Kanchanaburi - River Khae for 3 or 4 nights

grain

I'll fly into BKK near end Feb, my wife will meet me there and after spending first night at a hotel in BKK, I'd like us to go somewhere nice for a few nights but not too far away from BKK. Don't want to go to Pattaya or HuaHin but thinking Kanchanaburi would be good. A peaceful riverside resort with river view would be nice, or one of those raft houses. If possible I wouldn't want to be too far out of the town as we'd probably like to go into the town in the evenings for dinner and a walk around. So does anyone have any recommendations for nice places to stay for a few nights? Nothing too pricey, maybe 1500Bt a night max. 

Staying on the River Kwai in a floating raft resort will not allow you to go into town unfortunately as you take a boat out to the resorts and it is a ways out to the boat ramp.  However, If you stayed in Kanchanaburi you could stay near the Bridge over the River Kwai, see the war museum, the cemetery and the historic location across the bridge if you wish to see that.  Really not much to do in town.  We stayed here for 2 days, not a bad location as your right near the bridge and the price is right.

https://www.riverkwaibridgeresort.com/?set_lang=en

We also stayed here on another trip, and you have a view of the river and Bridge.

https://www.riverkwaiview.com/

Look at Booking .com for assistance

https://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-us.html?ss=Kanchanaburi+City&ssne=Kanchanaburi+City&ssne_untouched=Kanchanaburi+City&highlighted_hotels=5725934&efdco=1&label=duc511jc-1DCAso3QFCG3RoZS1yaXZlcmt3YWktYnJpZGdlLXJlc29ydEgzWANopwKIAQGYATG4ARfIAQzYAQPoAQH4AQKIAgGoAgO4AtP__Z4GwAIB0gIkMGZjZjM3MDYtZWFmOC00YTkyLWFiYjMtMDcyODdiMTExYmRh2AIE4AIB&sid=24de11237ae2cadb2f5e781aae65b7f0&aid=390156&lang=en-us&sb=1&src_elem=sb&src=searchresults&dest_id=-3248677&dest_type=city&checkin=2023-02-27&checkout=2023-02-28&group_adults=2&no_rooms=1&group_children=0&sb_travel_purpose=leisure

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's one on the river, VN GuestHouse, basic/budget, and has decent restaurant & veranda at, besides sitting riverside outside your room.  Have a few 'floating rooms', and did NOT stay in, but riverfront room gave you the same view, depending which room.

Was actually my 'go to' since a CC at the time, and comfy enough, along with close enough to some food vendors.  But basic accommodations, and haven't stayed there for quite some time, though doubt if anything changed, hopefully.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/VN+Guesthouse/@14.029827,99.522657,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipM3T9nBndzC60YQb1od_WUYhRAuJxYz0rw48xwG!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM3T9nBndzC60YQb1od_WUYhRAuJxYz0rw48xwG%3Dw203-h152-k-no!7i5120!8i3840!4m9!3m8!1s0x30e374ea9f03e1b9:0x35347d17aa39778!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d14.029827!4d99.522657!16s%2Fg%2F1td10qdt

• Like 2

Many thanks everyone for your recommendations and links, you've all been very helpful. Salerno mentioned transportation, and this is something that concerns me a little. We do have a car but my wife isn't a very experienced driver so she won't be driving into BKK (from Korat), she'll take a van in to meet me, so if we go to Kanchanaburi we won't have our own transportation. So I guess we'll be better staying close to the river but close to the town as well. Anyway, thanks again everyone, I still have a couple of weeks to check out those links and make a choice, but I now have some good recommendations.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, grain said:

Salerno mentioned transportation, and this is something that concerns me a little.

Only mentioned mainly with regard to tours, of which there are plenty, but most of the time I prefer to do my own thing. For example, one trip we did was Erawan Falls (well worth a visit BTW) the timing wasn't the best IMO, by the time we climbed to the top we only had about 15 minutes before we had to head back down for lunch (don't think the tour expects people to do all 7 levels), then we wasted close to an hour and a half more than lunch actually required - if we had a car we could have enjoyed taking more time getting to the top and chilling more when there, and wouldn't have been stuck so long in a pretty poor restaurant area (call me a cynic but it may have had something to do with the shops trying to sell tourist <deleted>) before heading onto the next attraction.

Other trips all pick up from the accommodation too so personal transport more of a preference than an out and out necessity.

As mentioned from the resort I posted, you can walk into town via the bridge, 20- 30 minutes easily with a gentle stroll.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

I go to Kan every year for a few nights.   For a scenario involving no transport, right on the river, and easy walking distance to a variety of restaurants both western and Thai, I would recommend the Good Times Resort.   I checked the prices for a weekend around the end of this month and it comes in at the top of your budget circa 1500 baht/night.   Very good buffet breakfast so I would go for a rate that includes that.

https://www.good-times-resort.com/

Looks very nice and price is good, thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Only mentioned mainly with regard to tours, of which there are plenty, but most of the time I prefer to do my own thing. For example, one trip we did was Erawan Falls (well worth a visit BTW) the timing wasn't the best IMO, by the time we climbed to the top we only had about 15 minutes before we had to head back down for lunch (don't think the tour expects people to do all 7 levels), then we wasted close to an hour and a half more than lunch actually required - if we had a car we could have enjoyed taking more time getting to the top and chilling more when there, and wouldn't have been stuck so long in a pretty poor restaurant area (call me a cynic but it may have had something to do with the shops trying to sell tourist <deleted>) before heading onto the next attraction.

Other trips all pick up from the accommodation too so personal transport more of a preference than an out and out necessity.

As mentioned from the resort I posted, you can walk into town via the bridge, 20- 30 minutes easily with a gentle stroll.

Cheers Salerno, I usually have motoring holidays in Thailand. I guess not having the car on this one we'll need stay at a resort close, like the one you recommend, so we can walk.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Looking more comfy than the VN guest house that I suggested.

VN GuestHouse looks very nice, I particularly like the look of that balcony photo looking over the river. Many thanks for your recommendation, it's certainly one I'm considering. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, pagallim said:

I go to Kan every year for a few nights.   For a scenario involving no transport, right on the river, and easy walking distance to a variety of restaurants both western and Thai, I would recommend the Good Times Resort.   I checked the prices for a weekend around the end of this month and it comes in at the top of your budget circa 1500 baht/night.   Very good buffet breakfast so I would go for a rate that includes that.

https://www.good-times-resort.com/

Gets my vote as well. Stayed there 4 times.

• Like 1

Last month spent 3 nights at the "Natee, the Riverfront Hotel"..not far from Good Times but it is in the middle of the small bar/restaurant street, so can walk around in the evening to eat or drink.

Lots of parking, easy reception, excellent breakfast and very nice rooms overlooking the river.

Definitely recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Last month spent 3 nights at the "Natee, the Riverfront Hotel"..not far from Good Times but it is in the middle of the small bar/restaurant street, so can walk around in the evening to eat or drink.

Lots of parking, easy reception, excellent breakfast and very nice rooms overlooking the river.

Definitely recommend.

Stayed there a couple of times also, and agree with most of your points, certainly in terms of its central location.   However, double the price that the OP was thinking of spending (circa 4K/night), and whilst having river views, is quite well set back from the water.   Decent breakfast though.

• Like 2