Bid to strip senators’ of power to elect PM foiled due to lack of a quorum

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2022-12-01T171833.129.png

An attempt to amend the Constitution, to strip senators of the power to elect the prime minister, at a joint sitting of parliament today (Wednesday) has failed after the meeting collapsed due to the lack of a quorum.

President of the Parliament Chuan Leekpai informed the meeting that 95 senators and 15 MPs took leave today and there were only 308 legislators in the chamber, short of the 333 required to make up a quorum. He then adjourned the meeting at 12.02pm.

The motion to amend Section 159 of the Constitution and to revoke Section 272 was proposed by Pheu Thai MPs, led by party leader Chonlanan Srikaew.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bid-to-strip-senators-of-power-to-elect-pm-foiled-due-to-lack-of-a-quorum/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-02-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

An attempt to amend the Constitution, to strip senators of the power to elect the prime minister, at a joint sitting of parliament today (Wednesday) has failed after the meeting collapsed due to the lack of a quorum.

Well I'll be.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

President of the Parliament Chuan Leekpai informed the meeting that 95 senators and 15 MPs took leave today

Very strange,  95 senators took leave of absence so they didn't have to vote themselves out of power of choosing the next PM?

Now you know it's rigged, democracy my backside.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 12:36 AM, chickenslegs said:

With an election due in the next few months Thailand could have another unelected PM for 4 years.

What a coincidence that Senators were absent in sufficient numbers to prevent the vote.

Nearly unbelievable that they all happened to be away on more pressing affairs that day, just shows their interests are directed towards the well being of the people. 

Edited by Artisi

On 2/8/2023 at 8:20 PM, Dogmatix said:

It doesn't matter much. Next year the Senate's power to vote for the PM will lapse anyway. 

On 2/8/2023 at 8:36 PM, chickenslegs said:

With an election due in the next few months Thailand could have another unelected PM for 4 years.

What a coincidence that Senators were absent in sufficient numbers to prevent the vote.

And it doesn't take the brains of an archbishop that once that has happened, then there will be a constitutional amendment, to make those powers permanent.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:36 PM, chickenslegs said:

95 took leave on the same day? And no one said no? 

How do they get any work done? 

28 minutes ago, phetphet said:

95 took leave on the same day? And no one said no? 

How do they get any work done? 

They don't (get any work done) it's only a dog and pony show at best. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 1:50 AM, mark131v said:

What can you say, no surprise here. They are absolute bottom dwelling scum bags who are, to a man/woman, an utter and complete disgrace to the Thai people and humanity in general

Unfortunately you tend to get the government and leaders you deserve and that's the point in this case, effectively you reap what you sow

The fact the average citizen and the few half decent leader's are too lazy and gutless to put a stop to these practices means they will go on infinitum until the majority grow a pair and make it stop, won't hold my breath...

Well Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit was the leader of the Future Forward Party and he was stripped of his MP status by dubious methods at the last "free and fair election".

The Future Forward Party was disbanded through that decision and over 6 million young electors lost their vote and their voice.

The EC went even further and broke their own rules on how many votes a political party needed to gain a party list MP.

Quote from your post

"Unfortunately you tend to get the government and leaders you deserve and that's the point in this case, effectively you reap what you sow".

Sadly the Thai people did NOT get the government that they deserve at the last election.

I sincerely hope that the next election will be far harder for the current government, the EC and the Judiciary to manipulate and I truly hope that the un-elected senate is shut down and a new, elected by the people, Senate is put in place.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

I sincerely hope that the next election will be far harder for the current government, the EC and the Judiciary to manipulate and I truly hope that the un-elected senate is shut down and a new, elected by the people, Senate is put in place.

I share your hope. I am sure many do.

I think it will be a real fight. The current system was put in place to maintain power in the hand of certain circles. They will not give it up easily.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I share your hope. I am sure many do.

I think it will be a real fight. The current system was put in place to maintain power in the hand of certain circles. They will not give it up easily.

The current system is greatly reflective of how it's been forever. The particular circles have been in place for quite some time - the surface and minor players continue revolving through the same doors. The theatre remains the same. 

Trimming a few branches here and there, doesn't solve anything. The roots require digging up and permanently severed.

The only manner in which change will ever come is a revamped planting of a new tree.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

The current system is greatly reflective of how it's been forever. The particular circles have been in place for quite some time - the surface and minor players continue revolving through the same doors. The theatre remains the same. 

Trimming a few branches here and there, doesn't solve anything. The roots require digging up and permanently severed.

The only manner in which change will ever come is a revamped planting of a new tree.  

I agree. To rip up the roots needs, eventually, for the realisation to sink in that the foundation of the pillars on which the house of control is built are sunk in sand. Once that happens it will fall.

There you go, I have criticized you often enough for speaking in riddles but I am sure you and others get my meaning!

• Love It 1