The Customs Department has issued a new policy to facilitate the opening of the country. Do not search for tourists using brand-name products

webfact

7 hours ago, Andycoops said:

If it's one bag or one watch it will most obviously be a personal item.

If it's several of each of those items then it would be reasonable to assume smuggling for profit was taking place.

Hang on a minute, there are some very important issues for which I use my iPhone and to facilitate this should I have a mishap with it I bring a backup iPhone, I also bring a Samsung which I use exclusively in the U.K. doing so the moment I arrive back there.

The second iPhone is not loaded but ready to be so with all of my backed up info stored in iCloud and both additional phones are switched off during my sojourn here.

Therefore does your assumption through one’s necessity to carry such additional items brand me as a smuggler or are you just being ignorantly facetious?

What great achievment is this? It was always illegal to charge tourists import tax for bringing along their own valubles as long as they leave the country taking them back. Name one country where a tourist needs to pay import tax when entering for a short holiday for a handbag that she is actually using or jewels she is wearing! The correct way would always have been to write a document and pay a deposit at max, then get back that deposit upon leaving with ... but Thais always tried to steal your money. Nothing new...

I travel for taking pictures. My equipment is expensive. Since Thai customs ripped off so many visitors I stopped taking my equipment (and coming to Thailand). What will change now?? I don't trust that corrupt country that changes rules every 10 hours and implements and not implements rules depending on personal mood of the officer. Corrupt Thai military government, start being reliable and trustworth or watch how your country stays hungry!

Edited by pp00

10 hours ago, Andycoops said:

If it's one bag or one watch it will most obviously be a personal item.

If it's several of each of those items then it would be reasonable to assume smuggling for profit was taking place.

Has Thai customs finally joined the rest of the world, we shall wait and see...

How about a carton of smokes for personal use? Years ago my backpack was searched in Australia and I was charged custom for it, even though I was smoking while waiting to be checked (was still legal back then) and it was obviously for personal use and not commercial qty.

Last 2 visits to Oz in 2019 same thing.

7 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I have nothing to declare, Madam. These belong to a dear deceased friend of mine...

The million dollar arms! Have you seen this many pieces? . . . | Luxury  watches, Creative watch, Cool watches

Nothing to declare, I bought them so cheap from a nice guy by the street that had to many and apparently just wanted to get rid of them. He also had forgot his receipt book at home. I also thought they were broken none of them show the same correct date. A few net even correct time.

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

You know quite a while back you had to fill out a customs declaration prior to landing and it demanded that expensive items like laptops were declared.

I don't think you need to fill that same form out but they definitely were interested in 'high value' items carried by tourists which most likely would have in fact been relatively cheap laptops costing 50 to 100k Baht equivalent.

I was surprised to learn that many countries want VAT / DUTY payments to drive across the border in foreign vehicles, temporary import paperwork and all sorts of shenanigans. Greedy furcks every one of them

Your last paragraph. Of course in most EU USA countries you can buy any luxury good you desire , but you pay VAT if buying elsewhere where the VAT or duty free has been deducted. Tax logic of course. Also it’s to support the countries / companies that actually manufacture those goods, keeping their employment and continuing the quality of luxury goods. Small example , designers the world over buy their precious lace from Alençon France. Brings in a fortune . 

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

I've never been questioned or searched by Thai customs officers anyway, and they don't exactly look very alert whenever I walk past them in the green lane. Half asleep or playing with their phones, more like. 

I did get my suitcase scanned coming in to the old (DM) airport once. Only time since 1985.