Take off emergency in Phuket, nightclub 'harassment' : Tim Newton Today - Feb 6

webfact

image.jpeg

Azur Airlines jet engine 'blow out' during take off in Phuket, tourists 'harassed' at a BKK nightclub over the weekend, cleaner air around Thailand today and installation of 'air cleaners', Thailand's offering for the WORST cuisine in the world, test run for new Thai PM?

(Aircraft photos from [email protected])

Link to our online auction of Toy Elephants, raising money for Seeds of Change...
https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/bes...

Thanks to our sponsors 5 Star Marine in Phuket...
https://5starmarinephuket.com

Tim Newton Today is a daily, independent look at Thai and south East Asian regional news.

5 hours ago, Don Chance said:

What happened with TIm and the Thaiger?  I thought Tim started the web site, then i read that some media mogul started it. Doesn't seem the same with Tim at the Thaiger.

They parted ways [he was forced out] some time ago. 

59 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

They parted ways [he was forced out] some time ago. 

That's too bad. Tim put a lot of effort into the biz. Reminds me of the other Phuket blog that had to flee the country a few years ago. I guess Tim can be thankful he is not in jail or worse.   

So let me get this straight: The Keystone Cops raid RCA under the pretext of locating the ringleaders of a gang of online scammers and subsequently broaden the scope of their “mandate” to search patrons for drugs, conduct on the spot urine tests and check tourists’ passports for overstays? 

Just more confirmation, in case anybody needs some, that these clowns are incapable of learning from their mistakes.

On 2/6/2023 at 7:13 PM, fusion58 said:

subsequently broaden the scope of their “mandate” to search patrons for drugs

People staying up all night dancing and drinking to "take the edge off" generally are "on something" a little stronger than soda pop.

Shooting fish in a barrel. ????

On 2/6/2023 at 9:43 AM, JudoChop said:

Begs the question about sanctions on Russia and the subsequent inability for Russian companies to acquire spare US manufactured airplane parts.  

From China...

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/116643-russia-can-fly-jets-for-five-years-source-parts-from-china#:~:text=Russia can rely on China,told the news agency TASS.

On 2/6/2023 at 4:08 PM, JoseThailand said:

How come are they still allowed to fly internationally, without spare parts and proper maintenance? It's a huge safety threat for all the countries they fly over!

Btw, it was an engine fire, and the tires blew out during the emergency stop.

Perhaps they can't fly into or out of some / maybe many countries but make the most (revenue) by focusing on the countries who are more lax in terms of safety stuff?  

Over the years TG has been banned from flying in / flying out of some countries because of safety items. 

I recall decades ago having to fly urnetly from HK to Mumbai to try to close a very big consulting contract.

My HK admin. staff got me on Air India (I would have refused if i'de known more before the flight).

Before we landed there was an announcement that there would be no return flight because the airline had, that day, been banned from landing in HK.

Staff came around with a form for passengers wih return tickets back to HK to complete. Basically all the details on all the various vouchers of the hand written ticket (before computerized issue of tickets and  e.tickets). Passengers had to also indicate whether they wished to return to HK (on another airline) or change to a different arrival airport.

I changed my next arrival destinaion from HK to S'pore.

We landed in Mumbai. Folks with the completed form were ushered to one side just inside the terminal. A small team waiting with a photo copy machine.

Each passenger with this form had their form registered (all by hand in an exercise book) then photocopied, the original held by the airline, and  the copy given back to the passenger.

I had a call early next morning from SG, they wanted to check if I still wanted to do the return by changing to s'pore and when? Also a comment, 'best to fly Mumbai to S'pore very quickly in case SG imposes any restrictions re flight coming out of India/Mumbai'.

I indicated that I would like to fly Mumbai to S'pore the next morning.

S'pore confirmed that but said again 'anything can happen re flights out of India not being allowed to land in other countries'.

• (luckily I was able to reschedule my meeting aimed at winning the contract to the evening I arrived in Mumbai and we did win the contract, which quickly became a mess re travel and accomm, refusal of the staff of the contract client in India to cooperate and more.
  • Eventually I held a couple of meetings using the first versions of Skype and got the client to agree to reduce the scope of the contract and got their agreement to promply pay a much reduced consulting fee. They promised to pay in 14 days, they did pay, after they reduced my bill by a further 20% at 90 days. Luckily the payment did cover all my company expenses and covered the notional value of the consulting time we had spent on the work.)

SG called again to ask If I could be ready to fly out of Mumbai within 4 hours. I readily agreed and got to Mumbai airport as fast as possible. Total confusuion but I did get on the SG flight 1 hr later than what had been planned. Luckily the SG aircraft was allowed to land at Changi.  

Edited by scorecard