Student, 16, lost 500K from bank account in one day - she never used banking app or had call center contact

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

She had informed the police and the bank but everything had gone quiet.

Her uncle Preecha said the bank claimed that it was an inside job within the family, a notion they all dismissed.

So follow the account and see where the deposit was made, then pass the information to the police who will do the rest.. 

Ohh that's right they don't always do their job.

Good luck with the cyber cops.

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

That's what I do, have to go inside the bank with the bankbook, as I don't use plastic cards (don't have any).

Most (if not all) Thai banks let you make cardless withdrawals from ATMs using their app - no plastic card needed. I was issued an ATM card, but have never used it. 

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

How can she have a transfer slip if the transfer wasn't done using the app? At my bank, you get them only if you use mobile banking.

Forgive me for being a bit slow here but if you use mobile banking, exactly where does the transfer slip come out ?

13 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Most (if not all) Thai banks let you make cardless withdrawals from ATMs using their app - no plastic card needed. I was issued an ATM card, but have never used it. 

Yep, don't need/use the card but you'll still get charged an annual fee if you don't cancel it.????

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, mancub said:

Yep, don't need/use the card but you'll still get charged an annual fee if you don't cancel it.????

I don't have an ATM card, I have my Kasikorn credit card linked to my savings account, I can withdraw cash using my credit card and selecting savings account on the menu.  

No fees for me.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I was in LOS the bank book had to be updated every time I withdrew money. Is that no longer in effect?

I don't think that has ever been the case unless you're making a counter withdrawal.   Do you update your book every time you make an ATM? withdrawal

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Didn't think minors were allowed access to bank accounts (even when in their name).

When 15 years old they can have an account in their name with full access, both debit cards and banking app – my daughter got it when she turned 15, I have no access to or control with her account...????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dart12 said:

an example of defamation laws working against everyone.  This bank needs to be outted.

no need to out the bank just look at the pic and it tells you which banks were involved.

Also if I withdraw online or I pay anything I have to do an OTP.  

Withdrawing from the atm I get the slip but the form he is showing is online.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, watchcat said:

Ever heard of cash?

Sadly (for you) that option is likely to vanish in the near future the way commerce is heading However, have YOU ever heard of Pre-paid cards?

I find them useful inasmuch as i can only EVER lose the funds actually on the account. I use https://www.pockit.com/ but there are others available.

4 hours ago, Cricky said:

It's mysterious how a 16yo student would have 500K baht.

More mysterious is your reading comprehension. It has been posted in the OP and several comments that she received the money on the death of her parents. 

• Like 2

The majority of bank transfer fraud could be fully prevented if the banks would require an OTP be sent to the mobile phone number registered on the account before any electronic transfers can occur out of the account. But the banks don’t offer that as a security measure unfortunately. 

Short of that, most of the big banks allow you to set daily transfer limits to very low limits in their banking apps. Setting these daily limits very conservatively will prevent accounts from getting fully cleared out within a matter of minutes. Again, the issue is the default limits on the apps are by default pretty high. So people should reduce the daily limits immediately from the app after setting up their online banking. Or just disable outgoing electronic transfers on accounts completely from the banking app if the facility isn’t needed, which is another great security option. 

Edited by HugoFastor
Corrections
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, HugoFastor said:

The majority of bank transfer fraud could be fully prevented if the banks would require an OTP be sent to the mobile phone number registered on the account before any electronic transfers can occur out of the account. But the banks don’t offer that as a security measure unfortunately. 

They do!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

They do!

What the banks provide is an SMS notification after an outgoing transaction has occurred. What they don’t provide is an OTP via SMS text message with a code that needs to be entered back into the banking app (for security purposes) before the outgoing electronic funds transfer transaction can be completed.

UOB definitely doesn’t offer it and SCB, KBANK, and BBL don’t seem to offer it either. 

• Like 1

Another bank employee ripping off a customer.

Hopefully she'll get her money back soon. 

These banks seem to distance themselves despite it being the employer of the dubious employee. 

Very common in Thailand unfortunately. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, lkn said:

Sounds like it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out how the money was transferred and some more information about the owner of the receiving account.

I guess the real story here is that nobody takes crime serious in Thailand.

Only the prospect of collecting a fine, seems to motivate the police to do anything.

Yes.  Whoever holds the account and whoever made/authorised the transfers must surely be in on it.

There will obviously be a paper-trail from start to finish.  The only exception being what happened to the money after it was withdrawn from the target account.

If this isn't acted upon, it's because they simply cannot be bothered to look into it.

• Like 1