Student, 16, lost 500K from bank account in one day - she never used banking app or had call center contact

webfact

13 hours ago, webfact said:

286022-1024x577.jpg

Assuming that this shows one of the transfers:

This is the slip that gets saved to your phone when you do a transfer, afaik there is no way to download it later, or on another device etc.

So since they have this slip, which was probably on her phone, it's clear that somebody used her phone to do the transfers.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, HugoFastor said:

What they don’t provide is an OTP via SMS text message with a code that needs to be entered back into the banking app (for security purposes) before the outgoing electronic funds transfer transaction can be completed.

Correct, OTP is only for online transfers (i.e. via web browser).

But it wouldn’t make a lot of sense with OTP for phone app transfer, as the bank app already seems to be locked to your phone (you need to have a Thai SIM-card when setting up the app).

However, both Krungthai and Kasikorn require a PIN when I do a transfer, in addition to the biometric scan to access the app (Face ID in my case).

So if you want to transfer money via my banking app, you need to steal my phone, bypass Face ID, and guess my banking PIN.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I must receive an OTP before I can send to anyone, and the name of the payee shows before I confirm the transaction

I experienced something similar,  had an account with SCB. 5000 THB was stolen from my account, none of my fault.

It was eventually restored, I was lucky it was 5000.

I think the Thai banks encryption is not as strong as developed countries

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, finnomick1 said:

Forgive me for being a bit slow here but if you use mobile banking, exactly where does the transfer slip come out ?

I get an email and a pictorial slip is stored on the phone. Although I am not expecting a 16yo Thai girl to have her account security in mind above Tik Tok, twitter and all that other nonsense.  

52 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

It seems the banks are not going to compensate for many of these cases.

With the shi7e interest rates probably better to keep it in the house.

At least its safer at the moment.

In a safe, or under the bed?????

23 hours ago, kwak250 said:

It seems the banks are not going to compensate for many of these cases.

With the shi7e interest rates probably better to keep it in the house.

At least its safer at the moment.

Unlikely, as loose lips sink ships.

and this lot like to  boast. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 11:39 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

When I was in LOS the bank book had to be updated every time I withdrew money. Is that no longer in effect?

I didn't do anything on line etc.

Not with any of the four accounts myself and my wife have (two Kasikorn and two TTB) if using an ATM or online banking. You can take the bankbook in and have it updated if you want, but it's not mandatory. 

On 2/7/2023 at 10:20 PM, DrJoy said:

I think the Thai banks encryption is not as strong as developed countries

This is highly unlikely. If banks had a weak link like this, I think we would see a lot more stories about people losing money, and strong encryption is table stakes for a software development platform/framework.

You also see people losing money from their bank account in the “developed world”, and it pretty much always comes down to some sort of social engineering.

I recently signed up for online banking with Kasikorn. They got the last four digits of my phone number wrong, customer service could confirm this, and also confirm that my real number was associated with my account (just not online banking).

It was required to receive an initial OTP to activate my account, and the customer service representative told me that under no circumstances were she allowed to fix my wrong number, for this, I had to come to the branch with the usual set of documents.

Quite sure that policy had been instated to limit the possibility of a social engineering attack.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...