:03 AM, G Rex said:

I got no serious responses from FB marketplace or One2cars - eventually found a lucky buyer on Bahtsold. 

In my experience, private car sales by a non-Thai speaker can be more difficult here. 

Any time I’ve sold something here in Thailand, be it a watch, car, motorcycle etc... I’ve always written the Ad in two languages...   In English, then Google Translate into Thai (and asked the Wife to check it)..

I also always put the number down for a Fluent Thai Speaker (Wife) and and English Speaker (myself)... that opens things up a bit as Thai’s do prefer to deal with Thai’s unless the prospective buyer has semi-decent English. 

I’ve not encountered any difficulty because I’m not Thai.... there are usually simple ways around a lot of hurdles. 

• Like 1

Be cautious of re-sellers..

I recall selling a car a while back... I arranged to meet with a guy in a car-park and he started taking photo’s all around my car. I realised quite quickly that he wasn’t the one selling the car, but was simply going to re-list it for a ’bumped up price’... (and if you have priced properly in the first place it won’t go for a bumped up price !).

I’ve found the same with property, when I’ve listed our house we get loads of interest... the first question to ask is are you buying yourself or are you an agent....  (agents are time wasters here). 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Any time I’ve sold something here in Thailand, be it a watch, car, motorcycle etc... I’ve always written the Ad in two languages...   In English, then Google Translate into Thai (and asked the Wife to check it)..

I also always put the number down for a Fluent Thai Speaker (Wife) and and English Speaker (myself)... that opens things up a bit as Thai’s do prefer to deal with Thai’s unless the prospective buyer has semi-decent English. 

I’ve not encountered any difficulty because I’m not Thai.... there are usually simple ways around a lot of hurdles. 

I do exactly the same thing - but have still had little response. (In saying that, I have sold 4 cars & 3 drones over the last 2 years - but I price fairly for a quick sale)

Yes - resellers are a pain - and generally try to beat you down drastically on price. 

All I can say is that buying and selling of vehicles was much easier in my home country (Australia)